News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Clean Install Win10 – 2 Identical PC – When to image for 2nd PC Install?

Posted on Sproots Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Clean Install Win10 – 2 Identical PC – When to image for 2nd PC Install?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Sproots
      AskWoody Plus

Hello All,

About to build 2 identical systems for the Grand-kids Xmas.  The only difference is one has the X version of same AMD processor.

Going to use ISO (Should be 1809 or 1903 but will check before using) and two OEM Win10 Pro Licenses (Disk Purchase).  Local Win10 user logon  accounts only.

These are going to be locked down machines for 11 + 15 year olds with high PC IQ so they can’t dig into the internals.

Will be using Decrapifier, Start10 and other tools to limit desktops etc.

Both installs will be offline per guides here on Ask Woody.

Q. When I built a new system a few months back it seemed like Win10 now asks for License input very early in the install. Is there any way to postpone that further to get as far as possible into the install so I can make an image for the other PC to save some time?

Q. If that isn’t possible, is right before that the farthest place I can make an image for the second install?

Q.  I know there is a provision to change the License in the Win 10 Properties tab but not sure what that entails.  Can I do full install through parents Admin account and use that for copied image on 2nd PC and update License afterwards, since it won’t be activated online until after?

Q. Always have built parents Admin User account first on previous PC.  With all current exploits out there and recurring Win10 Update issues, should I instead start making installs with the Win10 Admin account instead and then only enabling the limited User accounts? I am going to be the IT for all my relatives for the foreseeable future, which is easier for me? I have always used a Admin-User account for access.  PCs will be local but I have the option of using EasyDesk if I really want to.

Thanks for any insights/answers.

• #2018397 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

last time I looked the license was required during a manual installation but can be automated for an image build – something you aren’t likely to have time or inclination to do. I’d build it up to the time you are ready to connect to the web, then image and drop the image on the other machine. Have a bootable Windows ready just in case.
      Change the license before going online.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Clean Install Win10 – 2 Identical PC – When to image for 2nd PC Install?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.