News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Coming soon to a Windows 10 near you

Home Forums AskWoody blog Coming soon to a Windows 10 near you

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

This is the time of the month that we normally see preview updates for Windows 10. Per the ITpro blog, included in the preview updates will be a new “
        [See the full post at: Coming soon to a Windows 10 near you]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

Found a hint:

Turn off the (Insider) News & Interests page

Hkeycurrent user\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Feeds\ShellFeedsTaskbarViewMode

Reg Dword

Value of 2

Let me get a reg key tested and see what it does.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

4 users thanked author for this post.
        Graham
        AskWoody Plus

More unwanted junk to turn off. Sigh.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          b
          AskWoody MVP

It’s quite good for customized weather, traffic and news.

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.985 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

anonymous

It doesn’t look all that personalized to me.  It asks you about your interests and location, not which sites you want to get your news/weather/etc. from. It looks like just a way to push people to use the services of Microsoft and their partners

That information would also be great for targeted ads, either on the wider Internet, or even in the little widget that displays. Microsoft puts ads in other things. And what are the chances that an Edge adblocker will get rid of those ads?

The fact it’s being rolled out on older versions of Windows definitely suggests that it’s not some new feature they made because they thought people would like it. You would put those features in a Feature Update as a way to encourage people to upgrade early, and to justify the Feature Update system.

anonymous

It uses your preferences from Microsoft News (formerly MSN News).

Graham
            AskWoody Plus

If I wanted that stuff personalised, I’d have already something to do it. Come to think of it, I already have: it’s called a bookmark in my web browser.

Microsoft would do far better to devote their resources to fixing problems than adding this kind of useless junk, and if they cannot resist theurge to waste their time doing it, it should be off by default. I guess that actually fixing problems requires some skill, while almost anybody can add this kind of useless stuff.

4 users thanked author for this post.
        cyberSAR
        AskWoody Plus

More unwanted junk to turn off. Sigh.

Or to find a way to rip out!

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

Can we first discuss what the function does? Before we all disable it? 😉
        Looks to me like a reworked Edge feature introduced in the past – that main screen “my channel”.
        From the official announcement – you can customze it through the same panel, seems to me. Why not, its a “pocket webbrowser hidden on the tray”. I can see the weather already in my Start menu, now on the tray. Maybe we wont need to look out of the window anymore in the future. Who knows.

This feature is new-era windows gadgets from Win 7? Not as good as the old one, but still something interesting.

mychannel

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by doriel.
        • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by doriel. Reason: additional info
        Attachments:
          anonymous

It doesn’t look to me like gadgets at all. Gadgets could be installed from anywhere. This looks like it’s just stuff Microsoft approves. For example, that top right part appears to be Microsoft News and their slogan, suggesting you don’t get any other news choice.

It looks more to me like Microsoft baking their services into the OS, similar to forcing Bing into search. And surely any customization will be collected data. And I would expect that, if it is essentially pocket web browser, it will contain ads. Heck, news sites will have news “articles” that are ads.

A little tray that lets me have a completely customizable page, choosing to display some live info (weather, mostly) on the taskbar would be cool. A way for Microsoft to prop up their services and push (more) ads to monetize Windows would not.

3 users thanked author for this post.
          KB6OJS
          AskWoody Plus

Agreed it’s probably connected to Edge.  For reasons known only to Microsoft (probably their Edge or Marketing teams), whenever I click on anything in that widget, I get an Edge window — regardless of the fact that my default browser is Chrome!  Infuriating.  Worse even, when I bring up a help item in Outlook it opens in… <gasp!>… Internet Exploder! 🙂

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Can we first discuss what the function does? Before we all disable it?

