News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • CLX???? files in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 CLX???? files in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Author
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus
        W10 Pro 1809 (patched).   For the past several weeks I notice “strange” .tmp file in this location: C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp  For example, see below and attached:
        C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\clxD811.tmp 439 KB
        C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\clxD812.tmp 1,231 KB

I have tried to track them down using W10 Event Viewer, but so far no success.  Thanks for any pointers!

Attachments:
      • #2298676 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Don’t know, but curious too.
        0 – The file names appear to be hex digits.
        1 – What were you doing at the times listed for the files?
        2 – Pick a file, start with the small one: Open with Notepad. Any clues from the contents?

• #2298680 Reply
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

As far as I can determine, they are binary files. Using a 3rd party File Manager I peeked inside (switching between Ansi, Unicode, Hex, etc.) the clx*.tmp files (smallest and largest) and have found no strings whatsoever identifying the file origin or id. Normally I can nail down the origin, but not here. So, no clues.

What was I doing: I tried to check that too, but nothing repeatable.  Happened after wake up from sleep, searching the web, emails, and doing nothing.  I checked with Everything Search to see what other files had the same time stamp, but no clues.

One change (may not be relevant), I installed Firefox 68.11.0 ESR 64-bit early August, which approximately coincides with the start of these strange files.

• #2299220 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Duplicate post here.

Please do not cross post without letting everyone know you have done so – saves duplicated effort.

cheers, Paul

• #2299235 Reply
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

That’s called a Cross-Disciplinary Approach.  This is not cross posting, the idea is to duplicate efforts, but from different angels.  In my opinion, good research as long as you inform parties of the upshot .. is there is one.  Let’s leave it at that (I got your point) as it’s off topic.  Thanks.

I’m currently monitoring the Temp folder with Process Monitor, hoping to catch the creation of another elusive clx*.tmp file.  We’ll see what happens!

• #2300046 Reply
        CBA
        AskWoody Plus

Having used Process Monitor for days I finally tracked down what program generated the clx*.tmp files. It’s “ClipX”, a legacy clipboard program I run under compatibility mode. Not sure of the exact interaction, but having Bitmap Entries cached seems to cause the dump of the clx*.tmp files under some circumstances.

In hindsight it makes sense that “ClipX” generates clx*.tmp file. At any ratet, as long as I know what’s going on I can deal with it. Case closed.

Viewing 5 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: CLX???? files in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.