News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Controlling Win10’s sometimes hyperactive security apps

Posted on Will Fastie Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody blog Controlling Win10’s sometimes hyperactive security apps

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Will Fastie
        Da Boss

LANGALIST Controlling Win10’s sometimes hyperactive security apps By Fred Langa Win10’s built-in security tools offer excellent protection but can be
        [See the full post at: Controlling Win10’s sometimes hyperactive security apps]

3 users thanked author for this post.
        amybabinchak
        AskWoody_MVP

Hello Fred, I would suggest that daily scanning just adds to the intrusiveness of anti-virus software. Real-time scanning and good security settings on the device are the way that I recommend people go. It’s no longer the case that security software sits there until you ask it to do something, nor it is the case that real-time scanning causes computers to slow down much. Yes, there’s a bit of overhead but the added security of watching all things come and go is well worth the trade-off. If you want to do a scan, do it weekly and out of normal computer use hours.

Regarding the readers complaint that updates to defender are too frequent, well that’s the world we live in. IF you are using some other product that doesn’t update definitions as frequently then you ought to be concerned. You can reduce the number of informational notifications that you get from defender. Launch defender, navigate to Virus and Threat Protection, scroll to the bottom of the page, under notifications, click Change notification settings, Under the virus & threat protection notifications uncheck any that you don’t want to receive. For my unchecking Recent activity and scan results is sufficient.

WSBoog
        AskWoody Plus

I have been using Winaero on my laptop and PC for couple months now. Without any glitches so far. It simply turns off updates until I read that one should update; ie it is VERY safe to do so. Being constantly inundated by patches etc is just not right. Any body else turn them off? Our IP guys where I worked only let out patches and updates when (they were paranoid) they felt completely comfortable with them…Tested them on stand alones etc. I’m running Win 10 Home, and do very well NOT dealing with constant watching the little balls circling, circling, circling….

georgea
        AskWoody Lounger

Windows Defender nags you if “cloud-delivered protection” or “automatic sample submission” are turned off; the tray icon goes yellow, essentially a false alarm if you want these off.

This GP edit keeps the W10 defender icon green unless you really need to do something like update it.
        http://tech-soft3.blogspot.com/2016/05/windows-10-tip-disable-data-collection.html
        shows how to turn them off permanently using gpedit.

To have it only show unhappy when there’s really something not right [AV updates are too old, etc.] use GPedit as described here to cut its legs off.
        http://tech-soft3.blogspot.com/2016/05/windows-10-tip-disable-data-collection.html
        Go to “PART 2: Turn Off Automatic Sample Submission to Microsoft Using Group Policy” for GP tweaks.

==> But in step 2 where it says go to
        Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Defender -> MAPS
        you might have to look here instead:
        Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Microsoft Defender -> MAPS
        Then *carefully* follow steps 3 and 4 at the link above – they are a bit weird.

Note: If you don’t have the Defender security badge showing up in your system tray, make sure “SecurityHealthSystray.exe” is set to start on boot.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Controlling Win10’s sometimes hyperactive security apps

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.