News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Comments on AKB2000020: Mac Guide for Windows Users Wanting to Switch

Home Forums Knowledge Base Comments on AKB2000020: Mac Guide for Windows Users Wanting to Switch

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Author
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Due to the large size of the Mac Guide , a separate topic has been created.

Please feel free to comment or ask questions about AKB2000020 here

Navigation to AKB2000020.
        Introduction
        Purchasing a Mac
        Setting Up a Mac
        Getting to Know a Mac
        Getting Started with Mac apps
        Getting to Know Apple Services
        Getting Support for a Mac

7 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2170664 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

A big thank you to Nathan Parker on his really elaborated series of posts.

For the last couple of years I was looking into switching (back) to a Mac…

Over the years I have owned an Apple II, Apple IIC, Apple IIGS and did some publishing work on a Lisa.

My work at a bank made me develop application for the first DOS IBM compatible PCs, so I had to switch at home as well.

So, When Windows 10 was out and me using Windows 7, it was easy and the right time to switch to a Mac, or so I thought.

At first I was looking for hardware support  (3 X 3TB HDDs, AIO Laser printer, streaming video, audio.. to a streamer…printing to a wi-fi printer…)

ALL the storage devices needed NTFS read/write support. This could have been sorted by buying Paragon app.

The second were applications. I checked one by one for similar functioning apps but failed to find some very important, to me, apps.

As dual boot with Windows is not an option, I upgraded to a new Windows 10 laptop 🙁

I will be looking the  years ahead (not many left:-) for new options to switch.

2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2170671 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

Paragon NTFS for Mac comes free with Seagate external HDDs. I use it all the time.
          And you wouldn’t believe how well Parallels Desktop runs all versions of Windows on Macs. I do some really weird things with that setup – run diving scoring with Daktronics console and scoreboard (try USB to DB9 RS232 adapter to the console from a Win VM)

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #2170934 Reply
            Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus

And you wouldn’t believe how well Parallels Desktop runs all versions of Windows on Macs

If I need Paralles for Windows what the point in buying a Mac ?

• #2170961 Reply
              PKCano
              Da Boss

I just run Macs now for every-day use. But how could I support Windows Users on AskWoody without the Windows VMs of multiple versions of Windows (XP, Win7, Win8.1, Win10 1803, 1809, 1903, 1909 (Win10 changes as it progresses(?) ). Certainly don’t have room for that many PCs.

• #2170774 Reply
        anonymous

If new Macs are too expensive for you, mention should be made of buying a used one. That was my path from Windows to Mac. I got a High Sierra imac for $350. Not the cutting edge, but it got me out of the Windows circus.

• #2170822 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks to PK and Nathan for the very helpful work they are doing with the Mac KB thread.

I would like to add to Nathan’s description of the Mac’s “Preview”, part of the core of Mac applications usually preinstalled, that is not just something for looking at images in the JPEG, PNG, etc. formats, or looking at a PDF file contents, but also has some pretty useful editing features for cropping images by “lassoing” them; for exporting, let’s say, a PNG file image to another file in the GIF format (*), that results in an image file considerably smaller without appreciable loss of resolution; to decrease the resolution in terms of pixels per horizontal and vertical line, etc. etc. I use it a lot and find it quite sufficient for many of my needs, such as making presentations illustrated with pictures pasted in from image files small enough to result, in turn, in a PPTx file sufficiently small to be emailed as an attachment to a message without it being stripped or even having the email blocked.

(*) To get the full set of file formats to chose for the exported image, one needs to keep a finger pressing firmly on the “option” key when selecting the format. Only in this way one can get to see and choose GIF and other formats that, otherwise, do not get shown in the scroll up menu. (For some reason having to do with some arcane copyright issue, I think, neither Apple nor MS favor GIF and try to keep it out of sight as much as possible but, if one tries hard enough to find it, it is there.)

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• #2171117 Reply
        anonymous

I was surprised to see that WineBottler wasn’t mentioned (https://winebottler.kronenberg.org/). WineBottler is basically a compiled version of Wine that is designed to be newbie-friendly and easy to use, so you don’t have to compile Wine yourself.

As of February 2020 it does not support macOS Catalina, but the developer is working on it.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2171152 Reply
        RamRod
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you very much for this comprehensive guide.

I am in a slow, unintentional migration away from WinX. I’m taking an ‘ecosystem’ approach to the migration. I figure I can go Apple, Android, or Linux. This guide makes it very clear how to go the Apple way.

My wife has an iPhone 11, an iPad (2019), and an Android tablet. She (and I) are very accustomed word processing in Word – not New Word (2007 and newer), but Classic Word (2003). I’m curious what you might recommend to complete my wife’s migration away from WinX and associated hardware while maintaining our computing customs.

Thanks again,

RamRod

• #2171306 Reply
        pmcjr6142
        AskWoody Plus

This is excellent work.  I was perfectly satisfied with my Win 7 PC, but faced with the prospect of having to move to Win 10 and most likely a new PC as well, I decided a few months ago that a Mac made sense for me.  I’ve spent this time researching how to do this and that on a Mac and watched many, many youtube videos.  They can be a great source on how to set up and operate a Mac.  Last weekend I finally made the move and bought an iMac from the Apple Store.  These last few days have been stressful as I began using a Magic Mouse and Apple Key Board for the first time and looking up this and that.  PK Cano’s tutorial is a good rear view mirror look at what I have been trying to learn on my own.  So far, I really like the Mac and it’s been a great brain exercise.  If you want a Mac…go for it.  I think you’ll like it.

• #2171314 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

I did some Topics on some very basic Mac setups in the MacOS Forum maybe a couple of years ago. If you go to the very end of the page list and work backward, there is info on how to set up Finder close to Windows Explorer, and info on non-Mac apps that you are familiar with you can add (FireFox, ThunderBird, Libre Office VLC Player, etc).

And Nathan Parker has added a world of recent Topics since then.

• #2171717 Reply
        NetDef
        AskWoody_MVP

Wow!  Thank you @parkernathan !

This is one of the best startup guides I’ve ever seen targeted specifically to Windows users curious about switching to modern Apple OS products.

How about a section on integrating Mac’s into a Windows AD network with full seamless access to corporate file shares and plotters/printers?  😀

And for folks in the Engineering and Architecture fields, AutoDesk now has a native AutoCAD (and Maya) application.  Sadly no Revit . . . yet.

~ Group "Weekend" ~

• #2172095 Reply
        Lars220
        AskWoody Lounger

Readers Digest online magazine has a recent article about Mac laptops that may be of interest for newcomers considering switching to Mac (?)  The article has lots of pictures with short brief descriptions.  Maybe this might be helpful for some ?

15 Things You Didn’t Know Your Mac Laptop Could Do

https://www.rd.com/advice/things-you-didnt-know-mac-laptops-could-do/

• #2173446 Reply
        Nathan Parker
        AskWoody_MVP

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I forgot to mention Paragon NTFS. It is an excellent app for those who need NTFS Support (that’d be good to add to the guide).

I mentioned WINE but forgot to mention WINEBottler. I’ve had issues getting it to package apps on a test Mac I worked on, but I could be “doing it wrong”. I can run more tests.

Apple used to have a Mac Integration Basics guide for AD users. It seems the last one they released was for Sierra, so it’s a bit dated:

https://books.apple.com/us/book/mac-integration-basics-10-12/id1207918989

I could review it and prepare something similar a little more updated, but in the meantime, that might help.

Nathan Parker

Viewing 9 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Comments on AKB2000020: Mac Guide for Windows Users Wanting to Switch

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.