• CLICKBAIT

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month, 1 week ago by I’m not a Robot.
    Author
    Topic

On a daily basis, we have been receiving clickbait similar to the attached email. Yesterday we received a similar email about BESTBUY’S Geek Squad.

It is difficult to delete the emails from our Outlook 2016 inbox so we have to go to our email service provider’s website and mark the problem emails as spam.

I am at the point where if I can’t beat them than join them.

Some time ago I ran across a web site allowed the user to generate hundreds of useless emails from a fictitious user and direct them to a specific email address. I have forgotten the link to the site.

Does anyone have any other ideas how to stop similar emails.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

ome time ago I ran across a web site allowed the user to generate hundreds of useless emails from a fictitious user and direct them to a specific email address. I have forgotten the link to the site.

Example :
      https://www.guerrillamail.com/
      https://www.disposablemail.com/
      https://disposableemail.us/en
      https://www.emailondeck.com/
      https://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/5-best-free-disposable-email-accounts/

1 user thanked author for this post.

We already have close to 100 disposable email addresses.

What I was looking for was a spam email generator that we could use to respond to and overwhelm  the nuance sender.

Or other means to discourage them from “attacking” us.

Yeah, I’ve been getting the same sort of e-mails for quite a while now and it’s very annoying.

As you said, if go to my webmail portal, I can block/mark them as Spam but the problem is they never come from the same e-mail address nor contain the same subject!

What I was looking for was a spam email generator

http://www.digicrime.com/spam/

That is not really “clickbait,” which refers to the practice of using overly sensational or misleading language to persuade someone to click on a (generally harmless) link.

The email shown in the attachment is a phishing attempt. You’re supposed to think that something expensive has been charged to you and go give them the info that would allow them to actually charge you to show you didn’t order the thing.

You can’t really absolutely prevent spam… how to get close to that is one of the biggest questions on the internet now, and every solution has its downsides (false positives and negatives).

These spams (whether they are overt scams like phishing or not) are sent by bots, not people. They’re not going to see any email you send to the email address they are supposed to be coming from. There is a very good chance the unwanted messages didn’t actually come from that email address at all… spoofing the sender is quite simple and is commonly done with spam. There is also the possibility that scam emails are being sent by devices infected with malware, where the scam emails are sent without the consent or knowledge of the owners of the devices.

A legitimate business like Best Buy will have a means to unsubscribe from any bulk email promotion, but be sure that any “unsubscribe” links you follow actually lead to bestbuy.com and not some other site. It could be a fake Best Buy email designed to annoy you into unsubscribing at the link they provide… and they use that linked site to grab more info from you, at the very least that the email to which they sent the spam is real.

Unsubscribing is only advisable when the unwanted email is confirmed to be coming from a legitimate business. Following an unsubscribe link on an actual spam email merely confirms that the email has reached a “live” target, which is not a good thing. If you cannot confirm the email was sent by a legit business, don’t unsubscribe. Use some other means to automatically reject (delete) those emails as they come in.

It should not be overly difficult to delete spam email. If there is something about the setup you have that makes it that way, like a group policy setting, the answer would be to have someone that is able come up with a better solution, not to try to get revenge against the senders. It won’t work, and would quite possibly flag you, your domain name, or your ISP as a source of spam.

It sounds like the network admins are trying to address the problem by getting the users of that network to train the spam filter so that the errant messages can be automatically rejected. That is a reasonable solution, but if you find it to be a significant difficulty, perhaps there is a better way to do so that does not require so many steps. You would have to discuss that with someone in charge of the network.

Dell XPS 13/9310, i5-1135G7/16GB, Kubuntu 22.04, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
      XPG Xenia 15, i7-9750H/16GB & GTX1660ti, Kubuntu 22.04, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

2 users thanked author for this post.

I have outlook 365 it has a  button for report  spam or phishing.  I send them to one or the other

We already have close to 100 disposable email addresses. What I was looking for was a spam email generator that we could use to respond to and overwhelm the nuance sender.

I can understand your frustration but…

1. The ‘nuisance sender’ will almost certainly not ‘see’ your ‘revenge’ spam nor be overwhelmed.

2. If your ‘revenge’ spam IS noticed by the nuisance sender, are you prepared for any possible escalation – for example, to an incoming – possibly sustained – DDoS attack by the sender in revenge? Can your business afford to pay for mitigation services like CloudFlare?

3. It’s unlikely… but what if your ‘revenge’ spam triggers an automated response that resulted in the WAN IP address of your business being added to spam blocklists? Are you prepared for the amount of time and effort it takes to be removed from blocklists? In the meantime, what would be the effect on your business… and its reputation?

4. Have you checked the TOS of your ISP for any possible penalties for your business sending ‘revenge’ spam, e.g. suspension or cessation of service?

5 users thanked author for this post.

The critical step in directing “reverse spam” to a “nuisance sender” is to use a third-party (unrelated) service to generate the traffic.

Some time ago, I had the contact information for just such an organization – now forgotten.

They were capable of generating hundreds of garbage emails per day targeting a nuisance sender.  They simply signed the nuisance sender up to receive advertising from hundreds of vendors.

No risk to us of revenge spam, spam blocklists, or WAN IP address of our business being added to spam blocklists. Our email information was in no way related to the attack.

And, absolutely no risk of our email service provider penalizing us for sending ‘revenge’ spam, e.g., suspension or cessation of service, because none of the traffic targeting the nuisance sender moved over their network?

The impacts of the reverse spam, if any, was to flood nuisance sender’s inbox with advertising or to have their email service block future traffic or discontinue providing email service to the nuisance sender at all due to high traffic levels.

The benefit to us would be the satisfaction of knowing that we did not sit passively by while someone repeatedly made phishing attempts via our email.

We used a similar approach to stop robocalls and texts from an organization trying to sell us auto warrantee services.

We repeatedly reported their calls to the Federal Communication Commission.

The result of our work, and that of many others, was that on July 21, the FCC announced that telecom providers will now be required to block robocalls advertising extended vehicle warranties.

The FCC’s July 21, order targets at least 13 individuals and six companies – mostly based in Texas and California but also overseas.

Report the spam to the ISP or actual business because many of the owners may still care about their reputation, seek above board help for your battle.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    Reply To: CLICKBAIT

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: