News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Clarification of First Time Setup Recommendations for Win 10 Pro

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Clarification of First Time Setup Recommendations for Win 10 Pro

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  MrJimPhelps 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

anonymous

I am a current Windows 7 user and I will be setting up a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro. I have read many posts with recommendations on what to do.

I could use additional clarification on these suggested steps:

-Open Shell to give a workable menu… what exactly does this mean and is it something someone with limited knowledge should be messing with?

-Install wushowhide.diagcab (download from Microsoft)…if this is to be done before I go online, how can I download this?

-I have no idea what version will be installed. Will all the update blocking settings allow me to make a more informed decision on what I allow to install the first time I “Check for Updates”? I suppose I should Clear the Windows Update Queue first as well.

Thanks to everyone!

• #1826602 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

There are two references that may help you:

First-time Win10 setup
      and
      Win10 Update settings

• #1829260 Reply

anonymous

I read both of  those references and these were the questions I had after reading them. I am not at all familiar with Shell and am confused by the instructions to download wushowhide.diagcab before I go online – seems I would have to go online in order to do this.

• #1829271 Reply

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Set your internet connection to “metered” and it will keep updates at bay until you are ready – hopefully.

cheers, Paul

• #1830287 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

You download wushowhide on another computer (family’s, friend’s, work ?)  and save it to a USB stick (for example). Then put it on your computer.
        You do the install OFFLINE to prevent updating during the install and download of bloatware MS will install if you do the install online.

I would NOT trust metered connections to prevent any of that. MS only respects metered connections when it wants to do so.

You can download Open Shell from  MajorGeeks.

• #1869699 Reply

LHiggins
          AskWoody Plus

Just a quick question about installing Open Shell on a brand new Win 10 computer. Would I need to download that on a different computer and then install on the Win 10 machine while it is offline, or is that one that can be downloaded and installed later once the basics are taken care of?

Thanks!

• #1869701 Reply

PKCano
            Da Boss

You can install Open Shell online or offline. I usually install it one of the first things because it makes navigation so much easier. I can actually find what I’m looking for.

But you need to check all the settings under the Settings app and Controp Panel, turn on System Restore, set your default programs, set Windows Update so you can control updates, etc, before you face Microsoft online.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1831393 Reply

anonymous

Thank you. One final question. Once I have to actually apply updates, does the procedure work somewhat like Win 7 where I check the updates I want to install? Is there a step by step instruction somewhere on the site (like Topic 2000003 for Win 7 Group B) that gives patches to avoid and reiterates the how to instructions? Sorry, I have not followed along for Win 10 and tried looking it up on the site, but did not find anything.

I really appreciate the help!

• #1831397 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Up until now, “check for updates” in Win10 actually has meant download and install everything pending. However, there is hope that will change with the changes Microsoft has made to Windows Update beginning with the June Cumulative Updates. But we don’t know yet how that is going to work since it has not been out long enough to say.

There is no choosing Win10 updates – you either take the CUs, or not. The Windows updates and the .NET updates are both cumulative. Even if you skip a month, the next month contains the one you skipped. The best you can do is defer, (so far). You can, however, hide the microcode updates using wushowhide. The link above for Win10 update settings has reference to AKB2000013, which has instructions for hiding updates.

• #1831402 Reply

anonymous

Once again, Thank you so much!

• #1831411 Reply

anonymous

Sorry, I just realized I was asking do I have to undo any of the settings to allow the updates to install and then reset them afterwards to block again?

• #1831427 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

If you have paused updates, you will have to un-pause them. You will not be able to re-pause updates again until you have installed the pending ones.

If you have deferred updates, you will have to reduce/remove the deferral time if you want to install the updates now.

How the new settings in Windows Update work, we will have a better idea after June Patch Tuesday when the new settings go into effect for the general population.

• #1869817 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

If you are new to actually using Windows 10, I recommend you try the Windows 10 start menu before installing some third party product. You should be able to quickly get used to the Windows 10 way of doing things. I pin my most used apps to the taskbar. Another group I pin to the start menu where they show up as tiles. I have created some tile folders for a group such as Office. This covers the apps I use regularly. If I want to start an app not pinned anywhere I use the Windows key to popup the start menu. If the program is not on the first page I then just start typing the name. It generally pops up within a few keystrokes. I find this just as easy as scrolling through a menu.

If you get used to the Windows 10 start menu, then there is one less third-party program to install and worry about.

BTW, contrary to much advice here I do not recommend messing with update settings. The best defense against a problematic update is a regular regimen of image backups. There are many good programs available for little or no money. If you insist on changing update settings I recommend you defer for a week or two.

--Joe

• #1869819 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

I recommend you use Windows 10 as-is, out of the box, with two exceptions:

1. On the Start Menu, right-click on any item you don’t want on the menu, and tell it to un-pin it from the Start Menu. Same thing for the Task bar (at the bottom of the screen). Doing this does not actually delete anything; it simply removes the shortcuts that you don’t want from the Start Menu and from the Task bar. Along the left side of the Start Menu, you will find a complete list of icons, and you can add any of these to your Start Menu as desired, so there is no harm in un-pinning something from your Start Menu.

2. Go into Group Policy and make the following changes:

(All of these will be under Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates.)

Under Windows Components / Windows Update:
      * Turn off auto-restart for updates during active hours:
      — Enabled, set active hours to 4AM – 1AM, click Apply.
      (This doesn’t determine when updates happen, just when the computer can restart – outside of the active hours.)
      * Allow updates to be downloaded automatically over metered connections:
      — Disable, click Apply.
      * Configure automatic updates:
      — Enabled, set to 3, click Apply.
      (Setting it to 3 means that it will automatically check for, but won’t automatically install, updates.)
      * Do not include drivers with Windows Updates:
      — Enabled, click Apply.
      * Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation:
      — Disabled, click Apply.
      * Turn on Recommended updates via Automatic Updates:
      — Disabled, click Apply.
      (This ensures that only the “important” updates will be downloaded and installed.)

Under Windows Components / Windows Update / Windows Update for Business:
      * Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received
      — Enabled, Semi-Annual Channel, deferred 360 days, click Apply.
      * Select when Quality Updates are received
      — Enabled, deferred 30 days, click Apply.
      * Manage preview builds
      — Enabled, disable preview builds, click Apply.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Clarification of First Time Setup Recommendations for Win 10 Pro

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.