Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Comments on AKB 2000003: Ongoing list of "Group B" monthly updates for Win7 and 8.1

Home Forums Knowledge Base Comments on AKB 2000003: Ongoing list of "Group B" monthly updates for Win7 and 8.1

This topic contains 76 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  PKCano 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

Kirsty
      AskWoody MVP

Due to the size of the first topic of this name, it has been closed – it was too big to load easily.

Please feel free to ask questions about AKB2000003 here

The old comments can be found here:
      Part One – Mar/17-May/17
      Part Two – Jun/17 to Feb/18

3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #170748 Reply

SueW
      AskWoody Lounger

Kirsty, I wondered why I couldn’t access the original page . . . I kept getting 504 Timeouts last week.  I had wanted to read any comments that might have pertained to January’s updates prior to installing them.

Is it possible to select and copy the comments on January’s updates (if any) from that page and then paste them here in order to make sure nothing fell through the cracks?  That is, none of us in Group B missed reading something really important or helpful?

Many thanks!

Win 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit; Office 2010; Group B; Former 'Tech Weenie'

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #170794 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

@suew there have been 504s on pages with barely any posts in recent days/weeks, so that may not have been the only issue. While the topic is now closed for new postings, it can still be read (if you can get past the 504s).

If the problem persists, we might have to split the closed topic in two, but I might keep an eye on that, balanced with the other problems 😉

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #170897 Reply

SueW
          AskWoody Lounger

… it can still be read (if you can get past the 504s)

Hmmm — I gave up after at least a dozen attempts!

Thank you, @Kirsty, for your explanation (and your always helpful comments).  Indeed, it is a balancing act :).

• #172436 Reply

Kirsty
            AskWoody MVP

The closed comments topic has now been split in two, which may or may not make it easier to access the old comments.

• #172477 Reply

SueW
              AskWoody Lounger

YaY!!  Thank you, Kirsty!!  Each link definitely makes it easier to access the old comments 🙂

• #170771 Reply

SkipH
      AskWoody Lounger

If this ‘forum’ software had a way to limit the posts-per-page (other than turning off the ‘nested’ display method), then it wouldn’t take so looooog and be so sloooow to load up a page of many posts.

Topics on the main home page seem to be limited to a certain number (8 or 10?). If the number of posts/replies on a sub-topic page were limited to 30-40, then topics with lots of posts would not take so long to load (ludicrous speed or not).

• #170795 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

Ok @skiph, off-topic here, but to reply: no, that’s not an option (refer recent topics on nesting/threading/paging, and the various issues that caused) 🙂

• #170930 Reply

SkipH
          AskWoody Lounger

Yes, I know that. My main point was…why is not there a ‘feature’ of this software to limit a ‘page’ of posts to some finite number, preferably user selectable…as there is on number of other forums I frequent, ranging from bicycling to R/C quad copters.

And BTW…I assume the “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” still isn’t working? I’ve checked that option on at least 2 recent topics, and never received any emails (and, no they haven’t been going into a spam folder).

• #170943 Reply

woody
            Da Boss

We have three options:

> Let everybody post

> Break posts into pages – but you really need to have linear (not indented) posts to make that work

> Seal the topic off of further comments.

I thought we’d get better speeds by turning the replies linear, and breaking the pages up into 10 or 20 posts. But it didn’t work out that way.

If this ‘forum’ software had a way to limit the posts-per-page (other than turning off the ‘nested’ display method), then it wouldn’t take so looooog and be so sloooow to load up a page of many posts.

And that’s at the crux of the problem. If you have nested replies, how would the software break them into pages? I struggled with that for a while, and finally gave up.

• #170944 Reply

woody
            Da Boss

Oh. And “Notify me of follow-ups by email” is part of an add-on that will get upgraded before too long. In the interim, though, it doesn’t work – as you note.

• #170947 Reply

Kirsty
              AskWoody MVP

It does work, intermittently. Some people get no emails at all, but I get several each day (and cannot guarantee that is all that I should be getting, though).

It may have something to do with the email address, as @sparky noticed a few months ago.

• #170953 Reply

HiFlyer
              AskWoody Lounger

Oh. And “Notify me of follow-ups by email” is part of an add-on that will get upgraded before too long. In the interim, though, it doesn’t work – as you note.

Does it help to “subscribe” to the topic?  btw:  I got six emails today.

