News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Cloning a Mini-PCIe boot drive on my Acer PC.

Posted on kenhoran Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Cloning a Mini-PCIe boot drive on my Acer PC.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        kenhoran
        AskWoody Lounger

I’d would like to clone my PC’s SSD boot drive.

For one thing I’d like a little more space on my boot disk and two I’ve had my PC for several years and recently experienced some Mini-PCIe boot disk failures on some client’s PCs.

How can I do this without losing any data or a need to perform any extraordinary procedures?

Thanks in advance! Ken

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Create a full image backup (not clone) to external USB HDD and restore to the new drive.
        Use the free Macrium Reflect software.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

? says:

hi ken,

saw your dangling post so here’s what i do;

clonezilla or dd. i asked google and the usual suspects pop up (clone my PC SSD boot drive):

easeus, macrium reflect, acronis, there is also a howtogeek tutorial and several youtubes on the google.

also the search box here at woody’s will probably have loads of info on the subject…

mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

The Mini-PCIe part of it could be a problem though. True NVMe Mini-PCIe SSDs are quite uncommon so an appropriate replacement part might be hard to find – most of that form factor use mSATA signaling.

Also some motherboards are picky and only allow certain specific models of cards in Mini-PCIe. Don’t know why but seen various kinds of boot messages like “Unknown model of Mini-PCIe device detected. Mini-PCIe slot disabled”

There are adapter parts that can connect a m.2 NVMe SSD to Mini-PCIe, though. Might be easier to find those, but then you get to worry about physical dimensions… usually not much free space around the Mini-PCIe slots in laptops.

Of course this is much less of a problem if your drive is actually mSATA in Mini-PCIe form factor instead, or if your device can use that slot in mSATA mode.

Create a full image backup (not clone) to external USB HDD and restore to the new drive.

… or some other storage device. Various applications can be used, that’s the easy part… if possibly a bit time-consuming.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Cloning a Mini-PCIe boot drive on my Acer PC.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.