News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Comments on AKB 2000016: Guide for Windows Update Settings for Windows 10

Home Forums Knowledge Base Comments on AKB 2000016: Guide for Windows Update Settings for Windows 10

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Due to the fact that this will be an ongoing discussion, a separate topic has been created.

Please feel free to ask questions about AKB2000016 here

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2141979 Reply
        TonyC
        AskWoody Lounger

I have some comments concerning the document AKB2000016. I don’t currently have a Windows 10 system. I am a Windows 7 user who is now in the process of buying a new PC and trying to decide whether to install Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro on it. Hence my interest in this document.

1. There are statements on the Internet that the metered connection setting works only for a Wifi connection – it does not work for an Ethernet connection. If this is correct, I think this should be stated in the document. And where would this leave Windows 10 Home users trying to manage updates over an Ethernet connection?

2. I have seen a Windows 10 Home system (at the 1903 feature level) on display in a local store and, in the Advanced Options section, it also had the ability to set an ending calendar date for pausing updates. It therefore appears that Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro have identical function in the Windows Update GUI for pausing updates. If this is correct, I think this should be stated in the document.

3. The document suggests specific settings for managing updates to Windows 10 Pro, but it would be useful if it did the same for Windows 10 Home.

4. The problem I am facing in trying to choose between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro is that I am trying to build a picture in my mind how I might manage updates with each version. The document lists 4 types of update: Feature, Quality, Optional and Other.

One issue is how do I find out, for each type of update, what updates are available for download and installation? As a Windows 7 user (and a former user of many of its predecessors), I would be tempted to click “Check for Updates”, but the document explicitly warns you not to do this. I can only assume that they just suddenly appear in the Windows Update GUI.

Another issue is, once I know, for each type of update, what is available, how do I either hide the update or install it? I am guessing that wushowhide, the “Download” button, and the “Download and install now” instruction have a role to play in this.

In summary, for my purpose, the document would have been better if it had contained a suggested procedure for managing the updates to each of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro rather than just suggested settings.

• #2142032 Reply
          b
          AskWoody Plus

1. There are statements on the Internet that the metered connection setting works only for a Wifi connection – it does not work for an Ethernet connection. If this is correct, I think this should be stated in the document. And where would this leave Windows 10 Home users trying to manage updates over an Ethernet connection?

Metered connection for Ethernet was not originally available in Settings, but has been since version 1703. So any articles that say metered connection is only available for wi-fi are nearly three years out of date.

Windows 10 Pro Version 2004: Group ASAP (chump/pioneer)

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2142124 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

2. I have seen a Windows 10 Home system (at the 1903 feature level) on display in a local store and, in the Advanced Options section, it also had the ability to set an ending calendar date for pausing updates.

The information on ending date has been added.

The answer for #3 – QKB2000016 says:

The “Pause” period begins when you click “Pause.” If you click “Pause” three times (for example), it will pause updates for 21 days. This should delay updating long enough to see if there any real problems with the patches.

Another issue is, once I know, for each type of update, what is available, how do I either hide the update or install it? I am guessing that wushowhide, the “Download” button, and the “Download and install now” instruction have a role to play in this.

That is correct and is covered in the document.

There is no procedure that is correct for everyone. The individual has to choose the settings that are correct for them. I have given an example in the settings I use for Pro and the reasons I use them. But that does not work for all.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2145795 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

Hmm..I am using win1903 Pro AND Home. (different systems) When the pause function appeared in1903, it was the same on both. At the end of the time period selected, some updates were downloaded and installed without any options. Others waited for click to download. It is worrisome that we are not given the option on EACH update. Perhaps Group Edit in Pro would give more choice but seems Home users are in the dark. Wushowhide therefore would be useful in some instances, not in others.

Comments?

Don

• #2176429 Reply
        hms
        AskWoody Plus

PKCano, thank you so much for your Update Settings guide. It was invaluable in helping me set up a new W10 pc. The update process is so much more complex that W10’s predecessors.

I began setting up a new W10 pro desktop last week using your recommended settings in your guide. Fortunately, the pc has 1909 installed so I will not have to worry about a version update for awhile.

Pause Updates: It was set to 7 days as set up from Dell

Defer Feature Updates: I changed it to 365 I think; thought I could change it again if needed. This option later disappeared.

