News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Coming to a PC near you: Win10 2004, the ‘May 2020 Update’

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Coming to a PC near you: Win10 2004, the ‘May 2020 Update’

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Author
        Tracey Capen
        AskWoody MVP

WOODY’S WINDOWS WATCH By Woody Leonhard Two weeks ago, Microsoft started rolling out the latest Windows 10 feature update — to little enthusiasm
        [See the full post at: Coming to a PC near you: Win10 2004, the ‘May 2020 Update’]

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2270322 Reply
        WSDKS01
        AskWoody Plus

Yes, I saw the “It’s ready but not for you” notice on one of the critical computers in this house (there are four in total) for the May 2020 Update. But having one computer on the Windows Insider Fast Ring and having no problems with Build 2004 19640.1 (most recent build released last week) and having little else to do this past weekend, I downloaded the May 2020 Update using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and installed it on two non-critical computers. The result?  Very little drama. The sky did not fall. Yes, some display settings were reset to default, but ten minutes later all my preferences were in place. Yawn. Now back to my Zoom meeting life this week. BTW, Zoom did another update over the weekend. No problems there, either.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2270339 Reply
        bmeacham
        AskWoody Plus

I have upgraded to Win10 2004 on my very recent Dell Latitude 7390 with no issues.  I have also upgraded an older XPS 13 9343 with no issues. As Woody says, there’s not much here. My machines act just like they did before.

• #2270343 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

Always good to hear from the front lines. 🙂

• #2270351 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

The update on my DIY NAS completed yesterday without hiccups.  StartIsBack++ didn’t get kicked out with this one.  That leaves only the B side of my Dell Latitude E5420 to update, and I’ll have all five.  All uneventful, with the exception that 2004 is noticeably and measurably quicker than 1909.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
        "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
        "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by bbearren. Reason: added link
      • #2270359 Reply
        GHSteve
        AskWoody Plus

FWIW,  the ‘Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 2004’ installed itself on my old Dell E-6420 Laptop, automatically, on 6/4/20, with no interaction from me (except a restart) and with no prior alert messages.  The only problem I have noticed so far is that the touchpad is flakey and Dell has no updated Win 10 drivers for this old machine.

PS:  I thought I had automatic updates paused on all my computers but obviously missed the 6420.

• #2270374 Reply
          woody
          Da Boss

Any chance you clicked “Check for updates”?

Did you have updates paused?

Strange things are happening here….

• #2270389 Reply
            GHSteve
            AskWoody Plus

No Sir.  I definitely did not click ‘check for updates’.  And, as I noted, I thought I had automatic updates paused on all my computers, but I obviously didn’t have it paused on the E6420 or the pause had expired.

The first indication I had of the update being installed was the notification that pops up in the lower right corner of the screen saying something like ‘ we will restart your computer outside of working hours ‘ and giving an option to ‘ restart now ‘.

• #2270369 Reply
        b
        AskWoody Plus

WOODY’S WINDOWS WATCH By Woody Leonhard

The 2004 carrot

Notepad becomes a Store app, too

Notepad is not a Store app in version 2004.

That requires Insider Preview build 19541 or later in the Fast Ring:

Get Windows Notepad – Microsoft Store (System Requirements)

• #2270381 Reply
        John
        AskWoody Lounger

Most PC makers provide lists of models tested with each version of Windows. You can typically go to the PC makers Windows support and find this compatibility list. I actually go by this list more than anything else given that the PC maker can verify more specifically about certain hardware and configurations. If you model is certified for that Windows release you can at least expect the hardware and drivers will most likely work.

• #2270512 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Most PC makers provide lists of models tested with each version of Windows. You can typically go to the PC makers Windows support and find this compatibility list. I actually go by this list more than anything else given that the PC maker can verify more specifically about certain hardware and configurations. If you model is certified for that Windows release you can at least expect the hardware and drivers will most likely work.

2004 compatible Lenovo PCs

My Legion Y530-15ICH is on the list as compatible but Microsoft says no.
        The reason for that maybe that I don’t use Lenovo’s drivers but use hardware manufactures drivers.

• #2270595 Reply
        AlexEiffel
        AskWoody_MVP

People like me who use windows search all day for local files for work and don’t want to be bothered with irrelevant web content might want to check the following:

https://winaero.com/blog/disable-web-search-in-taskbar-in-windows-10-version-2004/

I can’t believe how Microsoft still don’t care about the needs of their customers who look for ways to disable these annoying web searches and add insult to injury by removing every trick they find to do it. Why can’t you push your annoyances but at least leave the switch there? Telemetry told you too much people used the switch and that prevents you from reaching your marketing goals? And if someone use group policy, it is probably because they really want to get rid of this “feature”, don’t you think? And what about my privacy with these forced web searches when all I want is to search local?

Talk about customer service for the most plus best Windows that is supposed to be the one that people love the most plus best. I guess we are in a love hate relationship.

• #2270603 Reply
        anonymous

If the update fails and rolls back and you have Kaspersky AV disable the AV and you may find that the update is then successful.  Happened on two PCs in our household when we tried to update (done concurrently & we forgot to proactively disable the AV).  This may be something that happens with other AV products but it is just good practice we find to disable or remove the after market AV before updating.

