News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • conditional formatting on column

Posted on beethoven Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    • This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks ago.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        beethoven
        AskWoody Plus

I would like to apply a colour to cells in a column that are in the 10% of values. While I can create the rules for  =D1:D50  I fail to do this for the whole column. What would be the correct formula in that case.  It seems to work on one column with =$B:$B but one of the other columns clearly has cells highlighted that would be outside the 10% using this approach.

• #2279093 Reply
        RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

What does your conditional format formula look like. What range does it apply to?

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

• #2279103 Reply
        beethoven
        AskWoody Plus

RG,

as mentioned it’s very basic and works in one column but not the next one. I did not enter a formula, just used the Conditional formatting box, chose Format only top or bottom ranked values, used 10 % percent, applied formatting and applied it to the whole column as =$B:$B

I am doing this on 5 columns and while I can set up the proper ranges like =$I$2:$I$2124, I need to extend this down every day and just would like to simply this.

• #2279158 Reply
        RetiredGeek
        AskWoody MVP

Beethoven,

It seems to work for me:
        toptenPct

Note: I had to create the rule, then go back in and change the Applies To range!
        HTH

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
        Computer Specs

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2279258 Reply
        beethoven
        AskWoody Plus

Excellent – many thanks

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: conditional formatting on column

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.