News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Configurations that won’t work with Windows 7

Posted on WSBigMtnMama Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Configurations that won’t work with Windows 7

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        WSBigMtnMama
        AskWoody Lounger

My husband’s aging laptop is dying and he needs a new computer. He is 79 with dementia but can still use Win7, mostly for Internet and email. He also uses Office Word 2000 for some writing and editing. We are retired living in Mexico.

Our local computer guru wanted to sell us an $800 laptop and I told him I’d find a computer myself. I am looking at reconditioned mini-towers. He said not all configurations would work with Windows 7. IF this is true, what configurations should I avoid?

For example, anything in either of these configurations that might cause problems:

Intel I5 Quad-Core 3. 1 GHz Processor 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, DVD Optical Drive

Intel i5-2400, 8GB Ram, 240GB Brand New Solid State HD, Wireless WIFI

Many thanks
        BigMtnMama

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Both of those configurations would be fine with W7.

I would have thought a refurbished W7 laptop would be the best choice.
        Alternatively, a Chromebook might be even easier and they can be had new for $200 – $300, although you would have to use Google docs instead of Office.

cheers, Paul

WSBigMtnMama
          AskWoody Lounger

There don’t seem to be any refurbished Win7 computers available right now on Amazon. Shipping to Mexico and getting thru customs is best done by Amazon unfortunately. THANKS!!

Alex5723
            AskWoody Plus

Your biggest problem will be installing Windows 7 on a new PC.
            Even if you have the original Windows 7 install CD\DVDs you will have to update
            years of Windows updates up to 1.2020 or leave the PC vulnerable to thousands of security, software… bugs especially as the PC will be used online.

You maybe lucky getting an ISO Windows 7 at heidoc.net.

I too think that the best solution to current usage is a Chromebook or an iPad + keyboard .

You can use Office online with both and the iPad has Microsoft’s Office apps.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by Alex5723.
            DrBonzo
            AskWoody Plus

@WSBigMtnMama – I don’t know how Customs works, but Dell typically has refurbished Win 7 desktops available (probably need to supply your own monitor, keyboard, and mouse) https://www.dellrefurbished.com

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

leave the PC vulnerable to thousands of security, software… bugs

Not according to Canadian Tech.

If you can’t get a W7 license with the machine you will need to find a retail license and that could be tricky – they exist but are they scams?

cheers, Paul

Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Not according to Canadian Tech.

I don’t think Canadian Tech’s methods will suite the user this Windows 7 intended for.

JohnW
        AskWoody Lounger

@WSBigMtnMama – I don’t know how Customs works, but Dell typically has refurbished Win 7 desktops available (probably need to supply your own monitor, keyboard, and mouse) https://www.dellrefurbished.com

Here are seven Windows 7 Professional laptops that are currently available at Dell Refurbished, ranging in price from $319 to $509. They only have one of each in stock, and their inventory turns over often. So keep checking back until you find what you want:

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/laptops?operating_system%5B%5D=Win%207%20Pro

My current laptop is a Dell Latitude refurb, and is quite solid and reliable. The Latitude is the business grade laptop from Dell, and they are built like a tank for corporate road warriors. The Latitude is also the type of work laptop issued by my employer.

Recommended!

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Configurations that won’t work with Windows 7

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.