• #2270621 Reply
        WSrernst
        AskWoody Lounger

So you’re saying Notepad is _removed_ and a store app installed with the update?  That mean we can UNINSTALL it?  Not likely…  🙂  That sucks, time to start using one of the many, freebie, superior freebies.  It was just so convenient to check or create simple text files on just about any machine.

Another stick for the update is the removal of the delay options for updates that the Pro version offered in the past.  With Microsoft’s reputation for rolling out very buggy updates, including blue screens that were UNRECOVERABLE at all, I hardly think this is a good idea.  Better would be to allow the delays in all versions, Home, Pro, whatever.

• #2270644 Reply
          GHSteve
          AskWoody Plus

I’m not the brightest bulb on the IT tree, but I don’t understand this post.  My Dell Laptop updated to Win 10 Pro, Version 2004, Build 19041.264, and it still has Notepad and the option to pause Windows Updates.  Going strictly from my memory (which isn’t infallable), I think the pause option has been improved to permit user to select specific dates for resumption.  I THINK it only offered 7-day increments before.

• #2270746 Reply
          WSDKS01
          AskWoody Plus

WOODY’S WINDOWS WATCH By Woody Leonhard

The 2004 carrot

Notepad becomes a Store app, too

Notepad is not a Store app in version 2004.

That requires Insider Preview build 19541 or later in the Fast Ring:

Get Windows Notepad – Microsoft Store (System Requirements)

With all respect, Notepad is still installed but it can be removed from the Start menu (Windows accessories) in 2004. What you replace it with is up to you. And yes, Windows Notepad is available for free in the Microsoft Store in 2004.

• #2270783 Reply
            anonymous

WSDKS01 wrote:
            With all respect, Notepad is still installed

And hopefully that will continue in all future versions of the “last version” of Windows. I just can’t imagine any serious computer operating system not providing a basic text editor in the base install.

• #2270796 Reply
            bbearren
            AskWoody MVP

And yes, Windows Notepad is available for free in the Microsoft Store in 2004.

But it won’t run on 2004 yet, only the newer release available via Windows Insider.

Notepad

So yes, it’s available in the store, but no, it’s not available for the Windows update 2004 update.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes/Windows updates, in case you need to start over!
            "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns
            "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware

Attachments:
            b
      • #2270830 Reply
        crudolphy
        AskWoody Plus

I updated my Surface Pro 4 with the new Win 10 2004. I now read that Surface devices have issues with 2004 and I am one who is affected. Unfortunately, I have no backup or recovery drive because I deleted them after the update. I also cannot roll back to the prior version. Is there any place online that I can obtain a download of version 1909. I am unable to find one online. Thanks for any help you can offer.

• #2270833 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Download the Windows ISO download tool from Heidoc.net. Run the tool on your computer and download the latest v1909 ISO.

• #2270854 Reply
            anonymous

Thank you. The link was good and I was able to download a prior version. Thanks again.

• #2270851 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

2004 compatible Lenovo PCs

My Legion Y530-15ICH is on the list as compatible but Microsoft says no.
        The reason for that maybe that I don’t use Lenovo’s drivers but use hardware manufactures drivers.

Dell computers tested for Windows 10 May 2020 Update and previous versions of Windows 10

• #2271124 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

‘Current status as of June 9, 2020

Windows 10, version 2004 is available for users with devices running Windows 10, versions 1903 and 1909 who manually seek to “Check for updates” via Windows Update. We are continuing our measured approach on initial availability, as we listen, learn, and adjust. Today we are increasing the number of devices that will be offered the May Update. The recommended servicing status is Semi-Annual Channel.”

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

• #2271229 Reply
        bbearren
        AskWoody MVP

On a note of personal preference, updating to Version 2004 brought back those aggravating Libraries/Special Folders, and I have gone through all five installations, opening regedit running as trusted installer, and imported my .reg file that strips them back out.

That, and Version 2004 is noticeably and measurably quicker than Version 1909.  All five are stable, reliable and performing well.

• #2273145 Reply
        EP
        AskWoody_MVP

I got this message on my very old HP pavilion desktop PC about the 2004 feature update “not ready” running Win10 v1909 enterprise edition.

win10-2004featureupdate-notready-forthispc

-mostly because of a very old onboard nvidia graphics hardware using nvidia geforce driver 309.08 (v9.18.13.908) and can’t install a higher version because newer geforce driver versions no longer support the hardware.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by EP.
        • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by EP.
        Attachments:
      • #2273149 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
        • #2273204 Reply
          Elly
          AskWoody MVP

There is currently no workaround for this issue.

You can make your data read only, using powershell (see link)… ‘to prevent issues’…

Your device using storage spaces will show as RAW, but any partition that isn’t RAW will be usable (just not the one you were currently storing your data on… which will show as RAW).

This is why you have three copies of any data…’cause Microsoft just borked one copy for you.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

• #2273150 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus
    Viewing 17 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Coming to a PC near you: Win10 2004, the ‘May 2020 Update’

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.