Defer Quality Updates: Left at 0.

Used gpedit to change update setting to “2”.

Questions:

1. After setting that, the Defer Feature Updates setting disappeared entirely. Do not know why.
        2. On Monday, Windows Update screen showed about 8 or so pending/available updates. I did not take a photo of the screen. Then the list no longer appears on the screen. I do not know why as the updates were not installed. WUshowhide shows no updates to hide. Is this because “pause updates” is set?
        3. When the Pause Updates day arrives, how do I know what will be installed? In the last paragraph, you state that you can see what updates are pending, but none show up on this pc.
        4. At minimum I should install Svc Stack 4538674 and cum update 4532691 from February. How is this done if there is no list to select from?

I have spent a number of hours trying to resolve these questions, but my searches have been in vain so far.

Why did MS make the update process so convoluted when it was simple, although imperfect, before?

Thanks for your assistance to a W10 novice.

• #2176440 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Read AKB2000016 more closely. It answers all your questions.

After setting that, the Defer Feature Updates setting disappeared entirely. Do not know why

Yes. There are settings in Group Policy under Windows Update or Windows Update for Business. As stated, the only setting in Group Policy for Windows Update should be the “2” (notify download/install). The rest should be “Not configured” because any setting there will cause the pulldowns in the WU GUI to be grayed out or disappear. The pulldowns in the GUI is where you should set the Feature/Quality deferrals (they are certainly easier to get to). There are links to show how to set the “2” in AKB2000016.

Then the list no longer appears on the screen.

When you defer, pause, or hide updates, you are telling WU NOT to show them as pending. So they won’t show up in the WU queue until the time is over or they are unhidden.

When the Pause Updates day arrives, how do I know what will be installed? In the last paragraph, you state that you can see what updates are pending, but none show up on this pc.

When the Pause ends, ALL the available pending updates will download/install irrespective of the “2” setting in Group Policy. Once Pause is ended, you cannot use it again until the pending updates are installed. That is why I do not use Pause (as stated).

• #2176515 Reply
            hms
            AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the response.

I carefully followed your instructions in sec 3, Group Policy Settings. I set only the “2” notify/download. I did not make any other changes using the Group Policy Settings.

I left the Pause updates to 7 as that seemed to be the instruction before the Defcon setting was raised to 3. My mistake.

When paused updates install, will the optional ones install as well?

• #2176524 Reply
              PKCano
              Da Boss

When paused updates install, will the optional ones install as well?

Everything that is pending in the WU queue will install. Probably not the optional ones, b/c they will not appear.

I carefully followed your instructions in sec 3, Group Policy Settings. I set only the “2” notify/download. I did not make any other changes using the Group Policy Settings.

You may have only set what I suggested, but you need to look at what the Vendor of the new PC set. The pulldowns in the GUI will not disappear unless there are settings set in Group Policy in Windows Update and/or Windows Update for Business.
              If you use the settings I suggested, you do not need to Pause. The available updates will show in the queue but not download until you click “Download,” thus giving you the chance to hide anything you don’t want to install.
              You need to look at the Pause date end. You can extend it by clicking again on the “Pause” button up to 35 days total. You do not want updates until at least 14-21 days after the next Patch Tuesday (that’s Mar 10). Also, there is a Topic discussing how you can extend it farther here. Once you get past this initial pause, with Pro version, I would recommend not using it again.

• #2176530 Reply
                hms
                AskWoody Plus

The Feature Update Deferral was there until I made the entry in Windows Update. All other settings in Windows Update section are “not configured”. I do not know how to access the Windows Update for Business.

I may just have to reinstall windows to get it back.

PS: After sending this, searched the forum. Woody had an article in Computerworld 11/7/2019 – “Disappearing Windows Update deferral pane suddenly reappears”. The article explains that the deferral option may disappear if one enters a different number. This pertained to 1903 and may apply to 1909 as well. May be fixed with an update. May post something in the general forum to see if anyone else has had the issue.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by hms.
              • #2176534 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

Windows Update for Business is below Windows update, a “subfolder” of it.
                And, no, you don’t have to reinstall Windows to get it back.
                You should not make the Feature deferral setting in Group Policy – undo that.
                You should use the GUI settings only.
                The only GP setting should be “2”

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by PKCano.
              • #2176539 Reply
                hms
                AskWoody Plus

The panel for “Update and Security” has no Business settings folder – just Windows Update.