• #171748 Reply

anonymous

Is this KB4077561 only for 8.1 or for all OS? It looked like an 8.1 patch. If so, shouldn’t 8.1 be put with its name for reference?

Jan 2018 KB 4077561 (release 1/24 for PIC/APIC stop errors) – Download 32-bit or 64-bit

• #171758 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

If you will notice, it IS under the heading For Windows 8.1 and NOT listed under the heading For Windows 7.

• #172948 Reply

anonymous

If one skips IE patches for a month or two, it is only necessary to install the latest one rather than each missed month correct?

• #172953 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

The IE patches are cumulative, so you only need the latest one.

• #175844 Reply

Skunk1966
      AskWoody Lounger

I found this article about problems with this month’s updates:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/14/microsoft_secures_the_servers_of_the_world/

Until further notice I won’t install this month’s(security-only) updates for Windows 7 SP1

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Skunk1966.
    • #176090 Reply

Skunk1966
      AskWoody Lounger
    • #184423 Reply

z.d.
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello all, can I ask for some advice please?

I’m a Group B Windows 7 user . In late March, I was waiting patiently until MS-Defcon 3 arrived to install the March updates, and took the advice of Patch Lady’s post of 31st March to install KB4100480, the “Total Meltdown” patch.

I’m now ready to install the March update, but have I done this out of sequence, i.e. by installing the March updates now will I be undoing the remedial work of KB4100480?

Also, weirdly, Windows Update no longer offers me the March update. Obviously I’ll be downloading the March update manually, and I’m not sure if this is relevant, but I thought I’d mention it just in case.

• #184430 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

I’m now ready to install the March update, but have I done this out of sequence, i.e. by installing the March updates now will I be undoing the remedial work of KB4100480?

No, the March patches do not cause a problem for KB4100480.

• #185017 Reply

StruldBrug
        AskWoody Lounger

Also, weirdly, Windows Update no longer offers me the March update.

As a Group B’er, you want “Security Only” updates, which Windows Update doesn’t give you. It gives you “Security Monthly Quality Rollups”, which you do not want, nor any previews. Use this the list, which PKCano updates monthly to get the Catalog download links for both “Security Only” and IE cumulative.

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000003-ongoing-list-of-group-b-monthly-updates-for-win7-and-8-1/

• #185150 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello everyone,

Following are my notes about the Group B updates.

GROUP B SECURITY ONLY UPDATE INSTALLATION NOTES

NOTES ABOUT THE 2017 UPDATES…

The January 2017 update KB3212642 will not show up as installed after the March 2017 update is installed, because KB3212642 was superseded by the March 2017 update. This supersedence is not documented by Microsoft.

There was no February 2017 update.

The Security Only updates should be installed sequentially and in the order of their release dates, except for two notable exceptions which are described below.

1. Install the June 2017 update first, before installing the May 2017 and April 2017 updates (in this order), in order to prevent Windows Update from subsequently being blocked on some older CPUs. This was Microsoft’s way of saying “thanks” to users who installed Windows 7 on newer generation hardware such as on computers with AMD Ryzen CPUs, yet at the same time Microsoft inadvertently killed Windows Update for some older CPUs such as Haswell Core I5 CPUs and other CPUs.

2. Install the September 2017 update before installing the August 2017 update since the September 2017 update includes newer updates for kernel mode drivers and the Windows kernel. The kernal mode drivers in the August 2017 update have issues. This is why you should install the September 2017 update before installing the August 2017 update.

The October 2017 update may cause Jet DB issues with much older applications. A fix is available at:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=True

The November 2017 update may break printing for some Epson dot matrix and POS printers. Update KB4055038 is available to fix this issue.

NOTES ABOUT THE 2018 UPDATES…

The 2018 updates for Meltdown and Spectre COMPLETELY FAIL to protect against the BranchScope security vulnerability which was publicly disclosed in late March 2018. BranchScope is a new variant of the Spectre (CPU speculative execution) class of vulnerabilities which were publicly disclosed in January 2018. BranchScope theoretically can be mitigated, yet doing so is far from easy.

The QualityCompat regkey must be set before installing any 2018 updates. This regkey should be set ONLY IF ALL INSTALLED ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE has been updated to be compatible with all 2018 updates, regardless of whether or not the antivirus software automatically runs when booting Windows or later is manually run, because most antivirus software installs low level I/O drivers which are loaded when Windows starts, regardless of whether or not the antivirus software itself actually runs when Windows starts.

