News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Confused about upgrading from Win 7 to 10

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Confused about upgrading from Win 7 to 10

Tagged: 

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  b 2 months ago.

• Author

hmw3
      AskWoody Plus

I am not a computer electronics expert! And I am getting old. I have read all the dire warnings from Woody and Susan Bradley that I need to upgrade/replace my Windows 7 computer to Windows 10.

First, rather than post lots of individual questions, I put them all in this one. I hope that is OK.

My desktop PC tower was built for me in April 2014. Here are the basic specs:

• Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1.
      • Intel i5 processor. 3.2 GHz 6 MB
      • Samsung 250GB Solid State Drive
      • 1 Seagate 1TB SATA 3 hard drive
      • 1 Seagate 4TB SATA 3 hard drive
      • 1 DVD/CD ROM
      • Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3/GA-H87-HD3 Motherboard
      • 8 GB Memory (can be expanded to 32 GB)
      • Several USB 3.0 & 2.0 ports
      • I have an Ethernet network (also wireless), 1000 MBS fiber.

So I have been looking on the internet for commercial desktop Windows 10 computers to see how they are equipped, as compared to what I now have. Other than some having more RAM than I currently do, and USB 3.1 ports, some have an i5 processor (others have a 17) and no SSD-Just a conventional hard drive. So I hate to buy a completely new computer, if mine will do the job, since I have it and the two monitors set up just how I like them.

So I have several questions:

1. Is there something other than RAM memory that my computer is lacking that buying a new computer would solve? I really don’t care about the Digital pen that some have, Hello or Cortana features, and I doubt if my monitors have touch screen capabilities.
      2. I cannot determine if there is now a charge from Microsoft for this upgrade. Is there? I still have my original Windows 7 Pro disc. The prices on the Microsoft website are $139 for Windows 10 Home, and $199 for Pro. Several articles, including this one: https://www.techsupportall.com/upgrade-windows-7-to-windows-10-for-free-even-in-2018/ says it can still be downloaded free, even though the official offer ran out a couple of years ago.
      3. It is not clear that there are any features in the Pro version that I would use, and Pro requires a few features that I am not sure if I have.
      4. Are either of the Windows 10 versions available on DVD? I assume that the upgrade is a large file, and am always concerned about the ability of very large programs to download successfully. I notice that prices on Amazon are lower and come on a DVD, but that they only work for a ‘clean’ install, whereas I have Windows 7 and programs already installed.
      5. I have lots of programs and utilities installed on this computer. Is there some software that will tell me if any of what I have is NOT compatible with Windows 10, before I do the installation? I did a search, and could not find anything specific, other than the option of running Compatibility Mode.
      6. Do I have to move all my data elsewhere before I do the installation? I have the Macrium Reflect backup program.
      7. Will the Win 10 upgrade rearrange all my file/folder structure? I store lots of my programs and data in area other than the recommended ‘default’ locations. Since this is my primary computer, I don’t want to spend weeks reinstalling all my programs, data, etc.
      8. I have Microsoft Office 2007 Professional. Reading the info on the internet, there seems to be mixed signals regarding whether it will operate correctly with Windows 10. In your experience, will it?
      9. When Windows was upgraded in the past, each new version seemed to require much more disc space and memory than its predecessor just to function effectively. How does Version 10 Pro compare with Version 7 Pro in this regard? I can’t find any specifics. The only info I found says it needs about 32GB during the installation process. I have over 57GB free on my Solid State Drive, and over 10 times that on my 1 TB hard drive.

What else do I need to know but was not smart enough to ask?

Harry

• #1873508 Reply

Zig
      AskWoody Plus

1.  Go for it.  16 GB would be nice, but not required.

2.  Free upgrade still works.  You do not need to pay anything to transition to Windows 10.

3.  The only really important version of Pro is the ability to delay/defer updates, but you get Pro since you are upgrading from Windows 7 Pro.

