News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Cooling Fan for Chromebook?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  plodr 1 month ago.

• Author

anonymous

Just purchased a 2nd HP Chromebook (got the first for my husband as a Windows 7 replacement and liked it so much I’ve just replaced my Windows 7 laptop) and noticed this one seems to run a lighter hotter than one purchased a few months back.  It has no internal fan or vents.  Is there any negative to purchasing a rigid platform that has 2 fans inside that blow cooler air onto the bottom of the Chromebook?  Just making sure that the (probably minimal) cooling from such an item wouldn’t have any detrimental effects on the Chromebook?  I know I’ve read that if a Chromebook gets too hot, it supposedly shuts itself off but I’d like to avoid that scenario!

• #1908212 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

A cooling platform should have no negative effects on the Chromebook.

• #1908284 Reply

Microfix
      Da Boss

I use a rigid cooling platform and only switch the fans on when doing intensive cpu processes. Haggled it as part of the deal when I bought a new Windows Vista laptop.

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

• #1952170 Reply

plodr
      AskWoody Plus

I use two  passive cooling mats on two of our netbooks because I wasn’t willing to give up a USB port. Unfortunately Targus no longer makes these mats. A crystalline compound absorbs heat by turning into a soft gel, keeping the notebook cool. Once the heat is removed, the gel turns back into crystals and is ready for use again.

Had I known they’d stop making them, I would have purchased 1 or 2 more.

Heat Defense for laptops AWE45US

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/targus-awe45us-notebook-cooling-pad-black-gray/8850488.p?skuId=8850488

Got coffee?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Cooling Fan for Chromebook?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.