News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Connectivity Issues WITH Sound Problems

Posted on Nibbled To Death By Ducks Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration Connectivity Issues WITH Sound Problems

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Author

Before I go any farther, I’d like to say I’ve posted this several times, and it goes away after 15 minutes! If there’s something wrong, would a moderator email me?

———————————–

Am having the Devil’s own time with the machine ever since I updated to the latest Firefox; yes, the product has gone downhill ever since the layoffs, but these issues are totally bizarre:

1. Trouble connecting to the Internet: The system used to have a bit of trouble getting connected, took about 50 seconds after coming out of sleep, but it never gave me this amount of grief! Now, at odd times and completely unpredictably, when resuming from sleep or booting up, the system will either a) fail to connect completely or connect after a minute, or B) connect after a minutes-long struggle, but cannot identify Homegroup, or C) connect like it should and indentify Homegroup properly, or D) returns the message, “Problem with wireless adapter or access point.”

How’s that for consistency?

2. For no apparent reason, completely at random, the system sound service just STOPS.

Tried:

Powershell sfc, found nothing corrupted or out of order

Network troubleshooter (when this happens) ” Troubleshooting can’t find the problem.”

Ran full virus scan with MSE

Ran Malware scan with Malwarebytes

Ran the sound troubleshooter, which helpfully said that “The sound system isn’t running. Would you like to turn it on?” <grrrr. YES!>

Tried several System Restores, none of which fixed anything. I even got some Restore Failures!

This mess started a few days after a Firefox crash, but just got worse as time went on. FF doesn’t have to be running for any of the above to happen, though… Interestingly enough, a FF icon appeared once in the Volume Mixer Box, which I thought was weird, then it just disappeared, leaving nothing but a blank space.

Router/Gateway is a Sagecom Fast 5260, modem is an Arris FM 1602, both owned by the ISP.

I am at my diagnostic and wit’s end. [If I get enough connectivity] Any ideas?

2020-10-09-16_56_35-Network-and-Sharing-Center-1
        2020-10-09-19_36_10-Network-and-Sharing-Center-2-2
        volume-mixer-dialog-box-1

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit ESU, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Patch List", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't auto-check for updates-Full Manual Mode." Linux Mint Greenhorn
        --
        "A committee is the only known form of life that has at least four legs and no brain."

-Robert Heinlein

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2303012 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Sometimes the spam filter catches posts. If that happens just wait and it will return.

cheers, Paul

• #2303013 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

That doesn’t look like a Firefox issue – it’s not responsible for sound or network connections.

The crash may have corrupted Windows – it may have been a hardware issue associated with the sound card.

Backup / image, then run these commands in an Administrator Command Prompt.
        sfc /scannow
        dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If you get any errors let us know.

cheers, Paul

• #2303023 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

Have you tried to connect with wire or only wirelessly ?
        Can you post Ethernet networks screenshot ?
        Do you run an A/V software, e.g Kaspersky, that creates virtual networks ?

Attachments:
      • #2303147 Reply

Thanks to all, and a few new behaviors, and some questions:

1. A clean, power-off with a 30-second wait then a clean reboot seems to get connectivity right away, though the “identifying” spinners keep whacking away until, after 10 minutes or so, the “Home” icons appear. Router issues? I hear Sagemcon is awful.

2. Paul: I use Macrium Reflect Free for backup. Already ran sfc from Powershell…thought that was automatically Admin…and what is dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth? What does it do?

3: Alex: Wireless only, use only MSE, nothing virtual.

And the sound keeps conking at random. And there WAS a FF logo in that blank space in the mixer dialog box where you only see white now.

I HATE intermittent issues… 🙁   …especially since this my only machine!

Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit ESU, Dell Latitude E6330, Intel CORE i5 "Ivy Bridge", Group "Patch List", Multiple Air-Gapped backup drives in different locations, "Don't auto-check for updates-Full Manual Mode." Linux Mint Greenhorn
        --
        "A committee is the only known form of life that has at least four legs and no brain."

-Robert Heinlein

Attachments:
      • #2303211 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

A clean, power-off with a 30-second wait then a clean reboot seems to get connectivity

Makes it sound like a hardware issue.

what is dism

That is the “other” Windows clean up tool provided by MS. I have never seen anything but good come from a successful run.

A Command Prompt / Powershell window default is “standard user”. You need to right click and select “run as admin”.

Routers have nothing to do with sound, discount that for now.

cheers, Paul

• #2303220 Reply

OK, will run sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth tomorrow as Admin. Understand the sound issue may be coincidental or two separate problems…but I DID see a FF icon in that blank space in the Mixer dialog where now is nothing. I swear I don’t drink!