4.  Everything works fine for the upgrade unless you are having severe Internet problems.

5.  Almost everything that will run on Windows 7 will run on Windows 10; little need for Compatibility Mode if the program ran okay on Windows 7.

6.  I ALWAYS recommend moving data to a different drive from that of my operating system.  Now would be an ideal time to do that.  No need to use Macrium Reflect (though a backup is always good to have), just move the data.

7.  Although I do not have firsthand experience in this matter, I believe that Windows 10 will not alter your other programs installed in non-default locations.

8.  Sorry, I do not know.

9.  You are perfectly fine to install Windows 10 with a free space you have; in the old days and upgrade acquired the size of your windows for older plus approximately 9 GB; I believe that number is now 7 GB, and after Windows 10 build 1903 your installation will reserve that much for the future.

First, clean your computer of any unwanted data, old backups, etc.  Then run a good scan with an anti-virus program and clean everything up with CCleaner. ,

Next, defrag at least your operating system drive.  Before the install, turn any non-Microsoft antivirus off .

Use your Macrium Reflect to make a complete copy of your operating system drive (presumably C:), and a copy of your (new) data drive will even give you more security.  For safety put them on an external backup drive, then just go ahead and download your new copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft.  Happy computing.

Zig

• #1873570 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

8. For clean install you need minimum 32GB of free space.
      If you upgrade you will have 14 days to revers back to Windows 7 (remember, upgrade will backup your W7 system to a Windows.old file. The size could be 20-40GB+).

• #1873572 Reply

CADesertRat
      AskWoody Plus

A couple months ago I upgraded an i5 and an i7 to W10 for free and they were “2013” vintage. All went well and smooth. I would say Go for it if you want to.

Zig suggested Defragging your OS drive but since it’s an SSD, I wouldn’t recommend that.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
      4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #1873660 Reply

Zig
      AskWoody Plus

“Zig suggested Defragging your OS drive but since it’s an SSD, I wouldn’t recommend that.”

Oops – sorry, he’s right. Just defrag your data drives (if you wish).

Zig

• #1873717 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

I just upgraded a Win 7 Pro system to Win 10 Pro yesterday for free. I think you should go for it after backing up your system.

If you want to download the whole installation file before starting the upgrade go to Download Windows 10. Be sure to follow the steps about creating installation media.

--Joe

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1875687 Reply

rc1299
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m confused on how to upgrade for free. This is from the link you provided to Download Windows 10:

• If you don’t have a license to install Windows 10 and have not yet previously upgraded to it, you can purchase a copy here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-windows-10.

• #1875748 Reply

b
          AskWoody Plus

If you have a license for Windows 7 you have a license to install (upgrade to) Windows 10 (in practice although no longer advertised).

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1903

• #1873724 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

response to OP’s question (no. 8) about Office 2007 and Windows 10: it works as long as you install Office 2007 Service Pack 3 and many of the post-SP3 security updates.

AH gosh darn it – Microsoft has removed the Office 2007 SP3 download from the MS download center. try to find office2007sp3-kb2526086-fullfile-en-us.exe through a Google search

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  EP.
      • #1873726 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

Um… Word of warning.
        Be careful of the integrity of the download source.

• #1875643 Reply

tonyl
        AskWoody Lounger

Er… the obvious place to download updates is the Update Catalog. Always use the original source if you can.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  tonyl. Reason: typo
    • #1874250 Reply

hmw3
      AskWoody Plus

Wow! So many good responses. And so quick. Thanks a lot.

Two items:

I ALWAYS recommend moving data to a different drive from that of my operating system. Now would be an ideal time to do that.

I understand your rationale, but I wanted both on an SSD drive, and at the time one SSD was all I could afford. So far, no issues.

response to OP’s question (no. 8) about Office 2007 and Windows 10: it works as long as you install Office 2007 Service Pack 3 and many of the post-SP3 security updates.

I installed SP3 on 4/22/2018. I ‘think’ I also have all of the security updates, but since I don’t have a list at hand, am not 100% sure. I try really hard to keep up with those.

