News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Church Firewall Recommendation

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration Church Firewall Recommendation

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        BByg3223
        AskWoody Plus

I’m the Accidental IT guy at a medium size church. Our ancient firewall, a Linksys RV016, died.. Right now we’ve fallen back to using the firewall built into the Comcast modem at the medium settings. But the Comcast modem does not support remote users. So right now, everybody has to come to church to work. Not ideal these days.

I’m good at supporting Windows and home users, but business grade firewalls are not my strong suit. I need some help choosing a replacement

We have two Windows servers (2008R2 and 2016), about 20 Windows clients, a video streaming setup, and around a maximum 20 guest devices worst case. The guest devices had been on a separate VLAN that just let them access the Internet.

Our IT team of three is disagreeing on how much a firewall we need. One, freshly retired from an enterprise IT network job, wants to go all-out with a FortiGate-30E + 5 year support for $$$$. The rest of us think that is way overkill (and a budget buster). We contacted another source what would build us a pfSense box for a few hundred $$$, which sounds great. But he got booked elsewhere and can’t help us right now.

I can find pfSense boxes on Amazon from Netgate, Protectli, and others, but don’t don’t know enough to figure out which would suit us.

Can you give me any suggestions? I’m on a fairly short timeline.

Thanks 🙂

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The Netgate 2100 seems about right ($299). One WAN port and 4 LAN ports that you can split into VLANs.

Can’t go too far wrong with pfSense.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Michael432
        AskWoody_MVP

I suggest a Peplink Balance 20x. Its $400 US. You can read about a similar, but less powerful (and cheaper) Peplink router here

https://routersecurity.org/pepwavesurfsoho.php

Configuration does not require a networking expert, but it does allow you to grow into whatever complex config you might need in the future. Here is what to expect as far as config goes.

https://routersecurity.org/SurfSOHOinitialconfiguration.php

Get up to speed on router security at RouterSecurity.org and Defensive Computing at DefensiveComputingChecklist.com

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Church Firewall Recommendation

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.