News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Connecting a printer to a router

Posted on bene0404z Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration Connecting a printer to a router

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Author
        bene0404z
        AskWoody Lounger

I have an HP DJ 6940 that has no difficulty talking to my Windows 10 PC.  I recently ordered Internet Service from Spectrum.  The Spectrum-supplied wifi router has a USB port that I would like to use to connect my 6940 printer so that it can be used wirelessly by other computers.  I have been unable to get this connection to work, or even for the USB-connected-to-router printer to be found by Windows 10.

Any suggestions?
        Thanks, DS

• #2313283 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

There are instructions here.

There is other help by Googling “how to connect printer to Router USB port”

• #2313288 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Can you tell us the model of the router. It may not support printing – some only have USB for servicing.

cheers, Paul

• #2313304 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

router. It may not support printing – some only have USB for servicing.

This.

Also, not all USB printers are compatible with all USB printing enabled routers, I remember running into a couple of weird cases…

The HP Deskjet 6940 should do network printing via wired network, so connecting that to the router/AP may be sufficient for wireless printing from other systems in that network. That’s how I’ve configured my Epson printer at least. (Mine does have a wifi too… in ad-hoc mode if on at all, so visitors can print without automatically getting elsewhere in the house network.)

• #2313453 Reply
        Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

You could try out Printershare

Share your printer with anyone you want
        Print from any application
        No need to send emails with attachments
        Fast and secure
        Easy installation
        FREE!

No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created IT - AE
      • #2313495 Reply
        anonymous

And here I thought those solitary USB ports on the back of routers were either for a firmware update or NAS (Network Attached Storage), depending on the make and model of the router.

If it’s for NAS, I wold think that NAS uses ports/protocols not used by printers, so attaching the printer to the USB port simply won’t work, This could be why you say that Windows 10 can;t find your printer on the network.

Personally, I much prefer the suggestion just above in post #2313304. If your printer has a wired network connection port on it (an Ethernet port), them simply connect the printer to one of the same ports on the back of the router. To make things work seamlessly, you’ll need to install a copy of the printer drivers on each machine that you want to use the printer with. Once that’s done, however, you’ll be on easy street as then all you need to do is to make that printer the default printer for each computer/tablet you wish to use that printer with.

• #2313499 Reply
          PKCano
          Da Boss

It works really well with an Ethernet cable if you assign a static IP address to the printer instead of using DHCP. That way it has the same address all the time.

• #2313547 Reply
            mn–
            AskWoody Lounger

… or if the printer asks gives a host ID when asking for address, and the router registers that name in its mostly-proxy internal DNS service so within the (W)LAN you can go by name.

That’s what my router does by default, don’t know how common it is.

(Also I’ve set the router’s DHCP server component to always assign the same IP to the printer’s MAC address, but that’s not a default setting.)

• #2313662 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

I never manually assign the printer IP. I use the DNS name, as shown on my router, in the printer setup.

cheers, Paul

• #2313970 Reply
        anonymous

If the printer has wifi, disable it and leave it disabled, the last thing you need are wifi direct solicitations from a printer to every device in range while your router is broadcasting.  Much better to have the router own all the wifi in your home.  Printers can be really onerous at times.

I have a new EPSON 7100 that I set up with its wifi enabled and it spammed every device in our home network, loaded tons of software on everything, including EPSON’s ink store, then froze.  Yeah, that junk was all uninstalled, wifi disabled and an ethernet cable connected with only the printer driver on each device.  The HP 4000 we used prior only had usb, needed printer firmware installed on our router and never stayed connected for long.  Newer printers definitely connect more easily.

USB works well for connecting peripheral devices if the proper driver is installed.  My router also has to be configured with disk firmware to drive a usb disk, for example.  Use ethernet if at all possible, it’s very reliable, doesn’t have wifi’s security issues and likely will just plug and play.  Don’t be surprised if the port light stays amber, printers often operate at lower data rates than gigabit and the non-white color just indicates that.

Viewing 6 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Connecting a printer to a router

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.