I don’t need Weather, Traffic, News…. on my task bar.
        I have the weather forecast on my watch, Traffic on my iPhone, news on the Internet…

7 users thanked author for this post.
          doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

I dont need it neither, I was just curious. I am interested in the engine that it runs on. Is it sandboxed Edge or what? I am thinking about using this new function as an attack vector. Widgets were disabled, because of security concerns (as stated above) and now they bring this, because users were asking for weather on the taskbar? When weather is already present in the Start menu?
          I will definatelly disable this function in order to protect my resources (RAM, CPU, security).

dph853
        AskWoody Plus

At least if you are not interested you can turn this new feature off and then back on later if you change your mind. I wonder if it will work with “edgeblock” running since it seems dependent on chromium Edge browser. Since the April updates are going to be working with Edge this month, I have to try and remember to turn edgeblock off before updating when Susan gives the all clear to do so. I don’t want to Scragg the update process by having this software running when windows update removes the old edge and installs the new one.

b
          AskWoody MVP

If “edgeblock” is Edge Blocker; the latest version blocks Edge updates as well as Edge use, which may not be the best long-term strategy.

PKCano
        Manager

Really! One more superfluous add-on to run in the background and eat more resources! Why should I have to keep looking for check boxes to turn things off, or running .reg files, to block things I didn’t ask for?

Why can’t Microsoft focus on creating a secure, functional Operating System instead of trying to be everything to everybody and failing miserably at the task.
        The result of the effort is bloated software, with not only flaws in the necessary Operating System, but many unnecessary and often inferior dangling “Features.”

In the Settings App\Apps there is a section for “optional Features.” Let those that want some of the features, opt-in for those features, instead of everyone having to op-out of, then stand on their heads to remove, any bloatware they didn’t ask for. Windows has become a resource gobbling monster, with ever-escalating hardware demands to run an ever-increasing number of background processes.

And who is/are the victim(s)?
        + The average User who doesn’t have the knowledge or the skill to prevent the exploitation (including those who have been sold Win10 installed on inadequate hardware).
        + The techie User who just wants an Operating System to run the necessary programs and who has to spend invaluable time trying to remove the bloat (only to have it reinstalled with the next too-frequent upgrade).
        + Corporate IT people who have to keep fighting the way-too-frequent, inadequately tested updates/upgrades that bring failures to the operation of necessary software and hardware.
        + Everyone trapped in this Merry-Go-Round.
        [ /rant ]

Cee Arr
          AskWoody Plus

PKCano you have taken the words out of my mouth. Add the useless, prove nothing polls, inane  non-educational quizzes to this rant list. I paid and joined Ask Woody to learn things that are useful and that don’t waste time and resources.  At my age time is precious.

doriel
          AskWoody Lounger

@PKCano
          wrote:
          In the Settings App\Apps there is a section for “optional Features.” Let those that want some of the features, opt-in for those features, instead of everyone having to op-out of, then stand on their heads to remove, any bloatware they didn’t ask for. Windows has become a resource gobbling monster, with ever-escalating hardware demands to run an ever-increasing number of background processes.

Now thats the solution! I like it very very very much. I nearly clapped my hands while reading your post. Thanks for the “island of normality” in this neverending ocean of updating madness.

The Surfing Pensioner
          AskWoody Plus

Exactly! I’m sick of getting bloatware dumped on my PC without my permission. After I upgraded to version 2004, I had to go through my installed programs to identify  and remove Farm Story. I ask you! If I want the weather or the news, I will look for it – via my browser. MS’ priorities are clearly not mine and I’m tired of having to second-guess Redmond in order to protect my computer.

2 users thanked author for this post.
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

TSP: Maybe you should consider getting help from someone who knows how to do it, and get Linux installed in you PC in dual bootstrap with Windows, so you can ease yourself into using Linux and see how this is really like. For the general user that works using the Desktop and the application windows by pointing clicking and scrolling around in there, should not be less intuitive than Windows, but keeping the thing in  working order and up to date, should be considerably less of an aggravation over any period of time, from one day to one year and beyond. Plus Linux itself and a number of useful applications for it are for free, with no strings attached.