I also have a Win 7 (64 bit) SP1 Pro Lenovo laptop, which is pretty slow on Windows 7. It contains almost all the same programs and utilities as my desktop. (My desktop is my workhorse computer. Probably use it 90% of the time) .So I think what I will do is buy a new Win 10 laptop, and do my Win 10 ‘learning’ on it. Then I can also sort out any issues without really affecting my computer usage. After that, I will follow your  suggestions and then install Win 10 on my desktop.

Now if I could just get this site to “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” (I check it every time), I would be happy.

Harry

• #1874270 Reply

PKCano
        Da Boss

On the right hand side, at the top of the first post, there is a Subscribe/Unsubscribe toggle. Click on “Subscribe” and it will send an email to the email address you signed up to AskWoody with. If you are subscribed and it gets too much, you can click on “Unsubscribe.”

• #1874343 Reply

Zig
      AskWoody Plus

“So I think what I will do is buy a new Win 10 laptop, and do my Win 10 ‘learning’ on it. Then I can also sort out any issues without really affecting my computer usage.”

You’re overthinking it. I tried installing Win 10 on 2 “junk” computers, but they were beyond repair, so I “bit the bullet” and everything went fine; very short learning curve. Unless, of course, you really WANTED that new laptop ( and couldn’t speed up the old one by adding more RAM ).

Zig

• #1874510 Reply

hmw3
      AskWoody Plus

PKCano:

On the right hand side, at the top of the first post, there is a Subscribe/Unsubscribe toggle. Click on “Subscribe” and it will send an email to the email address you signed up to AskWoody with.

I had never noticed that, but I did check the one at the bottom left last night, and today I got two Emails. So I must have not checked it correctly the first time. Now the one at the top right says ‘Unsubscribe’.

Harry

• #1874517 Reply

hmw3
      AskWoody Plus

Zig:

You’re overthinking it. I tried installing Win 10 on 2 “junk” computers, but they were beyond repair, so I “bit the bullet” and everything went fine; very short learning curve. Unless, of course, you really WANTED that new laptop…..

Now you really having me thinking/overthinking! No, I really don’t want to buy a new laptop. I bought this one when I traveled a lot, but now I only travel a couple of times/year, so having one that weights a pound or so less is not that important. I now use the laptop primarily as a ‘test’ computer. I have essentially all the programs on my laptop that I have on my desktop. Both are Win 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1. So when I want to try a new program, I put it on the laptop. If there is a problem, my main computer is not down.

Here is how it my Lenovo E430 laptop is equipped:

Intel i3 2.30 GHz processor. 4 GB Ram. 320GB hard drive (NOT SSD) with 136 GB free.  3TB hard drive on my network that I back up to. Several USB 3.0 & 2.0 ports. Microsoft’s website says this is sufficient for Win 10.

I like the idea that Win 10 as downloaded apparently leaves all the current programs and data as is. When I got my Win 7, Windows had a program named Easy Transfer that I used to transfer programs from my XP. But that apparently doesn’t exist anymore. I certainly don’t have the ambition to start from scratch installing programs if I don’t have to, so unless you see any red flags with my setup, I will plan to install Windows 10 on my current laptop. Also, EP noted that Office 2007 will only work with Win 10 if it is Office 2007 SP3, and the SP3 patch is no longer available. But I already have Office 2007 SP3 installed on the laptop as well as the desktop.

Since both computers have Win 7 Pro, apparently Win 10 Pro will be downloaded for no charge. In Win 7, there was a big difference between Home and Pro versions, so I got Pro. It appears for Win 10 the Home and Pro versions are not very different. Reading the requirements for the ‘extra’ features in Win 10 Pro, my computers probably are deficient in several areas. I will never use those features, but it sounds like that Windows places some restrictions on the user if the hardware is deficient for Pro.

I assume those shortcomings will not prevent the Pro version from being installed? Because I don’t really need those extra features that Pro brings, do you know if the free download process can be changed so that I get the Home edition?