I changed Feature Deferral in the Advanced Options screen -Pause Updates section. The Quality Update box is still there, but not the Feature Update. As I mentioned in my amended prior post, it was a problem apparently in 1903. I will post in general forum to see if anyone has had this issue in 1909 so I will not bother you anymore with this minor issue.

Thanks for your help.

• #2176540 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

Please look at this picture. On the left just below the red arrow pointing at Windows Update is Windows update for business.
                It is in Group Policy NOT in the GUI panel.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by PKCano.
              • #2176548 Reply
                hms
                AskWoody Plus

Oops, sorry. Misunderstood that “Business” was in Group Policy. Checked this section – nothing is configured there. I also “unconfigured” the download setting for the time being since “Pause” seems to be controlling anyway.

Thanks for bearing with me.

• #2176556 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

It’s not the “2” you should unconfigure in Group Policy.
                It’s the 365 days deferral that should be unconfigured in Group Policy.
                When you unconfigure the deferral in GP, the pulldown for Feature deferral will reappear in the GUI (you may have to reboot).

• #2176586 Reply
                hms
                AskWoody Plus

Where is this setting in group policy? I used the GUI drop down when I set it.

• #2176668 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

The settings in Group Policy are either under Windows Update or Windows Update for business. See picture in link three posts above.

• #2176775 Reply
                KYKaren
                AskWoody Plus

The available updates will show in the queue but not download until you click “Download,” thus giving you the chance to hide anything you don’t want to install.

So, 1) the updates appear in the queue with a “Download” button and 2) immediately thereafter, you hide the ones you don’t want to install.

So, given 1) and 2) above:
                1. Are they hidden immediately, i.e., they then (spontaneously) disappear from the WU screen? Or do you have to wait until the Scheduler does a WU again for them to disappear the WU screen?

2. If you don’t want to wait for the scheduler to act, you yourself can make them disappear from the WU screen by following the instructions of AKB2000013?

3. Does following the instructions of AKB2000013 get rid of the updates altogether (i.e., they no longer exist anywhere, not even in wushowhide ‘show hidden updates’)? Or does following AKB2000013 serve the purpose of making them disappear from the WU screen immediately, but at the same time keeping them hidden (i.e., AKB2000013 updates the WU screen right away)?

Offline: Win7Pro ∙ SP1 ∙ x64
                Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-6500U ∙ RAM 12GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender
                Online: Win10Pro ∙ 1909.18363 ∙ x64 ∙ i7-8565U ∙ RAM 16GB ∙ SSD ∙ Firefox ∙ McAfee Internet Security ∙ Windows Defender

• #2176784 Reply
                PKCano
                Da Boss

Please reread AKB2000016 and AKB2000013. The answers to your questions are there. Repeating them would be redundancy.

• #2176471 Reply
          jabeattyauditor
          AskWoody Lounger

Why did MS make the update process so convoluted when it was simple, although imperfect, before?

To be fair, Microsoft’s update process isn’t that convoluted – in fact, it’s rather simple.

End-user attempts to control that update process, to make it into something it isn’t – that’s where you get into convoluted territory.

b
      • #2209555 Reply
        berniec
        AskWoody Plus

I think I asked you this before but I needed to set up a new win10 and so I dug out the “update” settings post and I’ll ask the question I asked before: Is there a *difference* between setting the feature update stuff from  “windows update for business” with gpedit versus doing it from an admin-account Settings->Update & Security GUI?   I realize that setting it with gpedit might mess up the GUI, but if that’s not an issue is there any other benefit to doing it with the GUI?

• #2209560 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Personally, I find accessing the GUI much easier. The “2” setting in GP is set and forget. But is is a much easier to get to the pulldowns in the GUI. They will not be available if you use the GP settings.

Here’s an example. I maintain/update the Office computer for my Homeowners Assn. I have kept them on v1809 until this morning. What with the quarantining and isolation demands today, I didn’t want to get caught up against v1809 EOL in May.
          So, this morning, to do the upgrade to v1909, all I had to do was change the Feature deferral pulldown from 365 days to 120 days and check for updates. A 30-second task (then wait for three hours for the completion of the install).

See AKB2000016 for more information.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Comments on AKB 2000016: Guide for Windows Update Settings for Windows 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.