The upshot of the above paragraph is: Make sure that ALL installed antivirus programs have been updated to be compatible with the QualityCompat regkey BEFORE you install any of the 2018 updates.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat]
      “cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc”=dword:00000000

The 2018-03-29 KB4100480 Windows kernel update must be installed immediately after installing any of the 2018 updates in order to address a kernel escalation of privilege vunerability. This update may be installed after installing the 2018 updates and rebooting.

The January through March 2018 updates are inherently flawed by Microsoft. These flawed Meltdown updates expose ALL kernel and program memory to ANY program. This new expoit is called Total Meltdown. Microsoft themselves created this Total Meltdown flaw. NO MALWARE TECHNIQUES WHATSOEVER ARE REQUIRED IN ORDER TO EXPLOIT THIS FLAW.

The March and April 2018 security only updates KB4088878 and KB4093108 still have issues (SMB server memory leaks and stop errors). KB4100480 Windows kernel update for Total Meltdown must be installed immediately after installing the March update. KB4099467 must be installed immediately after installing the March update to resolve stop error (ab) when exiting a Windows session.

The April 2018 security only update will be presented and will install REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT the QualityCompat regkey is present and set within your Windows 7 computer’s registry. Why? Because Microsoft is trying to cover their collective rear ends in order to resolve the Total Meltdown vulnerability which Microsoft themselves created. The upshot is that, after installing this update and if your antivirus software is not compatible with the QualityCompat regkey, then your computer may BSOD on reboot. Microsoft kindly leaves it up to you in order to figure out how to resolve this issue.

Best regards,

–GTP

• #185166 Reply

anonymous

Is it correct that KB4100480, KB4099467 and KB4099950 are now included in the April KB4093108 update?

• #185171 Reply

GoneToPlaid
      AskWoody Lounger

Is it correct that KB4100480, KB4099467 and KB4099950 are now included in the April KB4093108 update?

That is a good question. The article for KB4093108 states that KB4093108 supersedes KB4100480, yet makes no mention about KB4099467 and KB4099950. Additionally, the Microsoft Update Catalog Package Details for KB4093108 do not list KB4093108 as superseding ANY updates whatsoever. Now, isn’t this a riot of fun to try to figure out?

Yet at the end of the day, KB4099467 and KB4099950 still appear to remain stand-alone updates which are not part of KB4093108.

Nothing verified, yet this is all that I have to say at the present time.

• #185314 Reply

anonymous

What will Group B folks be missing by never doing 4088878 on Windows 7 x64 machines that are up to date from February?  Are there stable updates from within 4088878 that can be done separately from the catalog?

I’m wondering if March updates will eventually have to be installed or if “just” April 4093108 will be the way to go due to it containing fixes for things like 4100480 & possibly 4099467.

Having only installed March MSRT last DEFCON 3, it’s a bit worrisome that the others might still need doing, so I’m hoping some can be avoided.  Perhaps I’m fooling myself.  Please advise, thanks.

• #185318 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

Group B folks who do not install March update KB4088878 will be missing all the fixes contained in the patch. Security-only patches are NOT cumulative. If you do not install one, you never get the fixes contained in it.
        April security-only update KB4093108 takes the place of KB4100480 and KB4099467. But it does not contain the fix for NIC/IP address problems. You will need to download KB4099950 and install it manually BEFORE you install the March and April Security Only UPdates. (And, yes, you need both).

As Group B you will also need to download and manually install the IE11 Cumulative Update every month.

My suggestion is you manually install KB4099950, reboot, check to see if C:\Windows\LOGS\PCIClearStaleCache.txt file is present. If it is….
        Install 4088878 KB4093108 KB4092946 (in that order, not necessary to reboot in between), reboot.
        Wait for DEFCON 3 or above to follow Woody’s patching.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #185323 Reply

anonymous

thank you for the response.  Helps to unmuddy the water a bit.

• #185372 Reply

LeaningTowardsLinux
      AskWoody Lounger

Like the man said: Helps to unmuddy the water a bit. I would even say ‘a lot’.

Held off any updates (or uninstalls) for more than a month. Just couldn’t keep up with all the patches and repatches, but now I was ready to give it a try – thanks to @mrbrian‘s sum up.

Had IE 4092946 and 4100480 already installed, and that turned out to be no issue when I just installed 4099950 > reboot > 4088878 > 4093108 > reboot.
      Everything’s working fine – for now.