Status tonight is a normal, straight and continuous connection, but two sound crashes where the sound system quit running.

I know routers have nothing to do with sound; I built my last three PC’s in the 90’s and early 2000’s, then had a shop build a workstation to my specs in 2008 (in storage)…now all I have on hand is this laptop. I’m fairly knowledgeable THIS side of the firewall, but when you get to Networking, it all goes gray and foggy, and always has. I think I have a block on the subject. ;/

Long delays getting back to you are due to health issues- getting old ain’t for sissies! 🙂

Wish I had a program/routine/tool that “restored health”  🙂

Thanks for all your help!

--

-Robert Heinlein

• #2303448 Reply

“That is the “other” Windows clean up tool provided by MS. I have never seen anything but good come from a successful run.”

Well, here’s a fine kettle of…fish!

Attached please find three screen dumps of my journey through trying to get dsm. exe to run. Either I’m doing something horribly wrong, this win 7 version is weird, or I’m crazy.

No problem running sfc, but you can see I’ve used every switch in the book, and I cannot get dsm to run.

I am not a command line genius, but as you can see, I HAVE tried.

--

-Robert Heinlein

Attachments:
      • #2303454 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Are you running in an admin Command Prompt?

Try this command instead: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

cheers, Paul

• #2303706 Reply

Are you running in an admin Command Prompt?

Yes, Paul, as you can see from my previous screen dumps, I am.

Attached please find another screen dump, which shows the same error, even though I put in exactly what you said.

The routine just does not recognize the syntax, which I HAD it spell out, see previous screen dumps Simple dism should work, but it does not.

BTW, it does NOT run with a simple “DISM”. dism.exe yes, but not dism.

NTDBD-addendum to Paul-when running dism.exe it does not recognize anything past “/online”-please see syntax attached.

--

-Robert Heinlein

Attachments:
      • #2303464 Reply
        Zaphyrus
        AskWoody Lounger

It will sound silly but have you tried updating or reinstalling your drivers?

to me it sounds like you have a machine that have every card attached to the motherboard and something is not going well.

Just someone who don't want Windows to mess with its computer.
      • #2303818 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Can you post the DISM log?

cheers, Paul

• #2303954 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Nibbler (you may be getting older, but you aint totally nibbled. yet.):
        A coupla syntactical problems here. Let’s tackle them:

1 – Paul T {@2303013}, wrote: “Backup / image, … ”
        This was his shorthand notation instruction to do a system backup, or to make an image copy.

2 – You are on Win 7, the details of the DISM that he gave are only on later Windows.
        Specifically, these are not available to you: ‘restorehealth’, and ‘checkhealth’.
        On my Win 7 I just did a [ dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth ]. It ran a little over 10 minutes. (And was clean.)

How did I get to this? I followed the dism helps given, extending a step at a time thus:
        dism /?
        dism /online /? — note that /cleanup-image is near the bottom of the list
        dism /online /cleanup-image /? — note that scanhealth is the ONLY option available
        Thus, the full *Win 7* query is: dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

(Hah! In creating this Woody Reply I inadvertently reissued the full dism+string command. This time it ran much more quickly – 2 minutes. So something must have been cached; neat-o.)

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2304633 Reply

OK, guys, finally it ran with the right syntax. Results per checksur.log:

=================================
        Checking System Update Readiness.
        Binary Version 6.1.7601.24499
        2020-10-15 19:31

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
        Seconds executed: 755
        No errors detected
        (w) Unable to open Event Log 0x000006BA Application OpenEventLog failed: 0x000006BA – The RPC server is unavailable.
        (w) Unable to open Event Log 0x000006BA System OpenEventLog failed: 0x000006BA – The RPC server is unavailable.

======================================

Earlier, ran  scandisk, and it did find some issues, but I think it must have cured them, as running it a second time.

Will reboot and see if the problems persist.

Am somewhat troubled that dism didn’t find anything to fix. <sigh>

--

-Robert Heinlein

Attachments:
      • #2304643 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I’d be concerned that it can’t write to the event log.
        You definitely have an issue with that system and a rebuild may be on the cards.

cheers, Paul

• #2304648 Reply
        PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

1 – In Explorer, RIGHT-click on Computer (NOT on C:)
        2 – Click on Manage; on the UAC query, click Yes
        3 – Expand Services and Applications
        4 – Click on Services. Scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
        5 – What is its status – is it Started?
        RPC

Attachments:
        1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2305018 Reply

Paul K: Yes, it’s started.

--

-Robert Heinlein

Viewing 14 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Connectivity Issues WITH Sound Problems

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.