News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Conexant and the 2004 saga continues

Home Forums AskWoody blog Conexant and the 2004 saga continues

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        Susan Bradley
        Manager

I’m scratching my head a bit this morning reading the post on Bleeping computer. Microsoft has addressed the last remaining known issues affecting Win
        [See the full post at: Conexant and the 2004 saga continues]

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

3 users thanked author for this post.
        howardagoldberg
        AskWoody Plus

All I can say is … ARGHHH! Given that when *offered* the update, WU just stalled at 61% (while still in Windows, not during a reboot or rollback) as you detailed my experience in an earlier post.

So now that I am on 20H2 … will I get 21H1 without issue? That is the next unanswered question. I cannot even imagine what the issue is. And to your point, why MS cannot (at this point) silently uninstall the driver at the beginning of the update process, and then reinstall silently during one of the reboots …

I think we deserve some type of technical explanation, if for no other reason, I cannot imagine that those of us with Conexant drivers will not continue to face this issue for all subsequent (at least major) updates.

anonymous

I allowed my computer to do “feature update” to 20H2 last week. When I went to the privacy and telemetry settings yesterday I saw that EVERYTHING was turned back on, EVERY ‘Auto’ everything, plus all the ‘collection/enhancement services’.  Maybe that’s why I was crashing while doing “screen share” video on Zoom? A whole lot of ‘automatic’ stuff running in the background? I’m out in the sticks, my download is 23Mbs, upload 2.4Mbs. I thought that ‘reset to default’ feature had been cancelled… hmmmm.

anonymous

I finally traded in a HP that had this audio chip. Really too bad but a lesson learned that hardware even for Windows has its end of support dates even when they shouldn’t. Trouble is hardware is something you cannot change easily especially in a notebook. At this point you have to wonder if this issue is finally fixed? Or just that Windows will simply not block any updates from now on.

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

At this point you have to wonder if this issue is finally fixed?

No, it hasn’t been fixed by Conexant or Microsoft (and probably never will).
        Microsoft has a “workaround” to upgrade to 2004/20H2, fail the update and revert, and ask for re-update.

EP
          AskWoody_MVP

at least not completely.

only MS is just recently lifting all the Conexant driver upgrade blocks for 2004/20H2/21H1 but Synaptics (yes that same Synaptics company who bought off Conexant Systems in late 2017 and also is one of the makers of those internal touchpad devices) is only providing updated drivers for recent PCs made in the past few years but maybe not to old PCs made several years ago

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Conexant and the 2004 saga continues

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.