Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Continuing issues with Windows 10 April updates

Posted on BlueIris Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Continuing issues with Windows 10 April updates

This topic contains 27 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

BlueIris
      AskWoody Lounger

I just heard about the issues with the Windows 10 October updates.  Luckily, my HP laptop hasn’t downloaded that one because it is still experiencing difficulties with the April updates.  I still get the BSOD periodically and at least three times after yet another update get to the point where I can’t get to the desktop at all (for example after one on 9/27) and have to reinstall Windows 10 using the Media Creator — losing everything, of course.  After that, strangely, I can then install all updates (including the one that caused the unending BSOD) and run fine — until I’ve reinstalled all of my programs and then I start getting them again periodically and the whole cycle starts over again.  I’ve done everything that I can think of and find regarding the specific error mentioned — page fault in nonpaged area — checked for hardware issues, updated drivers three times, called MS 10 times, and had it in to the MS store near me twice.  Nothing works.  The best guess that people hint at (one of the MS techs at the store, in particular) is that it’s related to the fact that the machine had Windows 8 on it originally, then I upgraded to 10 — but no one seems to know what to do about it.  I keep hoping that an update will fix it, but it sure isn’t sounding good.  Any ideas, anyone??

• #223011 Reply

EP
      AskWoody Lounger

what kind of HP laptop are you using?

run either msinfo32.exe or dxdiag.exe to gather the make & model of the HP laptop

• #223014 Reply

BlueIris
        AskWoody Lounger

I have it written down, so I don’t have to look it up — it’s a 2015 HP 15-ac061nr

• #223343 Reply

anonymous

This is your model’s specifications?

As you did not specify, did you get the newest Windows 10 drivers from HP? I cannot positively advise “You may need some newer drivers from Intel.”, but some of those listed are pretty old and Intel may have some generic updates for the newer Windows 10 releases. If you are using Microsoft’s driver it’s updates may not be good for you.

• #223875 Reply

BlueIris
            AskWoody Lounger

Forgot to sign in when I posted my reply — Anonymous’ comment regarding drivers is mine.  🙂  I’ll check HPs later today.  Thanks!

• #223889 Reply

anonymous

Okay I hope HP’s driver are better for your computing experience. O&O Shutup 10 has a setting to stop driver updates. You might get them anyway, so the better prevention would be to hide all the Microsoft offered drivers with the official WuShowHide diagnostic tool. Woody’s instructions for using the tool.

• #224181 Reply

BlueIris
              AskWoody Lounger

Unfortunately, the HP driver updates didn’t change things.  I downloaded and installed them all, except for the hard drive ones — mine’s a WDC, not Hitachi, etc. — including the BiOS one.  There was one driver that refused to update, saying that the installed one was newer — HP Wireless Button driver.  I told it to roll back and then tried to reapply the HP Web site driver, but it still said that the installed one was newer and I couldn’t roll it back a second time.  I did the updates yesterday afternoon and I got the BSOD today — the first one before I pressed Enter to login at the lock screen and a second — after it restarted — after I pressed Enter and logged in; after that one, I could log in fine and got to the desktop.  The thing that always amazes me is how erratic it is — after the initial driver update, I shut down and restarted three times without error!  Until this morning when I got two at different times and then could get in.

• #224243 Reply

anonymous

Has anybody told you to check your RAM to make sure it is okay before proceeding to the next steps below?

Microsoft maybe at fault, what are the version of windows are you using & last applied Microsoft updates? I say that because of a similar experience after six months of using Windows 10 fine, then getting video driver crashes which were caused by something Microsoft had changed in their OS. I had to find the right new video driver.

Intel (CPU/chipset maker) provides generic drivers that work for operating systems. If your CPU has built-in video Intel may have a new compatible driver.

You can find out the exact CPU model by pressing WIN+R when at the desktop and typing msinfo32.exe, at intel.com find the support section or search for your CPU model. You should be able to find a list of newer drivers for all the Intel related hardware.

• #224262 Reply

BlueIris
              AskWoody Lounger

I’ll try to address everything, but I’ll have to scroll up periodically to make sure of that.  The memory checks have all been fine.  It’s Windows 10 and the last update was the 10/9 one applied on 10/9 — KB4462919.  After I read your message, I contacted the video driver supplier to see if it’s the appropriate driver, but haven’t heard back.  It’s an Intel Pentium 3825U.  When I search at the intel.com site, all I can find are diagnostic tools, not drivers:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86348/Intel-Pentium-Processor-3825U-2M-Cache-1-90-GHz-

• #224815 Reply

anonymous

(Okay big gripe, Intel should be setting a standard of better product support!)

So HP’s graphics driver for Intel HD Graphics (code name Broadwell) for Windows 10 v1709 Softpaq is the newest driver, because the Pentium 3825U last graphics driver that Intel supported was dated 1/25/2017 (25/1/2017) for Windows 7 & 8.x. (It says there is a newer driver for Windows 7/8.x but your CPU is not listed in the supported models, human error?)

What does the Intel driver identification tool tell you is best for your computer?

• #225188 Reply

BlueIris
              AskWoody Lounger

Sorry, today — and before I could check out your Intel page — I must have gotten hit with the bad driver update that Woody wrote about:  https://www.computerworld.com/article/3313322/microsoft-windows/a-second-bad-driver-this-one-for-audio-gets-pushed-out-by-windows-update-protect-yourself.html?idg_eid=be324c597c78d13e087a4dc35a493839&email_SHA1_lc=2ea348e815bf587b37ba09f8f7c40a562a0913d8&cid=cw_nlt_computerworld_dailynews_2018-10-16&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Computerworld%20First%20Look%202018-10-16&utm_term=computerworld_dailynews

Regardless, after three starts yesterday without error, all I got today was error after error, although it was not the W one referenced by Woody — I got my usual Page Fault errors.  I could not get to the desktop at all.  So… my usual scenario of I’m OK for a while, just with an occasional error, then whap!  The only good part was that Woody’s page referenced a page that indicated how to use the media install to repair what was happening — NONE of the MS techs who helped me used that aspect of it — they only used it to wipe the drive and do a reinstall.  So, instead of a total reinstall, I’m back to 10/11 at the moment.  However, my big issue after the restore to 10/11 is that my antivirus is declaring that it has a problem, wants me to update my virus signatures, but then freezes during the install.  I also tried an uninstall, but that froze also and didn’t take.  In the past, they’ve been helpful and competent with their phone support, so I’ll call them when I have a chance.

• #224183 Reply

BlueIris
            AskWoody Lounger

In my previous reply, I forgot to ask what you meant by the Intel references?  Would there be another location to check for driver updates?

• #224253 Reply

BobbyB
              AskWoody Lounger

@blueiris check this page out, not just the Utility but there’s loads of other options in the drop down menus on the other pages, its a very good source got me out of a “pickle” with deficiencies with M$ and OEM Drivers many times: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

1 user thanked author for this post.
            • #225742 Reply

BlueIris
              AskWoody Lounger

Just got back to working on this — had some paid work issues to deal with.  Thanks for the Intel driver ID tool link — I had keyed “driver identification tool” in the search bar, but that didn’t come up with anything.  Downloading it now…  🙂

• #225890 Reply

BlueIris
              AskWoody Lounger

I tried to attach the Intel Driver and Support Assistant’s report — I printed it to a .pdf file — but it was too large.  It doesn’t indicate what driver is “best” or even identify the driver, but did report that “Your Intel software is up to date.”  Per the Device Manager, the driver is 10.0.17134.1 and dated 4/21/09.  I couldn’t find that on the HP support page for my laptop.

As you mentioned, the Intel HD Graphics driver checks out, both on the Intel report and it’s 20.19.15.4835, which is on the list of those on the HP support page for my laptop.  The other graphics device is the LapLink one.  I had contacted them with the driver information from the Device Manager, but they didn’t reply to that — just sent me a link to an uninstall and told me to try it without their software and see if the problem still occurs.

• #225903 Reply

BobbyB
              AskWoody Lounger

@blueiris is this what your looking for?? https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-ac000-notebook-pc-series/7771404/model/8542666 15-ac061nr fairly similar to mine, yeah its hard to find they keep trying to get you to sign up for an account luckily I have mine linked already rather than through all that account nonsense hope that works for ya.

• #225907 Reply

BlueIris
              AskWoody Lounger

That’s the HP support page that I was referring to, yes.  I gave up and signed up for a support login — it’s helpful when I need to contact HP for support.  Apparently, the only way to get phone support these days is to login first and ask for a call.  They aren’t much help, but occasionally I need them.

You’ll note on that page that under the Driver Chipset — which I assume is the relevant section for the Pentium 3825U that I have — none of them is dated 4/21/09 and I downloaded and installed everything in that section.

I was just about to reply Anonymous above that it’s possible that it is the Laplink video driver.  I used the tool that they provided a link for — a MS one for things that you’re having problems uninstalling.  Once I uninstalled Laplink with that, I got the Page Fault error once while it was rebooting after the uninstall, but haven’t gotten one since — and I’ve restarted 6 times before I moved on to some other stuff I have to do.  Usually, 3 is the max that I can restart without an error.  I will continue to restart it periodically and monitor it and I also provided feedback to Laplink on the progress so far.

• #225909 Reply

BlueIris
              AskWoody Lounger

It’s possible that it is the Laplink video driver.  I used the tool that they provided a link for — a MS one for things that you’re having problems uninstalling.  Once I uninstalled Laplink with that, I got the Page Fault error once while it was rebooting after the uninstall, but haven’t gotten one since — and I’ve restarted 6 times before I moved on to some other stuff I have to do.  Usually, 3 is the max that I can restart without an error.  I will continue to restart it periodically and monitor it and I also provided feedback to Laplink on the progress so far.

• #226056 Reply

BlueIris
              AskWoody Lounger

Well, if the Laplink driver’s involved, that’s not the whole story….  Yesterday, I restarted 6 times without a problem, which is a new record since the April updates.  However, today, I started once fine, but then had a string of Page Fault errors and recovery screens — 10 errors and three recovery screens.  I did want to get in to see if there had been any Windows updates, but no updates of any kind since 10/9, when it apparently did KB4462930, KB4462919, and KB890830.  Remember, I restored to 10/11 previously.

• #227571 Reply

anonymous

Sorry the absenteeism… Let’s start from here, have you used the HP diagnostic tools to run a complete system test?

• #223806 Reply

anonymous

I usually just right-click the device, then tell Windows to find the best driver.  Over time (since the April updates were applied), it has updated at least 6 or so.  I’ll try going to HP and see what happens.

• #223917 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

@blueiris I have an HP 15-ac018ca identical in almost every respect except you have 4GB’s more memory than I and there seems a lot of commonality in the “SoftPaq’s” used in fact in 99% of the cases from what I can see its the same “SP” number, there’s a couple of tricks you can use with HP for drivers, run 7Zip on the “SoftPaq” and run the setup.exe etc from inside the new folder, I find that works best for installing Drivers and doesent create the SWsetup file on your C:\drive, thereby making sure the drivers installed, and that’s all the SWsetup file does is keep a record of the driver install, often problems can be resolved by using the Setup.exe from that folder, I don’t use HP updates assistant, but I would imagine it does the same.
      The Battery spontaneously and without warning “gave up the Ghost” about a year ago without any warning signs of failing Battery health and I am fairly fastidious in maintaining Battery health as it is my constant travelling companion. Never got to the bottom of that why? but a new Battery was $35-40 maybe $50 I think surprisingly not much.

