News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Confusion about Replying

Posted on Chris Greaves Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge Confusion about Replying

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Chris Greaves
        AskWoody Plus

I have my AskWoody bookmark set to https://www.askwoody.com/forums/view/new-posts-last-visits/ so first thing this morning I click on my AskWoody bookmark and arrive on the New Posts page.  32 new posts. So far so good.

On page 2 of the 32 posts I see “It’s the end of the line for Office 2010”, and this is of interest to me, so I click on the link and am now here:-

(1) https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/its-the-end-of-the-line-for-office-2010/

Tracey Capen has a short post:-

PATCH WATCH By Susan Bradley Microsoft is closing the book on two business workhorses: Office 2010 and Exchange 2010. From a productivity-app perspective
        [See the full post at: It’s the end of the line for Office 2010]

This is still of interest to me, so I click on the link and am now here:-

(2) https://www.askwoody.com/2020/its-the-end-of-the-line-for-office-2010/

Susan Bradley’s post reads “Read the full story in AskWoody Plus Newsletter 17.41.0 (2020-10-19).

This is still of interest to me, so I click on the link and am now here:-

(3) https://www.askwoody.com/newsletter/activation-issues-after-a-win10-reinstall/

The head of the newsletter is a contents section, but ultimately I find a link and head to here:-

https://www.askwoody.com/newsletter/activation-issues-after-a-win10-reinstall/#patch-watch-0

I read the article.

Now I do have a valid comment on this topic. (I am still using Word2003/VBA to develop applications, so you can imagine that I have some logical points to make about “losing” 2020 versus maintaining my current productivity trajectory)

However, I turn away from AskWoody and do not start a dialogue because I have never been sure where/to whom I should respond.

I am sure that Susan will discuss issues with me, although there is no obvious “Reply” capability on the newsletter page (link 3)

There is no “Reply” capability on the short précis page (link 2)

Tracey will, I am sure, discuss issues with me, and there is a “Reply” capability on the page (link 1). I scan the top of the page and fathom that Tracey’s post is in the “AskWoody blog” forum, so if I had to bet on it, I would reply to Tracey, rather than to Susan (or Susan!)

Does Susan follow Tracey’s thread, or will Susan not see my comments about 2002 vs. 2010?

Then I see under Tracey’s atavar “Replies: 7” and for a moment I think that there is a fourth location possible, where I will find seven replies already lodged to Tracey’s post. But the replies are not on this page, underneath this post, where I would expect to see them.

Every page I have visited this morning since clicking on my AskWoody bookmark is formatted in the wood-grain layout, so I am all the time within the precinct of AskWoody, but the number of streets I must wander to read the source of text grows by the minute, and as a consequence, my confusion arises.

I strongly suspect that it is this confusion (starting with the early days “Where do I see replies to my post”) that inhibits my participation on AskWoody forums.

And yes, for some of you that might be a blessing !

Cheers

Chris

"Almost works" means it doesn’t work.

• #2305376 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

You cannot reply directly to Posts on the main page of the AskWoody blog. Replies are made in the “Lounge” (Forums) to a Topic that parallels the main blog post.

At the top of each main AskWoody blog, there is a link “Comment on the AskWoody Lounge” (Forums) – click on this to navigate to the discussion on the subject and enter Replies..

The same holds true for the newsletter articles. Click on the “Comment on the AskWoody Lounge” link at the top of the main blog page to navigate to the Forum discussion and enter a Reply.

The Lounge (Forum) structure can be accessed by clicking on the “Forums” button in the top menubar of each page.

Tracey Capen is the Editor of our Newsletter. As such, he posts the articles on the main blog and in the Newsletter archives. The individuals who actually wrote the articles respond to the Topics/Replies in the Lounge (Forums).

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Confusion about Replying

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.