I  understand that you work with a group or organization that is sticking with Windows, but with help from someone knowledgeable who is prepared to offer it, you and your coworkers could become progressively more and more familiarized with Linux without jumping into it all at once with both feet first, and probably find out that they would be better off keeping Windows for such things as Office — that for certain kinds of work may not have a really good equivalent in Linux right now — and some Windows applications you need for you daily work and cannot do without, and use Linux for pretty much everything else, from emailing and sharing files of various kinds to browsing news sites, weather sites of your choice for the current forecasts, online-shopping, banking, etc. And with time maybe you’ll find good replacements for these things for which, right now, you cannot find a Linux substitute. Then you might forget that MS even exists, as far as your relationship with computers go.

As to help with the unexpected problems one might encounter, there are several places, including this one, where one may either find, already in black on white the information needed to solve them, or otherwise people that are knowledgeable and ready to assist with those problems, same as for Windows.

I am not going to argue that it will be all as sweet and easy as laying down in a field of poppies in full colorful bloom, same as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, because few things in this life are like that, and those that are most likely are not good for you. But it will not be torture either.

And fervently asking and praying that MS changes its ways any time soon while expecting a change for the better from its part, I am somewhat inclined to suspect that this might not be the most productive way to pass the time.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS Mojave + Linux (Mint)

The Surfing Pensioner
              AskWoody Plus

Many thanks for your kind thoughts and helpful suggestions, Oscar, which I may run past our trustees. I’ve never been very drawn to the complexity of a dual boot, but I do wish I could install Linux on my chromebook. Now that would be fun!

OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

TSP: “I’ve never been very drawn to the complexity of a dual boot

Neither have I, as far as setting up the machine in dual-boot, so I got an experienced friend who actually is the system administrator of a network with a bunch of PCs, Macs and Linux machines to do it for me. Once that is done, learning to work day in, day out in dual-boot turns out to be quite easy. You might be more likely than me to find help like that, because Linux is used more in the UK and Europe than here, so there has to be more of those people around to be found. Good luck.

Ascaris
                AskWoody MVP

Setting it up is just as easy. There’s nothing all that complex about it!

You need to create at least one new partition for Linux to live within. You can repurpose an old one or shrink the existing ones to make room for a new one, but there are plenty of tools to automate that (including the Linux installer itself, but there are plenty of Windows-native tools that can do it as well). Once you have that new partition, the rest is simple, and the Linux installer will do it all. And as always, have a backup when doing anything like this, just in case it goes wrong.

Group "L" (KDE Neon Linux 5.21.5 User Edition)

OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

I still rather had it done by someone who knows more about this than myself (which is negligible) and can react to unexpected problems calmly and, probably. also effectively. If everything went always as expected, life would be safer, perhaps (except for what is expected to happen, inevitably, to all of us, but we “do not know the day or the hour” when that shall come to pass), and also, probably, very boring.

Mele20
        AskWoody Lounger

I was quite relieved when I saw this in the Microsoft article:

“Of course, if you are not interested in any of this information you can simply turn off the icon.”

I guess Microsoft still sees browser tabs as the enemy. Basilisk is my default browser and I also use Fx60.9 ESR. I have tabs for weather, Hawaii News Now, etc. pinned at the very top of my vertical tab bar down the left side of the screen. The tab session is automatically saved and when I start the browser then I can choose which tab session to load (or start a brand new session).

I have no need of “feeds” or any of the ridiculous stuff mentioned by Microsoft for the task bar. Quick Launch on the Windows 10 task bar is useful yet Microsoft doesn’t make it easy to have it on Windows 8 or 10. Instead, they think I want feeds that will just be extremely irritating. Thank goodness, I can turn them off! For now, that is.

Ascaris
        AskWoody MVP

From the blog post:

“For the record I have a person in the office that I STILL find the Vista era gadgets and install them on his Windows 10 because he prefers the date and clock in his sidebar. Which if you remember they got rid of because they found that attackers could sneak things in there and they were vulnerable.”

A gadget is an executable file, so if it is from an untrusted source, it could be, or contain, malware. Same is true of an .exe file, but MS hasn’t removed the ability to run .exe files just because if you got one from a bad source, it could have malware in it! A gadget is no more dangerous than any other executable, whether it be .bat, .pif, .com, .scr, or .exe. No less dangerous, either, so it pays to pay attention.

