News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Comparing three file-compression tools

Posted on Tracey Capen Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Comparing three file-compression tools

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Tracey Capen
        AskWoody MVP

GENERAL COMPUTING By Lance Whitney Windows includes its own tool for compressing and uncompressing single files, multiple files, and entire folders. B
        [See the full post at: Comparing three file-compression tools]

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2170343 Reply
        Fred
        AskWoody Plus

Great article. 7Zip is a winner, indeed to me.

I am hoping that WinRar from RarLabs will be comopared too, if that’s possible?

Thank you.

After all.. Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us.
        2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2170685 Reply
          Norio
          AskWoody Plus

I agree, 7-zip is an excellent product.  I also agree that WinRAR should be considered; I think it’s better than WinZip, and it’s $20 cheaper!  And as far as freebies go, what about PeaZip?

1 user thanked author for this post.
          • #2171112 Reply
            anonymous

Aren’t WinZIP and WinRAR the products that keep pestering you to buy a license because the trial period expires after 40 days (even when it doesn’t and you can technically use it indefinitely)? I always thought the license was only for businesses and home users can safely ignore that message. The main reason why I use 7-Zip is because it truly is free and doesn’t have those annoying popups, and can do basically everything that WinZIP and WinRAR could already do.

• #2170701 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

I also like the checksum facility within 7-Zip, although not sure other de/compression utilities offer it now. Haven’t tried or needed any others, this just does it all for me. 7-Zip has been my goto for years and prior to that was winRAR in the XP era.

Win7 Pro x86/x64 | Win8.1 Pro x64 | Linux Hybrids x86/x64 |
        2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Comparing three file-compression tools

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.