News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Computer suddenly shows in home network as media device

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Computer suddenly shows in home network as media device

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Erica Westley
        AskWoody Plus

Suddenly today, File Explorer is showing my networked laptop as a “Media Device” instead of a “Computer”. This has never happened before. Today, if I double-click the device icon, it opens with Windows Media player. I now can’t access the documents that, until yesterday, I was happily sharing on my home network. A Google search shows that many others have reported this problem over the last 3 years, but despite all the questions and responses I’ve been reading today, I haven’t been able to find a solution that allows me to share this laptop’s files again between networked computers. How could a long-networked computer suddenly turn overnight into a media device??? Between yesterday and today, I had made no changes to my router, to any network or sharing settings, or to any of the computers on my network. I just turned them on as I always do, and tried to open the laptop to share a file – unsuccessfully to my shock!
        Laptop is MS Surface Go, 18 months old. Win10 Pro, Version 2004, OS Build 19041.867

b
        AskWoody MVP

Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.985 + Microsoft 365 (group ASAP)

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Computer suddenly shows in home network as media device

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.