News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • connecting USB HD to router or to WD MyCloud?

Posted on larry_d Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration connecting USB HD to router or to WD MyCloud?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by

Berton 3 months ago.

• Author

larry_d
      AskWoody Plus

I have a WD Cloud connected to Router via Ethernet and 4 home computers on same Router via a bridge.  I want to add a USB WD MyBook to network.  Which would be advisable, easiest and give most versatility to use with all 4 computers?  Attach USB WD MyBook directly to USB port on Router?  or directly to USB port on MyCloud?  Thanks,……larry

• #667510 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

I believe you’d be best to connect directly to the router if the router has a USB port.
      I’m assuming here that what you have is a NAS drive and not just an USB external hard drive

• #671410 Reply

RetiredGeek
      AskWoody MVP

Larry,

I’d connect the my book to the my cloud usb port. It’s designed to allow you to do that and then you can manage both drives with the my book interface so you don’t have to learn another piece of software. The only reason I can see to connect to the writer’s sub port would be if different users needed to use different drives and speed was an issue. You’d get more throughput that way I believe.

HTH 😎

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!
      Computer Specs

• #754924 Reply

Berton
      AskWoody_MVP

I have 2 My Cloud NAS drives connected by Ethernet cable to the Wireless Router and any computer I Map to the Public Folder on them can access the files in them.

Before you wonder "Am I doing things right," ask "Am I doing the right things?"

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: connecting USB HD to router or to WD MyCloud?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.