News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Confusion: Two *Identical* Monitors>two different colors/looks

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware Questions: How to troubleshoot hardware problems Confusion: Two *Identical* Monitors>two different colors/looks

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Mike
        AskWoody Plus

Hi.

Had a Dell u2410m monitor then recently bought another same model, allowing me to extend my desktop.  So I hooked up both on a Windows 10 machine and went into shock.  I’m seeing what looks like 6500K on the older one and warmer 5300K on the newer. I did do a factory reset on both, so I’m assuming  they are both at default.

So which is correct and how would I know?

The reason I wonder is that the bluish 6500K one is the older monitor and maybe it’s bad…or going bad.  For instance, what should be white, looks blue/grey white (at least compared to the new monitor)

Things I’ve tried:  Factory reset on both; Made sure settings were the same; Used Windows multiple monitor setup; Used video card setup; Set same color profile; Used same Dell color profile…all which wouldn’t allow me to get even close.

Odd things I’ve found: Swapping cables and swapping outputs to the monitors the problem stays with the monitor. So regardless of the video card output, the older monitor is more bluish.   Using just a solid background and adjusting gamma, etc., I can get close, but looking at a white image on top of the background, it’s still different on each monitor.  Finally, looking at say a white word doc and raising the brightness clear to max on the older monitor and messing with the color channels is not even close and screws up everything else.

So, I guess I’m wondering if I simple have a bad older monitor?

Thanks all.  Mike

old left, new right, both teal solid background

• This topic was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Mike.
        Attachments:
      • #2265016 Reply
        MrJimPhelps
        AskWoody_MVP

My guess is that the older one has faded a bit, and so you aren’t going to be able to get them to match exactly. I think your best bet is to get them as close as you can to matching each other, and then put the better one in the preferred spot (i.e. left or right).

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
        with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
      • #2265047 Reply
        access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

Have you tried calibrating your monitors? I’m no expert on this but photographers do this so that the colours on the screen are a close match to their printer. Google ‘calibrate monitor for photography’, or just ‘calibrate monitor’ for more information.

• #2265262 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

It’s possible that Dell used a different LCD panel in the newer monitor.  Or, perhaps, the firmware has changed, and Dell’s selected a new white point by default, though the things you mentioned suggest that’s probably not it.  When you say that you made sure the settings were the same, did you see if there was a custom white point mode and try setting them both to that?  I would imagine you did, but just throwing it out there.

I know displays can change calibration over time, but I would not have thought it would be that big. Maybe that’s normal…?

It’s issues like that which led me to buy a X-rite ColorMunki Display colorimeter a few years ago. I had tried searching .icc profiles and downloading every one I could find and trying them to see if it “looked” right, but I never found one that was quite right– even the ones for the exact model of laptop with the same LCD panel I was using.  The OS-level gamma controls for R, G, B weren’t enough (I need gamma, brightness, contrast for each color), and that level of granularity was only available for the nVidia discrete GPU. I wanted something that would work with my G3 regardless of whether I was using the integrated Intel GPU or the discrete nVidia one, and by using the colorimeter, I can get it however I want it, any white point and gamma I want, measured on the actual monitor, not what the computer is outputting.

The ColorMunki Display is out of production now, but there are other colorimeters available.  Predictably, the X-rite page for the ColorMunki Display lists only Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS support. I’ve never used it in any of those, but it works quite nicely with Linux (as do most things that don’t mention Linux support) using the DisplayCal software that is in the Ubuntu repo.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.18.5).

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Confusion: Two *Identical* Monitors>two different colors/looks

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.