Thank you again & always @woody @sb @mrbrian @pkcano!

Group B + Windows 7 SP1 x64 + Office 365 C2R + Linux Mint
    • #186183 Reply

anonymous

Looking for clarification and a recommendation on the following.

Group B. I haven’t updated since December so nothing from January through April. Above it says to install KB4099950 prior to the March KB4088878 update. But this article, https://www.askwoody.com/2018/patch-lady-kb4099950-gets-a-revision/, says KB4099950 does not apply to Group B patchers. Come time, do I install KB4099950 reboot and check for PCIClearStaleCache and then proceed or KB4099950 is not needed?

For the January KB4073578 or KB4056897, February KB4074587 and March updates KB4088878. Is it advisable to hold off on those for a bit longer since they don’t contain any critical patches and seemed to cause many issues or it is not recommended to continue waiting on them?

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

• #186186 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

Look for the answer to your questions to be finalized when Woody raises the DEFCON level to 3 or above. At the time, he will publish his recommendations in a blog post ans a ComputerWorld article.
        All the information is not in yet.

• #191492 Reply

anonymous

I have some possible adjustments for the list:

KB3044374 was mentioned as don’t skip (in 2015), so maybe it shouldn’t be on the avoid/uninstall list.
      “so don’t think you can skip it”
      https://www.computerworld.com/article/2910739/patch-management/microsoft-elaborates-on-kb-2990214-kb-3044374-windows-10-nagware-patches.html

Add to junk list to not install / uninstall:
      If you still have KB3035583 installed somehow remove it?
      KB3123862
      KB3173040
      KB3163589
      KB3075249
      KB3090045
      KB3072318
      KB3064683
      KB2977759
      KB3081954

Most(all?) of these never had any value and should be obsolete, so there is very little reason to have them installed.

• #192439 Reply

Erik
      AskWoody Lounger

I am in Group B with both a 32 bit Windows 7 desktop and a 64 bit Windows 8.1 laptop. Currently I haven’t patched anything since January. I skipped February and later since I absolutely rely on 2 factor authentication and read that February’s patches screwed that up and that March’s did not fix that. I know most people do use that so it might not be reported on much and maybe it got lost or forgotten about in the large amount of traffic here now. Does anyone know if it is safe for me to patch (security only) so that I will still be able to use my 2 factor authentication?

• #192444 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

The SmartCard problem has been fixed, if that’s what you are referring to.
        There have been other problems with this year’s updates. You might want to read over Woody’s DEFCON blogs and those topics where he summarizes the problems. Be sure to include the linked ComputerWorld Articles. There have been a number of hotfixes as well.

There is a problem with the May patches uninstalling NICs in Win7 that has not been fixed.

• #193218 Reply

anonymous

It looks annoying, but I’d like to try this “Group B” thing. Basically, on a fresh new installation of W7 SP1, I install the followings:

KB3177467

KB3172605

Uncheck all Roll-Up updates and problematic updates, keep only Security and .net framework/c++ redistributable updates and install all of them.

Is that right? Also, for IDK what reason, another guy here says to install only Office updates starting from June 2017: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/windows-7-updating-in-2018/291a9582-17a7-4942-8145-8d9f68265189?tm=1524412557788

• #193220 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

Although this is for Group A, read over the external to Windows Update and Windows Update settings in this post. Set them before you go online if they are available. Some will not be available until after updates are installed.

For a Clean Install what I use (for Group B) is:
        BEFORE YOU START
        Download KB3020369, KB3138612, KB3177467, and KB3172605 for your bitedness. (I know you are going to ask. Yes, all four)

OFFLINE:
        1. Install Win7. Reboot.
        2. If your installer does not include SP1, install SP1. Reboot.
        3. Open Administrative Tools\Services. Highlight Win Update Service and at top left click “Stop”
        4. Manually install the four downloaded patches in the order above. Reboot.
        5. In Windows Update Change settings – CHECK “Give me updates for other MS produces,” and set updates to “Never Check