More info is available from Microsoft.

Cybertooth
          AskWoody Plus

Shortly after MS issued the death sentence for Gadgets in Windows 7, they launched Windows 8 with its new interface featuring “tiles” that served much the same functions as Gadgets.

I have always suspected that the real reason for killing off Gadgets was to make the Windows 7 desktop look plainer and more static in comparison to Windows 8 with its lively, continuously updating tiles.

b
          AskWoody MVP

A gadget is an executable file, so if it is from an untrusted source, it could be, or contain, malware. Same is true of an .exe file, but MS hasn’t removed the ability to run .exe files just because if you got one from a bad source, it could have malware in it! A gadget is no more dangerous than any other executable, whether it be .bat, .pif, .com, .scr, or .exe. No less dangerous, either, so it pays to pay attention.

Yes, but:

Do many users allow executables from little-known sources to run full-time 24 x 7?

And with the rights of the logged-on user but without a UAC prompt as a warning?

The same would apply to a third-party start menu replacement, but don’t we tend to know those companies better than the provider of a desktop clock or CPU meter?

Ascaris
            AskWoody MVP

Yes, but: Do many users allow executables from little-known sources to run full-time 24 x 7?

Once it’s past the gate, it’s in, and it will run 24/7 if it wants to. It does not matter if the person thinks it will run all the time or if they never intend to run it again… if it is malware, you lost the battle the moment you ran the thing, and it will run in the background quietly if that is what it was programmed to do.

And with the rights of the logged-on user but without a UAC prompt as a warning?

Anything the user runs on his computer would be the same. Once the logged-in user has run the installer for the program, or the executable for a portable application (and given it the okay to run as an unknown program, if necessary),  it’s in, with that user’s credentials at best, and admin privs if the installer itself is compromised and triggers UAC to install in \Program Files.

The same would apply to a third-party start menu replacement, but don’t we tend to know those companies better than the provider of a desktop clock or CPU meter?

The same would apply to any program the user runs, whether it is a start menu replacement or anything else. If it’s malware, it’s going to do what it wants to, not what you thought you were signing up for when you double-clicked the install icon.

DaveA
        AskWoody_MVP

I and the wife both like the Vista era gadgets.
        We have the Clock, Weather, and the Calendar running on all of our Windows 10 machines.

DaveA I am so far behind, I think I am First
        Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

April 22, 2021—KB5001396 (OS Build 18363.1533) Preview

In addition to news and interests there are other fixes.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

ou can turn it off via a right-click on the new icon:

This should be opt-in not opt-out.

b
          AskWoody MVP

Then most people wouldn’t know it was available.

anonymous

No I have not even Installed the March 2021 Patches on my Windows 10(1909 Home)/Mint 20.1 dual boot laptop and 1909 bows out in May 2021 and I’m holding off any more Windows 10 updates and keeping what’s installed there offline! I’ve just had enough of that feature creep at the expense of stability!  And my Mini Desktop PC that I’m using more anyways to keep that 10/Mint Laptop wear and tear to a minimum came with no OS installed as a Bare bones system and I purchased the Processor(Ryzen 3400G) and installed that myself on the system’s provided motherboard and provided Case and Provided CPU cooler. So that System’s running Mint 20.1 only and I’ll wait for another year to pass to see how Windows 10 has developed before I’ll look again!   The Windows 10/Linux Mint Laptop will be treated like my older 7(EOL)/Mint 20.0 laptops and really I’ve just had enough of the Windows 10 update issues and feature creep.

KB6OJS
        AskWoody Plus

If your co-worker wants to have the date show without having to run any risky widgets, try this:

Right-click on the taskbar and unlock it. Then resize it to double height. The date will appear over where the clock is.

This assumes that you have sufficient screen size to allow having a double-height taskbar, but most people do nowadays.

Enjoy!

//Steve//

Viewing 14 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Coming soon to a Windows 10 near you

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.