News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Corrupted normal.dotm Keeps Happening

Home Forums AskWoody support Productivity software by function MS Word and word processing help Corrupted normal.dotm Keeps Happening

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Ben Myers
        AskWoody Plus

We’ve all seen the effects of a supposedly corrupted normal.dotm with Word for years, regular dialog boxes asking you to do something out of the norm.  Microsoft describes the problem as a corrupted Templates folder, but has never ever explained how it gets corrupted, except to give explanations that make Microsoft itself blameless.  The solution is mindlessly simple, namely delete the Templates folder and let Word create a new one.

Why hasn’t Microsoft ever taken true ownership of the normal.dotm problem?  If the Templates folder keeps getting corrupted by some mysterious outside force software, protect it better.  But, for Pete’s sake, do something, Microsoft!

Yes, I am ranting a bit here, because I have seen this nonsense for years and a client of mine seems to have the normal.dotm problem maybe every year, sometimes more often, and yes, today.

macropod
        AskWoody_MVP

You could, of course, apply the Windows system read-only attribute to the Normal.dotm file, which would prevent any changes that might corrupt it. That would make customising it a PITA though. Savvy users keep a backup copy with all their customisations in place for ease of restoration…

Cheers,
        Paul Edstein
        [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Corrupted normal.dotm Keeps Happening

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.