ONLINE:
        1. Check for updates
        2. If you don’t want the telemetry updates, HIDE the ones mentioned at the top of AKB2000003. You will have to keep watching for these every time before you install updates. Particularly KB2952664.
        3. To be sure you get all the necessary updates: HIDE the current “Security Monthly Quality ROLLUP,” check for updates, HIDE the next earlier “Security Monthly Quality ROLLUP,” check for updates. Repeat this procedure until you have hidden the “October 2016 Monthly ROLLUP.”
        4. Download and Install manually from AKB2000003, the Security Only Quality Updates from Oct 2016 to the current month and the latest Cumulative Update for IE11. Reboot wait 15 min. & check.
        5. HIDE any other updates you don’t want to install (drivers, anything that has caused a problem with your PC, features you don’t want, etc)
        6. Install everything else that is CHECKED in the “important updates” list. Reboot. (I like to do this in batches. (“Updates for Win7,”) reboot wait 5 min. & check, (IE11, .NET 4.5.2 or 4.6.1 ONLY, any additional  “Updates for Win7,” and in the optionals KB2670838 Platform Update), reboot wait 5 min. & check, (any “Update for User-Mode Driver Framework”, Update for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework,” and “Update for ActiveX Killbits”), reboot wait 5 min. & check, (“Security Updates for Win7”), reboot wait 5 min. & check, (“Security Updates for MS .NET”), reboot wait 5 min. & check, (anything else that is CHECKED in the “important updates” list), reboot wait 5 min. & check.)
        7. Repeat #5 and #6 until there is nothing left that is CHECKED in the “important updates” list.
        9. HIDE any UNCHECKED important updates that you don’t intend to install in the future.
        10. Reboot. Wait 30 minutes. Run Disk Cleanup, click “Cleanup System Files,” be sure Windows Update Cleanup is checked, click OK.

I use Office 2010. I install all the checked important updates. from WU
        I also install the .NET Rollups that are checked important updates in WU.

• #193267 Reply

anonymous

1) I noticed there is no Windows Update Cleanup in my Disk Cleanup options.

2) I read many guides and none of them mentioned KB3138612, also KB3020369 is redundant since KB3177467 replaces it, as clearly stated on its page.

3) Do you really have to install manually all the security-only updates? That’s really annoying… Why can’t you just select all  of them in WU and let it do the job for you?

4) Do you instally ANY update that shows up for Windows Office 2010, even those from 2013?

5) In the optional updates you don’t install anything?

• #193281 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

1) I noticed there is no Windows Update Cleanup in my Disk Cleanup options.

Run Disk Cleanup, click on cleanup System Files. If you have run Windows update it will be there.

2) I read many guides and none of them mentioned KB3138612, also KB3020369 is redundant since KB3177467 replaces it, as clearly stated on its page.

(I know you are going to ask. Yes, all four)

3) Do you really have to install manually all the security-only updates? That’s really annoying… Why can’t you just select all of them in WU and let it do the job for you?

Security only patches are NOT offered in WU, only the Rollups. I thought you said you wanted to be in Group B.

4) Do you instally ANY update that shows up for Windows Office 2010, even those from 2013?

I use Office 2010. I install all the checked important updates. from WU

5) In the optional updates you don’t install anything?

Group B does not check “Give me recommended updates the same way I get important updates” in the WU settings. If you read Akb2000003 you will see the guidelines.

• #193268 Reply

anonymous

Even if IE updates are listed multiple times on https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000003-ongoing-list-of-group-b-monthly-updates-for-win7-and-8-1/ I have to install all of them? I just have to stick to that list anyway?

• #193276 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

The Internet Explorer updates are cumulative – only the latest one needs to be installed.

• #193283 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

4. Download and Install manually from AKB2000003, the Security Only Quality Updates from Oct 2016 to the current month and the latest Cumulative Update for IE11

• #193302 Reply

walker
          AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano:  I just noted my answer to the question I had.    It was a question regarding the cumulative update for the IE being for Group B.  I do apologize for something that I should  have known.

I try to read everything, and occasionally I make a mistake, “this may be one of them”, for which I apologize if it is.    🙁

Your invaluable assistance is sincerely appreciated, as always.   🙂

• #193306 Reply

PKCano
            AskWoody MVP

IE11 Cumulative Update is part of the Rollup you install as Group A. You do not have to worry about the individual file. It is used by Group B.

• #193310 Reply

walker
              AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano:  Thank you for your very clear reference to the IE cumulative update being part of the Rollup you install as Group A.    I sincerely appreciate the clear, concise reply.    Your expertise is outstanding, as it always is.   Thank you once again, PK.      🙂

• #193307 Reply

anonymous

Just to be fully sure, do you need to install the following types of updates?

1) C++ Redistributables

2) Definition Update for Windows Defender

3) Malicious Software Removal Tool

These kind of updates are released constantly, so I would like to know if I really need them or not.

