News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Comments on Eraser (file shredder) program

Home Forums Tools Comments on Eraser (file shredder) program

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Tex265
      AskWoody Plus

Anyone with Pros or Cons on the file shredder program “Eraser”to use on Windows 10?

It seems to be well liked by many internet site reviewers.

Any installation or uninstall problems?

The program defaults to download from Sourceforge. I read under new ownership that they stopped packaging junk with their downloads.  Any confirmation of this?

Thx

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1803 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
    • #557503 Reply

dg1261
      AskWoody_MVP

I’ve used it on Win7, and I see no reason why it wouldn’t work on Win10. After all, the file system is the same (NTFS).

I use it to erase free space on a drive/partition, and have occasionally done spot checks with a sector editor to verify it actually does what it says it does. (It doesn’t just zero the space, it overwrites it with random data, which is actually better for its intended purpose, anyway.) It’s been years since I’ve used it for individual files, but given how it works on a drive’s free space, I have no reason to doubt its efficacy for sanitizing individual files if that’s the task you give it.

FWIW, I don’t install it, I use the portable version. The portable version does not contain any junk-ware or added garbage.

• #569284 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

It probably doesn’t work on SSDs because the data location is determined internally to provide wear levelling, not necessarily where Windows thinks it is.

If TRIM is working on your SSD then deleting the file and removing it from the recycle bin will result in the location being overwritten by the SSD in under a minute. Effectively securely erasing the file for you.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Comments on Eraser (file shredder) program

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.