• Church Firewall Recommendation

Author
    Topic

I’m the Accidental IT guy at a medium size church. Our ancient firewall, a Linksys RV016, died.. Right now we’ve fallen back to using the firewall built into the Comcast modem at the medium settings. But the Comcast modem does not support remote users. So right now, everybody has to come to church to work. Not ideal these days.

I’m good at supporting Windows and home users, but business grade firewalls are not my strong suit. I need some help choosing a replacement

We have two Windows servers (2008R2 and 2016), about 20 Windows clients, a video streaming setup, and around a maximum 20 guest devices worst case. The guest devices had been on a separate VLAN that just let them access the Internet.

Our IT team of three is disagreeing on how much a firewall we need. One, freshly retired from an enterprise IT network job, wants to go all-out with a FortiGate-30E + 5 year support for $$$$. The rest of us think that is way overkill (and a budget buster). We contacted another source what would build us a pfSense box for a few hundred $$$, which sounds great. But he got booked elsewhere and can’t help us right now.

I can find pfSense boxes on Amazon from Netgate, Protectli, and others, but don’t don’t know enough to figure out which would suit us.

Can you give me any suggestions? I’m on a fairly short timeline.

Thanks 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
    Author
    Replies
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    Reply To: Church Firewall Recommendation

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: