News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Cortana’s footprint is shrinking

Home Forums AskWoody blog Cortana’s footprint is shrinking

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  OscarCP 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

I think there may be two people reading this who will actually care, but Microsoft is pulling Cortana from Android and iOS, as Lawrence Abrams describ
      [See the full post at: Cortana’s footprint is shrinking]

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2007400 Reply

b
      AskWoody Plus

I think MS hasn’t gone far enough. Mehedi Hassan, over at Thurrot.com, got it right:

Cortana was removed from Windows 10 Setup six months ago for Pro/Enterprise/Education:

Microsoft is turning off Cortana’s voice walkthrough during Windows 10 setup for Pro and Enterprise users

Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 (Group ASAP)

• #2007401 Reply

Alex5723
      AskWoody Plus

“It is not known at this time if this change is affecting all markets or only UK, Australia, and Canada.”

Microsoft is killing off its Cortana mobile apps everywhere except the U.S. next year

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-killing-off-its-cortana-mobile-apps-everywhere-except-the-us-next-year

2 users thanked author for this post.
    • #2007455 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

Heard a lot over the years around here about how to remove, turn it off and mitigate its snooping, but never heard from any one who actually uses it/her and if its any good or even any praise.
      Needless to say I am one of those that effectively neutralises Cortana as a matter of course.

• #2007482 Reply

WildBill
      AskWoody Plus

The one reason I was eager for Windows 10 over 4 years ago was… Cortana. Flashing back to Star Trek episodes, I wanted my computer to respond to my voice & do things for me… like that Computer. Woody suggested I try it (her?) out on my Android phone… which I never did. Google Assistant came with my phone & did what Cortana could do. 4 Years Later… what’s the big whoop about personal assistants?! If & When I upgrade Win8.1 to Win10 1909, I’ll probably turn on Cortana & give her (it?!) a test run. Will I keep her around? Maybe… I occasionally use Google Assistant… Not constantly. Cortana interfacing with To Do on my phone? We’ll see… the main point of using any assistant: Is talking to it more efficient than manually opening & using an app? & Can I live with or without it?

Windows 8.1, 64-bit, back in Group A... & leaning toward Windows 10 V1909. As long as it's a Lot Less Buggy!
      Wild Bill Rides Again...

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2007580 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

I dislike deeply any, animated or not, talking “clips” (remember “Clippy”?) such as Apple’s “Siri” (which I killed as soon as I had macOS up and running on my just unpacked, brand new Mac (link at bottom) but Cortana, unlike Siri, has the “talking” part enabled only as an option. Otherwise, in its silent mode, it seems to be a fairly harmless and otherwise rather helpful assistant, going by this description (link below). Why is that people want to get rid of it?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17214/cortana-what-is

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204389

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2008647 Reply

Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

Otherwise, in its silent mode, it seems to be a fairly harmless and otherwise rather helpful assistant, going by this description (link below). Why is that people want to get rid of it?

If I were using Windows 10, I would want to get rid of Cortana because I don’t want any of those functions highlighted, talking or not.  It’s not (just) the speech that makes it objectionable.  I’ve never needed a digital personal assistant to do any of the things that Cortana is supposed to do before, and I don’t need it now.   It’s just an effort to drive traffic to Bing so that Microsoft can monetize the user, and it is a symbol of Microsoft’s refusal to let me configure the OS to suit my own needs.  The fact that it’s mandatory and non-removable makes me want to eradicate it all the more.

It’s not just Cortana, though.  I want to get rid of all of the “apps,” including the MS Store, and when I was evaluating 10 back in 2015, I did in fact remove all of those things, by unapproved means, of course, on Windows 10 and on Windows 8.1 before it (not Cortana, of course, but a lot of the other ones were still there).

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.4).

• #2008665 Reply

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Ascaris: OK! I get your point of view. But what about my adored aunt Agatha’s viewpoint? Why can’t Cortana be a blessing to her? (Silent Cortana: she is a wee bit hard of hearing these days.) And to millions and millions of others like her, that love exchanging email, YouTube knitting and cooking clips, grandchildren pics and animated cat gifs?

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W + Mac&Lx

• #2008721 Reply

Ascaris
            AskWoody_MVP

You asked why people wanted to get rid of it, so I gave my answer.

I’m not saying no one should ever use that kind of thing.  That’s not for me to decide for anyone else.  It simply should not be an unremovable part of the operating system, any more than Facebook, Yahoo stocks, or any other similar thing should be unremovable “system” apps on a phone.  I’ve always advocated maximum flexibility and configurability, and there’s nothing that would stop Cortana from running as an application on Windows 10, or any other OS that MS wishes.  Just don’t wedge it in there like they did with IE and pretend it’s an immovable and intrinsic part of the OS, because it’s not.

Blessed aunt Agatha, for what it’s worth, should probably be using an iPad, if all she’s after is a connectivity appliance that doesn’t require much technical knowledge.  Apple’s years ahead of Microsoft as far as making things “just work” for non-technical people, and my guess is that she would have already migrated away from the PC platform along with the rest of the teeming hordes who have moved on.  Those of us who are still left on the PC platform have remained for a reason, so pushing out a phone-style personal assistant to those of us who have deliberately not moved completely to the mobile platform probably isn’t going to work any more than putting a phone interface on Windows 8 sold Windows 8 phones.

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.17.4).

1 user thanked author for this post.
            • #2008733 Reply

OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

So Cortana is an integral part of the OS?

Bad MS! Bad!

Now, this is all very well, But how about Cortana being an AI created as a DARPA project (*) and only of late gracing this forum as a subject of controversy?

https://www.halopedia.org/Cortana

What does anyone here have to say about that, huh?

(*) As revealed by the “Big D” to those of us with a need to know.

• #2007971 Reply

doriel
      AskWoody Lounger

I never really used her. Usefull for searching maybe, it was bounded together in the past with searching in windows, right? Sometimes Cortana blocked my sysprep.exe, as well as other all-the-time-updating apps.

Now I just press windows button and start to type what I want. I am little bit conservative and I dont need to chnage it, it works.

Siri is good on mobile devices, where is no keyboard, but on computer, I dont need her.

Hey, Siri! Where I parked my car yesterday? 🙂

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, WX 1809 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

• #2008610 Reply

anonymous

Talking assistants are still more of a novelty for me than anything useful. I am completely impersonal towards Google Assistant, and most of the time I just use the regular Google search box, which has no creepy persona to deal with. It serves and that’s that.

I’m not saying that chatbots have no place – they could potentially be quite useful in mental health cases – but for the average consumer, I still think they’re just a novelty.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Cortana’s footprint is shrinking

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.