Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Clean Install – Which Updates from Catalogue, Which from WU?

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Windows 7 patches Clean Install – Which Updates from Catalogue, Which from WU?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BobT 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

BobT
      AskWoody Lounger

So I’ve finally got around to doing my clean install. I’m now patched up to where the Rollups / Patchocalypse started (excluding the dodgy telemetry updates and so on). I currently have all Windows & .Net “Rollups” hidden.

So, which updates do I take from here? Group B side.

• I know not to download any of the “Monthly Rollups” from WU, and that I need to get the Security Patches from the Catalogue instead.
      • What are the “Security Patches” called? The Catalogue search is really bad, and doesn’t even let me filter by OS version. It’s really hard to see what’s what with everything being named “Security Quality Monthly Feature blablabla”.
      • Should I ignore any of the “Security Only” patches in particular? As in are there any dodgy ones for certain months.
      • What about .Net, Do I update from the .Net rollups in WU, or do I get security only versions of these too? (if so, what are they called?), And if I took a Security Only route here, what am I missing out on?
      • What about the IE Cumulative Update, I presume take this from WU? As in there’s no better Catalogue only version of this.
      • Office & other stuff from WU also?
      • Anything else I missed out on?

I’m aware of this article detailing changes from January, and I’ll also be scrutinizing the patches themselves too to see what’s in them, what I want, what I’m missing etc.

When I’m finished, I’ll be listing the method I followed to prepare & patch my Clean Install, as well as the patches I installed in each batch. Using the Powershell script I found (detailed here), REALLY helped identify the dodgy pending updates at each stage.

• #150746 Reply

PKCano
      AskWoody MVP

The Rollups consist of three parts: non-security, security, and IE. They are “Security Monthly Quality ROLLUP

The Group B patches are the security component  and the IE components of the Rollup (no non-security component) They are “Security Only Quality UPDATE” and “Cumulative Update for IE11.” These are the same components that are in the Rollup, You can get them in the Knowledge Base AKB2000003 every month. You cannot get the IE11 CU from Win Update b/c only the Monthly Rollup is offered, not each component separately. If the Security only patch is “dodgy,” or the the IE11 CU is “dodgy,” then the ROLLUP will be also.

In the Win updates, there is NO picking individual patches. Each month’s Rollup and IE CU contains all the ones before – they are cumulative. The security-only patches are NOT cumulative. They each contain multiple updates. You can eschew one month’s security-only patch b/c you don’t like one for the components, but then you are missing all the other security fixes that are contained.

I think the Office patches are similarly cumulative.

Sometimes there are Security-only .NET patches as well as Rollups. But pretty much the same thing applies about skipping a month’s security-only .NET.

• #150759 Reply

BobT
        AskWoody Lounger

Yeah I get the differences between the rollups and standard patches now. This time around I’ll be avoiding the Windows monthly rollups completely.

The IE 11 CU is definitely offered to me under W7 though, maybe it’s because I hid the rollup? (I also hide the previews too of course). This is Pending on my new install:
        “Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3185319) MS16-104 Critical http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3185319

And alright then thanks for the terminology for the Security Only patches, I’ll get them from the catalogue or that article (forgot they were listed there, cheers). I understand with IE I only need the latest one, since by nature it’s cumulative. Same for the .Net stuff I suppose.

Hmm so I presume SOME months for .Net they release a “Security Only”, as they don’t have anything else to push out. What’s the general advice for the .Net ones, install the Rollups, or just the couple of Security Patches? I haven’t yet scrutinized them to see what’s included.

I REALLY hate how they just stick the word “Quality” everywhere and so on, makes it so harder to read. Easier if they just had “Security Only Patch” and “Features & Security Rollup” or something.

• #150760 Reply

PKCano
          AskWoody MVP

“Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3185319) MS16-104 Critical http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3185319”%5B/quote%5D

Look at the release date of that patch. You are not being offered the current IE11 CU.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  PKCano.
          • #150763 Reply

BobT
            AskWoody Lounger

Ah-ha that will be why. It did confuse me when I saw people talking about getting that from the Catalogue, and I saw that in WU.

But yeah that makes sense cause like I said I’ve patched UP to where all the rollup BS started, and JUST installed IE11, so that will be the first patch for it, before March 2017 where it got included into the monthly rollups.

Anyways I’ll get the Security Only patches for Windows & the IECU from the catalogue, and try to scrutinize each.

What to do about the .Net, WU for that yeah? I presume the catalogue will have the same. I presume it’s advised to install the rollups for the .Net ones, even for Group B? Or is it best to do JUST the Security ones for that.

(I know there’s telemetry and other BS in the Windows ones, but unsure if there’s anything dodgy in the .Net ones).

• #150764 Reply

PKCano
              AskWoody MVP

Read AKB2000003. Group B recommendation to .NET Rollup.

• #150765 Reply

BobT
              AskWoody Lounger

Ah-Ha:
              If you see any “Security and Quality Rollup for .Net Framework” boxes checked, leave them checked.”

Soz I missed that bit. Tired eyes at 2am.

Righty-o then. Windows Security Only patches (the months I want) from the Catalogue, along with the latest IECU, and the latest .Net rollup / Office stuff from WU. Sorted. Cheers!

I’ll give it a crack at the weekend.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  BobT.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Clean Install – Which Updates from Catalogue, Which from WU?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.