News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Chromebook reset itself?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by

SkipH 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

pkoryn
      AskWoody Plus

Got a new Chromebook a little over a month ago.  Got it all set up, managed to get a printer to work with it and had an additional user added and it’s been working fine.  Today, when I turned it on, it was as if it had just come out of the box.  Had to set it all up from scratch.  What happened?  I didn’t reset it or powerwash it.  Any ideas why it would have done this and, more importantly, how to keep it from happening again?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #344811 Reply

JohnW
      AskWoody Plus

Here is a recent Chromebook help forum thread that seems to indicate you are not alone.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/thread/916321?hl=en

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #347577 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

There’s no question that Chromebooks have hardware problems, just like what you’re seeing.

I think it’s an isolated incident, but JohnW’s thread makes me wonder.

Glad to hear HP is standing by its product. I’d be very interested in hearing if the replacement has the same problem.

My (very) old Chromebook still works like a champ, and my new one doesn’t have any problems at all. But of course your mileage may well vary.

• #347640 Reply

pkoryn

Thanks Woody for your response.  Out of curiosity – what brands of Chromebooks do you use?I will report back on how HP handles this situation and if I receive a “new” Chromebook from them, will also report on any problems encountered (hopefully it will be smooth sailing!)

• #347675 Reply

SkipH
      AskWoody Lounger

@woody:

Is your (very) old Chromebook still receiving updates from Google?

I know various older brands and models have a potential cut-off date (at Google’s discretion) when they will no longer receive updates.

What’s the status of your ‘old’ one? Is it nearing or into the potential update cut-off deadline (and still receiving updates)?

Brand and model number if you care to disclose that information?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Chromebook reset itself?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.