Well That’s the easy less troubling stuff or minor niggles out of the way, I would advise getting hold of a few Disk checker utilities and check the health of your HDD, should be a SMART drive, so get one to check the Drive logs for sure there’s lots of free reputable ones, take your time looking for some commonality in the results, i.e. try a few. I have a sneaking suspicion the your HDD has, or is going belly up alas. Mine did on the same brand of Laptop, its now using a Samsung 850 SSD works like a champ and its not hard to replace. Same symptoms went a few reboots maybe 10-15 before BSOD’ing sporadically on a regular basis. Worth checking out before committing to “cracking cases” and heading off to the store/repair shop or grabbing a new HDD/SSD. I sincerely hope not but its like “Deja Vu” reading your post alas. 🙁

• #223922 Reply

BlueIris
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m already in the midst of downloading the driver updates using the HP Download and Install Assistant (I’m currently on another computer), but I’ll keep in mind what you say about 7Zip for another time.

My battery also developed issues last March!  When it would get down to 30% or so, it would also suddenly quit with no warning.  I have the extended support/maintenance because I use it for work, so I worked with HP on it, then sent it in for a replacement battery.  It worked fine for a while, but now seems to have developed the same issue all over again.  I’m preoccupied with getting rid of the Page Fault issue, but then I’ll have to take up the battery issue again!

I’ve checked out the hard drive using both chkdsk and HP’s disk checker and it always comes up OK, as did the memory check, etc.  That’s one thing that several of the MS support call persons did check and I ran them a couple of times myself.  I forgot to mention that the original problem was that the April updates could not be applied at all — it would fail.  So, that’s what started me with the MS support — because they will help you with Update issues.  While getting it to accept the April updates, the Page Fault issue arose.

• #223929 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

My battery also developed issues last March! When it would get down to 30% or so, it would also suddenly quit with no warning

Bingo! sounds like it was the same fault here, thinking back a bit it did have a day or two at about the 30% level but I put that down to normal use, as for the HDD glad its not that then, the disk surface check on mine actually recorded a “gouge/scratch” in the disk and the reserve Sectors in the SMART drive log were actually all used up (yeah they actually do ship HDD’s with some known faults from the Factory that was an eye opener for me) No problem I thought I will partition round that, which is what I did in the interim, worked in the “old days;” This time not long term unfortunately.
      Alas when the pointers “touch” the HDD they inevitably dislodge the coating and that floats around in the HDD enclosure making for some intriguing, apparently, mobile bad sector reports. As it is a travelling companion I can only conclude at some point it may have had some “rough handling.” Well I am glad your happy on that score and I haven’t wasted your time or destroyed you focus on the real issue at hand, but worth bearing in mind for the future.

• #223930 Reply

BlueIris
        AskWoody Lounger

If I ever resolve the battery issue, I’ll return and post what solved it.  At least as I recall last March, they indicated that they weren’t sure if it was the battery itself or something associated with the battery.  So, since it worked fine for two years without issues, but then developed battery issues and now again with a brand new battery, it might be the other thing that they were suspecting.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #223936 Reply

BobbyB
          AskWoody Lounger

Thx would appreciate that 🙂 galling to think really as I only went with HP 2015 as I have a Compaq (HP) Presario M2000 sat in the corner at home of 2001 vintage, battery still good 1.5-2.00 hrs same as it ever was and HDD 40GB good as ever, its wayward days only ended (14 years) after I made the mistake of putting it with Airline checked baggage, well wrapped, but a mistake however and cracked the screen but it lives on still with an external monitor.

• #224250 Reply

Ascaris
            AskWoody MVP

I have one of those too, and it still works nicely.  It currently runs Mint Xfce 32-bit (and has XP as a dual-boot option, but I would not use that for anything that required internet access).

Group L (Linux): KDE Neon User Edition 5.14.3 (based on Ubuntu 18.04) + Windows 7 in Virtualbox VM

• #224251 Reply

BobbyB
              AskWoody Lounger

@ascaris thanks for that tip I was wondering were to go after Win7x86 EOL with my old “travelling companion” Mint Xfce 32-bit sounds just the ticket, It has an aversion to Ubuntu as its got Raedon (ATI) xpress200m graphics card, even Win7 needs a “driver Modder” to get crystal clear clarity on the external display. I shall bear that in mind thx again 🙂

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Continuing issues with Windows 10 April updates

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.