• #193309 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

6. Install everything else that is CHECKED in the “important updates” list.

Yes, yes, yes, you need them.

• #193336 Reply

anonymous

Maybe dumb question: if I decide to install Microsoft .NET framework 4.7.2 manually (latest version available atm), will WU show me any updates for it?

• #193339 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

I haven’t installed .Net 4.7.2 yet, but I believe the updates will be included in the .NET Rollups offered through WU.

• #193472 Reply

anonymous

One thing that should be pointed out for the Group B guide:

You can’t install all the standalone WU Security-only patches in a row: you have to turn off the WU update service -> turn on -> install one update and keep repeating this procedure or the MSU installer will get stuck into a loop of “searching for updates for this computer” as documented here:

https://superuser.com/questions/1044528/attempting-to-install-msu-hotfixes-results-in-searching-for-updates-on-this-com

You can avoid doing this manually for every update by using this script:

https://superuser.com/questions/1057443/windows-update-stand-alone-pakages-msu-loop/1057487#1057487

• #193632 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
        AskWoody Lounger

The Windows Security-only patches have to be downloaded from the catalogue and installed individually using the M/S standalone installer. I myself would have WU turned off whilst doing this, until I want it to do a search afterwards. But forgive me if I’ve misunderstood your point.

• #193680 Reply

anonymous

You misunderstood. Windows 7 has lots of unfixed bugs. One of them causes your PC to get stuck in a loop “searching for updates for this computer” when you the M/S standalone installers downloaded from the catalogue. That’s why you have to keep disabling and re-enabling the WU service after every single update.

• #193682 Reply

PKCano
            AskWoody MVP

If you set WU to “Never check for updates” and disconnect from the Internet during the install, it may help you.

And you can do a direct download from AKB2000003 – those are direct Catalog downloads

• #193812 Reply

HiFlyer
              AskWoody Lounger

If you set WU to “Never check for updates” and disconnect from the Internet during the install, it may help you. And you can do a direct download from AKB2000003 – those are direct Catalog downloads

That procedure works for me….every time.  No searching when I click to install the downloaded (from AKB2000003) and saved update.  Thanks again PK.

• #193690 Reply

The Surfing Pensioner
            AskWoody Lounger

My Windows 7 doesn’t have “unfixed bugs”. I’ve never had the problem you describe at all…………………………………..or any bug-related other problem, for some time now.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #193616 Reply

anonymous

Under “Optional” updates I have “2017-10 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7 on Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4043766)”, update framework driver mode, a lot of “update for windows 7 64bit based systems”. Should I Install them even if optional?

• #193630 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

Group B does not install unchecked optional updates.

• #193667 Reply

anonymous

Do you hide the unchecked optional updates or just leave them there displayed?

• #193670 Reply

PKCano
            AskWoody MVP

I don’t even look in the optionals b/c they are all unchecked. But you can hide them if you want. I makes no difference.

• #195045 Reply

RDRguy
      AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano, @kirsty, @woody

Seeing as we have probably 19 more months of Win7 Group B security-only patches & 55 more months of Win8.1 Group B security-only patches coming from MSFT, might I suggest splitting AKB 2000003 into separate AKBs, 1 for Win7 & another for Win8.1?

As it is now, it will only keep getting larger and may eventually grow too big to keep together in a single post. Once support for Win7 stops in 2020, it would make more sense to separate out Win8.1 and why wait until it gets larger to do it?

No real necessity to do it now but either way, I find this AKB to be extremely valuable especially to those who perform clean installs and wish to remain in Group B and I thank you all for keeping this AKB updated.

Thank you.

Group B / Win7 (Ultimate & Pro) [x64 & x86]
      RDRguy

Win7 Group B (Ultimate & Pro) [x64 & x86]
      MSOffice Pro Plus 2010 SP2 (x86 Perpetual)
      MSOffice Pro Plus 2013 SP1 (x64 Perpetual)
      RDRguy

• #196019 Reply

anonymous

I have a 64 bit desk top 8.1 computer and try to follow AKB2000003’s direct catalog

downloads for Group B.  However, today I checked my installed updates against his list only

to find that I have somehow missed KB4012204 (March 2016) and KB402533 and

KB4025252 (July), and both  April 2018 security updates.  Do I uninstall everything

back to the first missed update and then install them again in sequence?  Your advice

would be much appreciated.   Thank you. Jo

• #196025 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

The Security Only updates are not cumulative. Take the ones you are missing and install them in order (Stop the Windows Update Service – you do not need to reboot in between). You do not need to uninstall anything.

