News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Closing Windows Pages Automatically

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Closing Windows Pages Automatically

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Author
        WSLBruceGray
        AskWoody Lounger

Howdy!

I don’t know how else to say this, or even if this is the right Forum, but when using my computer, sometimes the =machine= will automatically close every window file location I have open. This is getting to be quite a chore, as, when it does this, I have to go back to the places where I had my file page up and reopen them. Don’t ask me to reinstall Windows, we’ve already tried this (again!)…..

b
        AskWoody MVP

Windows doesn’t have pages.

Is this about File Explorer crashing, or some other program?

anonymous

Nope. Let’s assume I have smaller windows open for my left-hand external drive, another for my downloads page, and a third for my right-hand external drive. All three will suddenly close at the same time without warning.

b
        AskWoody MVP

Still sounds like File Explorer crashing to me. That is the program you’re using, right?

WSLBruceGray
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m not =exactly= sure, but all I can tell you is what happens on this end for seemingly no reasons.  Let’s assume I have smaller windows open for my left-hand external drive, another for my downloads page, and a third for my right-hand external drive. All three will suddenly close at the same time without warning. If it is File Explorer that is doing this, then how do I fix it =other= than reinstalling Windows =again=? The below is an example of me having my usual three windows open.

Attachments:
        krism
        AskWoody Plus

It is losing connection with those folders or drives – something is changing, like you adding or removing a drive. Windows Explorer simply refreshes itself and those are no longer there, where they were.

- ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, UEFI/GPT: (Win10 20H2 Pro x64), 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 500GB SSD. -

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Check Event Viewer for reports of Explorer crashing.
        To run EV, press Win R and type eventvwr

cheers, Paul

anonymous

Do have any connected USB drives that act like they are being unmounted by Windows? It is normal behavior for file explorer to close if an external drive is prepared for removal by its user.

Viewing 7 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Closing Windows Pages Automatically

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.