Harry

• #1874602 Reply

CADesertRat
        AskWoody Plus

I assume those shortcomings will not prevent the Pro version from being installed? Because I don’t really need those extra features that Pro brings, do you know if the free download process can be changed so that I get the Home edition?

It will recognize the version you have and give you that version, in your case Pro.

Don't take yourself so seriously, no one else does 🙂
        4 Win 10 Pro currently 1809 (3 Desktops, 1 Laptop).

• #1874654 Reply

Zig
      AskWoody Plus

So, install Win 10 on the laptop first. Don’t worry about Home vs. Pro., just take what’s offered. You MIGHT consider upping your RAM to 8 GB if you are facile enough to do that on a laptop, but not essential (maybe that’s why you describe your laptop as “slow”). Should cost $40-$60 to go to 8GB or 16GB, but anything over 4GB would be an improvement.

Zig

• #1874689 Reply

hmw3
      AskWoody Plus

Zig:

You MIGHT consider upping your RAM to 8 GB if you are facile enough to do that on a laptop, but not essential (maybe that’s why you describe your laptop as “slow”). Should cost $40-$60 to go to 8GB or 16GB, but anything over 4GB would be an improvement.

About $40 go upgrade my Lenovo Thinkpad E430 to 8 GB. Looks fairly easy, per YouTube videos. So I think I will do that now.

Lenovo has lots of information on their website about this Windows 10 upgrade. They have tested Windows 10 with the E430. But there are several E430 software programs that also have to be upgraded.

The Lenovo instructions say to install Windows 10 Insider Preview Program first. Is there any need to do that? I assume that Insider Preview process does NOT allow me to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro without paying a fee.

Harry

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  hmw3.
      • #1875366 Reply

hmw3
        AskWoody Plus

zig:

You MIGHT consider upping your RAM to 8 GB if you are facile enough to do that on a laptop,

Just ordered a 4 GB memory card from Crucial.com. That will take my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E430 to 8 GB, which is the max that it is designed for. Only $21 for the card.

The laptop has a Intel i3 2350M processor, which runs at 2.30 GHz. My desktop has a Intel i5 4570 processor, which runs at 3.20 GHz. The desktop currently has 8 GB of memory. That can be expanded to either 16 GB or 32 GB. Crucial 8GB memory cards for this motherboard cost $41.

I searched the internet to try to get some quantification as how much better Win 10 (Pro in my case) would run if I expanded to either 16 GB or 32 GB. But all I got were generic ‘it depends’ answers.

So what would be your recommendation? The motherboard has 4 slots, and one is now filled. So I could expand to 16 GB now, and 32 GB later.

Harry

• #1875514 Reply

Zig
          AskWoody Plus

It depends on how often you multitask, i.e., run several things at once. I can’t guarantee you’d notice the difference, but adding a 2nd 8GB chip (preferably matched to the 1st one) could help your speed (dual channel).

Zig

• #1875620 Reply

joep517
          AskWoody MVP

Your desktop processor was released in 2013. By CPU standards that is ancient. You might want to start to consider a hardware refresh. RAM speeds are faster now. An SSD would make a noticeable difference if you are currently using an HDD. Internal bus speeds are faster.

Note, if the machine is performing OK now it should continue as long as your computing habits do not change. Just adding RAM may not make a noticeable difference. You should use Task Manager to monitor system performance and usage over a period of time before spending money on any upgrade.

--Joe

• #1874716 Reply

Zig
      AskWoody Plus

No need to install the Insider Preview Program (I’m not sure what the reasoning behind that suggestion was). Looks like 8GB is the max for your laptop, so go for it.

Zig

• #1874723 Reply

joep517
      AskWoody MVP

You do not install the Insider Program. You join the Insider Program so you can install Insider Preview builds.

--Joe

• #1875522 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

since I have it and the two monitors set up just how I like them

Then don’t upgrade.
      Make sure you have regular image backups, use an up to date AV and practice safe hex.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Confused about upgrading from Win 7 to 10

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.