The IE update is cumulative, so you only need the latest one.

• #196229 Reply

anonymous

Was there ever a definitive answer whether or not KB4099950 applies to Group B or not? I have tried searching but can’t find an answer.

What happens if the security only patches are applied and the user has the NIC/IP error that KB4099950 is for? Can KB4099950 then be installed to fix it or it must be run before the March Security Only KB4088878?

Thank you.

• #196238 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

is not a Group B patch. Group B patches are Windows SO and IE11 Cumulative.

However, you need to install KB4099950.
        If it was installed on your PC before April 17, you need to uninstall it and the March SO first b/c KB4099950 was modified 4/17. Then you need to download the current version of KB4099950 from the MS Catalog.  There are two files (an .msu and a .exe). To install, double click on the .msu – the .exe will be automatically executed in the process of the installation.

Install KB4099950 before the March SO (do not reboot), install the March SO, and reboot immediately after.

• #196720 Reply

EH
          AskWoody Lounger

Thank you PKCano for posting the list of “Group B” Win7 updates. Please correct me if I have the following procedure wrong:

I have downloaded the Jan-May Security Only updates, along with KB4099950 and IE11 KB4103768. I will install Jan, then Feb updates, followed by KB4099950 as I do not have the “C:\Windows\LOGS\PCIClearStaleCache.txt” file present. I will then install Mar, Apr, and May SO updates, followed lastly with IE11 KB4103768. If I have this correct, when do I reboot during the procedure?

Thank you again.

• #196267 Reply

anonymous

Double checking. https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/comments-on-akb-2000003-ongoing-list-of-group-b-monthly-updates-for-win7-and-8-1-2/#post-185318 That post says to install KB4099950 and then reboot to check for Windows\LOGS\PCIClearStaleCache.txt file and the above says do not reboot and immediately install KB4088878.

• #196273 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

The instructions directly above are the correct ones after the revision 4/17.

• #196754 Reply

HiFlyer
          AskWoody Lounger

The instructions directly above are the correct ones after the revision 4/17.

PK;  I vaguely remember something about installing Feb SO before Jan SO because it had a fix for a problem.   Do you remember what that was about?

• #196756 Reply

PKCano
            AskWoody MVP

Maybe the AMD thing?

• #196759 Reply

HiFlyer
              AskWoody Lounger

Maybe the AMD thing?

That’s probably it.  I have 2 AMD win7 laptops I had to update, and I remember seeing  on AW to install Feb SO before Jan.     I did and had none of the problems about rebooting.

I just can’t remember where the post was.  Thanks.   Senior Moments 🙁

• #196274 Reply

anonymous

Thank you PKCano.

• #196763 Reply

anonymous

Please correct me if I have the following procedure wrong:

I have downloaded the Jan-May Security Only updates, along with KB4099950 and IE11 KB4103768. I will install Jan, then Feb updates, followed by KB4099950 as I do not have the “C:\Windows\LOGS\PCIClearStaleCache.txt” file present. I will then install Mar, Apr, and May SO updates, followed lastly with IE11 KB4103768. If I have this correct, when do I reboot during the procedure?

Win7 / 64-bit / Group B

• #196769 Reply

PKCano
        AskWoody MVP

Slight revision. Install in this order – reboot where indicated:
        KB 4074587 Feb SO
        KB 4073578 Jan SO
        KB 4099950 (be sure you download both files .msu and .exe – only double click .msu)
        KB 4088878 Mar SO
        Reboot – wait 15 minutes after login to proceed.
        KB 4093108 Apr SO
        KB 4103712 May SO
        KB 4103768 May IE CU
        Reboot

• #196840 Reply

HiFlyer
          AskWoody Lounger

@pkcano “#196769 Slight revision. Install in this order – reboot where indicated: KB 4074587 Feb SO KB 4073578 Jan SO KB 4099950 (be sure you download both files .msu and .exe – only double click .msu)”

You found the AMD post?

• #196860 Reply

EH
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks again PKCano.

I do not have an AMD system. Should I still install the Feb update before the Jan SO update?

• #196862 Reply

PKCano
            AskWoody MVP

Yes

EH

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Comments on AKB 2000003: Ongoing list of "Group B" monthly updates for Win7 and 8.1

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.