News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Considering 0patch paid

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Considering 0patch paid

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Endora
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve had the ESU for this past year but given the price increase, I am considering switching to the paid version of 0patch on my desktop instead of renewing. I’ve already put 0patch on other computers we have here: 2 laptops have the paid version, 1 has the free version, and a desktop has been running both free version and ESU. Has anyone who’s chosen to use opatch paid exclusively run into any issues? I really like how simple it is to use and requires nothing for me to do re win updates. I don’t currently have any plans to move on to Win 10. Any commentary would be appreciated. Thank you.

snissen
        AskWoody Plus

I still have one Windows 7 computer at home, on which I’ve been running the Pro (paid) version of 0patch for almost a year. I’ve had no problems and no known compromises. I’m intrigued by their approach to patching, memory-based instead of disk-based. (A little like the old AppCompat shims.)

I have only one tiny quibble with 0patch. As you might imagine, an old Windows 7 computer can be slow to startup, especially in its network connection. 0patch is a little impatient at startup, and starts displaying about its inability to sync long before my network connection is “set up”. But once the network connection starts working, 0patch connects to its server, checks for new patches, and downloads and applies any it finds, all in the background with no fuss.

It has never needed any administration or tweaking–it just works and seems to run “lightly” on my system. For those more technically inclined, its on-screen reports allow you to find out what is happening behind the scenes, and you can enable (or disable) the few notifications. In those reports, I can see 3rd party applications being patched too, some I would have never thought to check.

I had upgraded Office on this Windows 7 computer from Office 2010 to 2013, anticipating end of support for Office 2010. I wish I’d trusted 0patch on this: they added Office 2010 support and I needn’t have upgraded.

I have nothing but praise for 0patch for Windows 7, especially at home.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        debu
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve been using the paid version along with Sandboxie on a Win7 Pro machine for nearly a year now with no issues whatsoever.

Agree with snissen above and have nothing but praise for 0patch.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Considering 0patch paid

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

?
This website collects data via Google Analytics. Click here to opt in. Click here to opt out.