• Comparison: Affinity Photo, GIMP, and PaintShop Pro

Home » Forums » Newsletter and Homepage topics » Comparison: Affinity Photo, GIMP, and PaintShop Pro

Author
    Topic

PHOTO EDITING By Nathan Segal These days, it’s likely you spend more time managing and editing digital photos than you did taking the shots. Getting t
    [See the full post at: Comparison: Affinity Photo, GIMP, and PaintShop Pro]

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

I used to use PaintShop Pro a long time ago.  For the last several years, I’ve been using Paint.NET.

Re Paint Shop Pro, I gave up on anything which Corel acquired decades ago. That includes Paint Shop Pro, WordPerfect, HotMetal Pro, et cetera. I have the email trail of the “promises” by Corel’s CEO that SoftQuad HotMetal Pro would not be abandoned. Yet it was immediately abandoned, as was WordPerfect. Does Corel even still exist?

This was a helpful article and will be very useful in due time.  But my problem is organizing photos, not polishing them.  Fine tuning them has to wait.  What PC software is best for organizing a decade or two worth of photos?  At the moment that is the challenge I face, but most of the photo software reviews focus on editing and effects, not organizing.

1 user thanked author for this post.

“Best” is a difficult question … but, well. There are lots of these. There are both dedicated organizers without any editing, and then there are integrated tools… and workflow-integrated for businesses (publishing houses and the like) and…

A number of people I know use “digiKam”… it’s originally a KDE application (so Linux) but is liked also on Windows and Mac. Users of discontinued tools like “local-only” Picasa application and others seem to switch to this a lot. Can do a proper client/server setup, even… (see https://scribblesandsnaps.com/2018/10/19/use-digikam-with-a-nas-and-mariadb/ )

Adobe of course has several options for this. (Adobe Bridge is supposed to be a dedicated organizer, then Photoshop Elements and up from there…)

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_organizer

@LarryG — for digital image management, check out IMATCH.  It is very powerful and has a learning curve; the results are worth it.

All, the freeware photo editing app Picture Window Pro is worth a look.

Thanks for this article it was useful information.

For normal organization and quick, simple edits of my photos, I use FastStone Image Viewer. I’ve kept my photos well organized for years. It is also better for viewing photos than what W10 comes up with. I’ve also used Irfanview, with good results.

When I’ve received a mass of photos (say, my brother just digitized a bunch of old family photos and some may be duplicates of ones I already have, but most are just not tagged, or titled in a meaningful way) I’ll use Diffractor to sort into approximate years, and apply tags for location, persons, and occasion. It works quicker for that, for me, than FastStone.

For really working with photos, and doing digital scrap booking, I use GIMP. There are a lot of tutorials to follow, to really learn the different plugins and tools available within the program. It has been worth the time and energy to learn, and the results are great.

For me, the very best use of photos was doing reality testing for children who’s mother was in an abusive relationship, and they were angry at her, because their father was telling them that she had never loved him, and only used him, which justified his angry behavior. There was nothing like being able to show them their mother’s glowing face, in love, throughout the early years of the marriage, as she hugged, cuddled, baked special meals, etc… and they could see that they were loved, too. The dad had destroyed the printed copies of those photos, and was winning his retelling of history, up until the digital copies were given to the kids. No further comments were necessary, as they could see the truth.

Your personal history can be important to you and your family, as documented in the photos we all take. Whatever program you end up using, back up the originals, and the edits, and make sure that other family members have a way to access them (their own copies, or your passwords) if you do suddenly pass. It is more urgent than ever, in this time of COVID-19, to make sure the children and grandchildren learn about their family, their culture, and their heritage. One of the things our family is doing, during this one time stay at home opportunity, is making sure that digital copies of all photos exist, with as much documentation as possible, shared among all. We no longer live in a culture where the oral stories are told and retold, embedded in the next generations’ memories. Document.

It is worthwhile to get the school age kids involved in writing and documenting their own stories… so don’t forget to include them.

Non-techy Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint experimenter

I do photography, not raster graphics work, so I typically look for photo editors rather than general raster graphics editors. PhotoShop and GIMP can do both, but they’re a bit harder to use if you’re just looking for a program that can touch up photos, so I look for things that are billed as Lightroom alternatives. GIMP has a really steep learning curve so I don’t bother. I think I heard of Affinity Photo but I’ve never used it, might give it a try. Currently I use a program called PhotoDirector to edit my photos in, which is a pretty solid Lightroom competitor that at least has a non-subscription option. There are also free alternatives like Darktable and RawTherapee. I shoot Nikon, and Nikon has a program called Capture NX-D that works best with their proprietary raw file format.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    Reply To: Comparison: Affinity Photo, GIMP, and PaintShop Pro

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: