News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • COVID-19 Stuck at Home

Posted on Kathy Stevens Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Outside the box COVID-19 COVID-19 Stuck at Home

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Author
        Kathy Stevens
        AskWoody Plus

OK, you are stuck at home because of the Cronavirus.

So how will you be using your computer while confined to quarters?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2191071 Reply
        anonymous

spell checking prior to posting :)/

b
        • #2191079 Reply
          Kathy Stevens
          AskWoody Plus

I did using both WordPerfect and MS Word. Both passed the grammar checkers.

Is you problem Cronavirus?

If so follow the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

• #2191083 Reply
            PKCano
            Da Boss

Is you problem Cronavirus?

You forgot the first “O” in Coronavirus

Seems my everyday use of the computer won’t change 🙂

• #2191087 Reply
              Kathy Stevens
              AskWoody Plus

O dear, I do not know how I missed the O!

For our part we:

1. Purchased and installed a Logitech – C920 Pro to replace the lower quality web cam on one of our workstations so that we can communicate with our doctors remotely.
              2. Purchased a Fitbit to monitor our vitals, if needed, to support remote conversations with our doctors,
              3. Started ordering groceries online so we can pick them up at the store’s front door thereby avoiding the need to go into the store, and
              4. Updated our Roku subscription so that we can stream Netflix and BritBox to our TV.
      • #2191105 Reply
        jabeattyauditor
        AskWoody Lounger

I’ll be helping a bunch of others trying to do their work online for the first time, while keeping the servers and infrastructure afloat from afar.

As far as groceries go, here in Ohio, just about everything is wiped clean. With the kids out of school, all the milk, bread, and eggs went immediately. All meat and seafood went next, along with all the dry goods.

Now that all bars and restaurants are going to carry-out only as of 9PM, I’m not sure what’ll be left – maybe some odd batteries that fit things people don’t care about at the moment, like smoke detectors, etc.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #2191147 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Looking forward, vegetable seeds and tomato plants were purchased at a local farm supply. In a week, a garden with zucchini, squash, okra, peppers will go into place. Zucchini and squash tend to grow without encouragement and in miserable soil.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        offline▸ Win7Pro SP1 x64 InUse
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.752 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox75.0b10 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        3 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2199686 Reply
          firemind
          AskWoody Lounger

Your reply made me remember my teenage years because during that period my parents had a big garden and greenhouse. Some vegetables were always available and even lasted into the winter as canned or frozen goods.

If we were stuck at home the “grocer” was just out back.

• #2191177 Reply
        Ascaris
        AskWoody_MVP

By what means would I be confined to home?  I’d have to know that first!

Group "L" (KDE Neon User Edition 5.18.3).

• #2197178 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

I went to the supermarket limping a bit (there is more to this, in a moment) and discovered that the eggs’ shelves were completely bare: no eggs, no eggs anywhere! Odd, I thought. But being Sunday, maybe the egg-deliveries won’t come until Monday. Or some other logistics’ issue. Or maybe people are making egg-based vaccines in their basements? Because what is the point of storing perishable food as an insurance against a future famine? (Or whatever is causing this remarkable appetite for eggs.)

As I said, I went to the supermarket limping a little, because some weeks ago I hurt my left foot in a silly accident, and the old thing, this humble but useful part of my original equipment, is taking its time getting over that. So I am trying not to use that foot too much and, other than skipping on the right one, which at my age would seem undignified, I have no alternative but to stay at home as much as possible: I have become, for the time being, a (mostly) right-footed shut-in.

Because going to the supermarket, even in a car, takes a significant deal of foot work: from my apartment to the garage, to the car; from the car, across a rather large part of a large parking lot of the open-air mall where the supermarket is located, then in and around the fairly large sales area of the supermarket, then back to the car, then from the car, in the garage at home, to my apartment door…

So I have started buying food from the supermarket chain food delivery service. It costs significantly more than buying in person at the mart, and not everything one would like to buy is available this way, and there are things I wold not buy without seeing them in person first. Fresh veggies, for example.

But it would do for someone like me and I have resorted to using this delivery service several times already. So this time, I had asked for a delivery to be made yesterday, Saturday, between 6 PM and 8 PM. I was waiting from someone knocking on my door, but nobody did. Then, around the time-limit for the delivery, I checked online to see its status and there, big and bold: “Delivered”!!! Now, “Delivered”, to be registered by the electronic brain keeping track of things for this delivery service, means that someone actually signed off on the reception of the goods and this signature (probably the usual shapeless doodle, no many John Hancock’s around anymore) was transmitted via radio waves all the way to said electronic brain, wherever it might be. It also means that someone had been suddenly presented with a windfall of chosen groceries and gladly took it. I hope he or she has lots of fat babies.

So I called the delivery system and was informed that there was 45-minute delay. That was last night. And that they were closing for the night and were back up at 6:00 Am Central Time (the central facilities are in Chicago.) So I did get little sleep, one thing and another, and at 7:00 AM plus a few minutes, my time, I made a call, promptly answered, and I got a promise to refund my already posted credit-card payment and the delivery of the same items re-scheduled to be repeated next Saturday. Fortunately I have enough to eat in the fridge and pantry to hold out until then, if on a rather monotonous diet.

Therefore, a shut in, self-isolate, or however one might describe a situation such as mine, is at the mercy of the vagaries of delivery persons and scummy neighbors (I assume that the person in charge of the delivery at least got to the right high-rise apartments’ building, mine being the only one in a rather large radius around here.) But, learning from this experience, it is possible, in principle, to come up with some plan to cope with such contingencies. So I am thinking about that.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group W (ex B) & macOS + Linux (Mint)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by OscarCP.
        • #2199494 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

And because I needed, right away, certain things that were supposed to be coming, but did not come (to me) in my undelivered delivery, it was that I found myself walking through a parking lot, on my way to the supermarket, at the beginning of my story.

• #2199669 Reply
            Myst
            AskWoody Plus

@oscarcp

So maybe going back to hobbling along through a grocery store parking lot to buy food and such would be the better choice. That pretty much guarantees delivery, rather than chance having them get into the wrong hands, or in this case, fridge and cupboards. Your life sounds like a sitcom. Haha. Hang in there

Win7 SP1 Home 64-bit, GrpA / MacOS / Chromebook

• #2199910 Reply
              OscarCP
              AskWoody Plus

Myst,

Not just a sitcom, but also a cautionary tale for those who might find themselves in a similar shut-in situation as mine, but for reasons more germane to the germ.

• #2199680 Reply
        ScotchJohn
        AskWoody Plus

Trivially, coronavirus and carnivorous are anagrams.

Dell E5570 Latitude, Intel Core i5 6440@2.60 GHz, 8.00 GB - Win 10 Pro

• #2199853 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

During this time expect to see phishing text to your phone advising you that your credit card has been limited. If you have questions concerning your credit card, contact your credit card company directly. Do not respond to any text messages; don’t call any number shown in the phishing text.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        online▸ Win10Pro 1909.18363.752 x64 i5-9400 RAM8GB HDD Firefox75.0b10 Windows{Image/Defender/Firewall}
        • #2199879 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Geekdom: I can also say that, seventeen times, that is the number of such calls I received in a single morning some days ago. All, fortunately, from the same number and with the same creaky-cracking message hard to understand, about some “breach” that meant trouble for me. They were all in my mailbox, because I have been keeping the landline phone mostly off the hook and off the wall, as I am trying to get something done here that requires a lot of my attention. But, being all from the same number, as soon as I heard the number mentioned by the robot that takes care of my voicemail, I hit the “delete” key and moved on to the next one. Seventeen times.

So Myst is right: my life is like a sitcom, these days. How about yours?

• #2200009 Reply
        DriftyDonN
        AskWoody Plus

OscarCP=> I certainly empathize! Although the virus situation doesn’t have me homebound, I am a caregiver and cannot leave my wife alone-So I too have been using the delivery service(it IS pricey). I haven’t had too many problems yet but expect soon the delays will hit my local store. I live in the most densely populate county in Florida(3K per square mile!) Hopefully they will have enough shoppers and drivers! I have seen your posts and it appears we live the same kind of life where phones are concerned! I turn on my cell when I HAVE to leave the house-Dr etc- otherwise I use VIOP(the land-line replacement) and had to turn the ringers off because of robo calls  I have been using nomorobo.com for some time now on landline -it’s free and works fairly well-one ring then gone. Cell app is not free but I use maybe 10 min a month so dont need it.. You may have heard of nomorobo but I thought I would post it in case you hadn’t- hope your ankle/foot gets better quickly and you avoid the covid-19 AND the nasty neighbors!

DriftyDonN

• #2201596 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

DriftyDonD: I think you have, overall, a tougher situation than mine — except for the cell phone/land line phone part, where I feel we are more or less even. I don’t know what ails your wife, but remember something about an emergency and not getting an acceptable response at the hospital admissions counter, because you were asked first (as usual) not what was wrong, but how were you going to pay. I hope it’s something that can be cured.

At least I can hobble my way anywhere, if I have to, so staying home or going out is entirely optional. Even if going out is not all that advisable, I can do it and live to see another day. And I don’t have to take care of sick strangers, the way you do, when we are all told to keep a longer “social distance”, etc., etc.

Nomorobo: I have seen somethings that were contradictory as to it being good or bad, if I remember correctly, but I was not paying much attention to that at the time. I definitely intend to look into that when I have the time to do it properly and, particularly, to research VOIP services, find one that looks OK, try it out, see how that goes. If I find one VOIP I like, then I would change my Verizon FIOs bundle: TV+Internet+telephone, to just Internet and begin to save substantial bucks on “connectivity.”

I hope you and your wife make it OK through this weird situation we are in now.

• #2208039 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

If you have access to Internet, you are fortunate in that it gives you access to information and necessary products. Make sure you have a credit card for transactions; make sure you have cash for local transactions as at some point the electronic world may fail.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        • #2208120 Reply
          anonymous

Parcel delivery is not yet fully automated to the last mile. That is the weak spot in your suggestion. I will be able to select, purchase, and have the funds deducted from my assets quite a ways down the rabbit hole. All these functions can be supported remotely. But delivery still requires some hands on, and therefore open to carrier infection, human interaction. Not necessarily face to face. But I may not want to leave packages in sunlight for hours while I wait for lingering surface infection to die off by attrition.

Alternatively, in that future where we have achieved full automation, we will have to remember to make those cyber-servants self aware for self cleaning. Other wise the next plague will have senti3ent robots delivering automatically ordered merchandise to each other. All the consumers having been infected and succumbed.

Wow, that went darker than I intended at the beginning. TL:DR electronic ordering will outlast the human supply chain when ordered to stay home.

• #2208131 Reply
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

anonymous: It all depends on the actual risk, that when it comes to COVID-19 contagion, we do not know, yet, what it is for sure, at least where I live in the USA (and, at the moment, I believe to be also true in much of the USA). I expect we will find out all about this, sometime in the next couple of weeks, but until then this comment might apply:

During WWII, people in London and elsewhere in the UK and in mainland Europe, stayed at home, even if their neighborhoods were favored by the German Luftwaffe (or the allied bombers) with the occasional block-buster bomb or two and, later in the conflict, in the UK, with the more interesting and higher-tech V1 and V2 bombs courtesy of the Peenemünde folks. Life had to go on, and did, until it didn’t, and this fact was acknowledged, as it ever is, with what people did, not what they might have said. We have self-isolation and hand-washing, they had bomb shelters. Bomb shelters could have been, occasionally, more fun (with some singing, generally carrying on, including getting closer to some appealing opposite-sex person, during the better, quieter moments, perhaps?)

• #2208135 Reply
              anonymous

The risk is not likely to be high for the young and fit population that makes up the bulk of parcel delivery people. The delivery failure comes from the the abundance of caution concern that forces young fit people to stop interacting with elders who have a higher risk of complications. A part of the social distancing intended to flatten the curve. Purely hypothetical at the moment. But solutions have been coming pretty quickly over the last week.

Neither your historical example nor my flight of future fiction fantasy apply to our current panic driven crises and the rational efforts to minimize real effects. As you say real numbers will only be available after the facts have occurred. We are attempting to maximize the number of people who will be with us to read the reports. Reducing the human to human interactions is key to that plan. When workers are ordered to stay home, deliveries become more difficult than electronic transactions.

Whether that is the correct solution will be debated for some time afterward.

• #2208164 Reply
                OscarCP
                AskWoody Plus

anonymous: I think that the relevancy of my “WWII” comment is this one:

There is and there will continue to be a danger that could be dire or perhaps not, but assuming as a probably correct qualifier ‘dire’ is a sane thing to do at the moment, at least until know more about it. My comment was about how I think one should live one’s life in times of real but uncertain danger: among the WWII people of my example, some had no idea that they were about to have a block-buster bomb dropped right on top of them. Sometimes, some did have that happen to them, every time most did not. We don’t know if we are about to have a close and personal encounter with the SARS-COV-2 virus, or not. Or even if we have had one, just recently. I think it is better to be cautious, but not so much as to let our lives become hostages to caution. That was my point. Your comment on package delivery’s moved me to making it; perhaps I read too much in it?

And I suspect that one cannot get groceries delivered online from the store directly to an appropriate computer peripheral, completely untouched by human hands. Replicators are 23rd Century appliances.

• #2208174 Reply
                anonymous

And I attempted to emphasize my agreement with your

we do not know, yet, what it is for sure…

by including both of our comparisons, from the factual past and fictional future, as irrelevant to the current issue. We won’t have access to the relevant details until the after action reports are written. Only then will we know how it compares to the Great War, WWII, or any other period.

Originally, I only wished to show that the blue collar workforce might be sequestered as pert of the social distancing protocol. And that this was a more likely failure than geekdom’s

at some point the electronic world may fail.

My anonymous opinion is that the internet will still be operational when we have told the humans stay where they are. And that deliveries still require human effort to complete. The internet also requires human maintenance. But deliveries are by definition a distribution network, which we might temporarily suspend to avoid distributing the virus. While the maintenance tasks are either virtually remote or physically remote from the general population. And more significantly, that portion of the population more susceptible to complications.

• #2208167 Reply
          wavy
          AskWoody Plus

and maybe 20#s of white rice and a few bags of beans, maybe a bottle of multi vitamins.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
          • #2208240 Reply
            OscarCP
            AskWoody Plus

Hmmm. Boiled rice with butter and grated parmesan cheese; split-pea soup; lentils stew with onions, potatoes, carrots, canned tomatoes; rolled oats boiled with raisins for breakfast — the potatoes kept in the fridge, where also they’ll be mostly in darkness, so they do not sprout or turn green and poisonous…  Oh, the  possibilities are endless. What fun!

Just try not to fall and break something while self-isolated.

Back to my quickly dismissed “Brits under bombardment” example: the comparison is about now and then being times of great uncertainty and how people coped then and might cope now. Except that then they could be, literally, “all together in it” in bomb shelters, rubble cleaning parties, queuing for food or whatever they needed, their rations’ books in hand and chatting with each other as they moved slowly forward. Now, we have self-isolation, social distance… Fear and loathing? I hope not too much.

• #2208168 Reply
        Seff
        AskWoody Plus

I’ve rather lost track of where the confinement issue is now in the US, but here in the UK I’m about to embark on at least 12 weeks home confinement, and I can’t say the prospect appeals greatly. However, at this stage I don’t really see any alternative other than a massive shift in the balance of the argument between saving the West’s economies and saving it’s peoples. Not an envious decision for any politicians, all of whom are now looking very weary and with good cause. Unfortunately, exhaustion rarely results in sound decision-making.

The wife and I are trying to adapt to this new way of living by contrasting it beneficially with the thoughts our respective mothers must have had when waving a very uncertain farewell to our fathers when they were called into action in 1939. Like them, I’ve no doubt we shall get through it all, but when and with what outcome no-one knows. Who would ever have thought that such a situation could arise in this Century.

As for my computers, I shall continue – and very likely increase – my gaming hobby, but the main area of concern relates to updating and upgrading. During this period of uncertainty and difficulty when there will be little opportunity to visit such places as my local repair centre I could really do without having to mull over whether or not to upgrade my second home machine to Windows 10 and how to deal with the updates to the first machine which I upgraded a couple or so weeks ago.

Still, we had our family gathered here today for what may be the last time for a while, and in the course of which they helped me set up a WhatsApp account for group messaging and video calls which will help us keep in touch enormously.

Good luck all, and profound thanks to those who continue to man the barricades during this tricky and uncertain period – both in a wider context among the healthcare professionals and in a narrower context here on AskWoody.

• #2208211 Reply
          OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

Sef: You could install (or get someone you know to install for you), Linux in dual boot with Windows 7 in your PC. I have done that (got a friend to do it) and I am OK with the result. Unless your work requires to use Windows 10, you’ll probably manage well with the dual-boot system. Both Ubuntu and Mint have user interfaces that people can use right after reading a bit about them in the various publications, both books and online documents and tutorials, that have been mentioned in the several threads here dedicated to Linux. It is entirely possible to get documents from the Windows side while running Linus and this also works the other way around.

Whatever happens, best wishes to you and to all those living with you. The coming weeks and months are going to be trying; being as well-prepared as we can, within reason, is the right way to start them. Of course, this is an unprecedented situation in living memory, so no one can be too sure of everything that is going to be needed in the weeks and months ahead.

Good luck has to be also part of every “for hanging tough in there” personal kit.

• #2208364 Reply
            Seff
            AskWoody Plus

Thanks for the thoughts, Oscar. However, I’m not interested in switching the OS and it wouldn’t be overly suitable for me as a gamer. If I were interested, this critical moment wouldn’t be the time to do – and the timing is all I’m concerned about with updates and upgrades. The one thing I can do is upgrade my main machine which is now W10 from Home to Pro so I can delay everything further.

Thanks for your best wishes, which are of course reciprocated!

• #2208336 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Make sure you have a paper local city map, wider area map, and a paper phone book. If you need information on what’s open, where to get supplies, where to find a doctor or hospital, maps and phone books provide information.

Create a small bag of necessities: several clothes changes, medical supplies you need, soap, towels, water, nonperishable food, important papers. Make sure you have sturdy shoes and clothes. You don’t know what you may need or will be require to do and neither does anyone else.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
        • This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by geekdom.
        • #2208346 Reply
          Kathy Stevens
          AskWoody Plus

We are dealing with COVID-19 – not an earthquake, not a hurricane, and not a flood.

It is the universal recommendation that we find a safe place (hopefully home) and stay there for the duration – only going out for essentials – food and medicine. And plan to stay there for weeks.

Why will we need to “Create a small bag of necessities”?

Are you recommending that we run to the wilderness to gain total separation?

We all need to calm down and not become part of a greater problem.

• #2208351 Reply
            jabeattyauditor
            AskWoody Lounger

Two weeks ago, my friends and relatives laughed at the thought of having an extra package of toilet paper or a month’s worth of food in the house.

What seems extreme today may well seem like responsible preparation a week from now. Have you thought about what happens when everyone isolates themselves, including the folks who keep the infrastructure running? Water, electricity, sewer systems – these things don’t maintain themselves, and they need replacement parts… parts that typically aren’t made anywhere but China.

Prudently preparing for what may be yet to come is not a crazy thing. Sadly, it may already be too late to do this effectively.

• #2208352 Reply
              cyberSAR
              AskWoody Plus

Yep! I started advising my elderly friends over a month ago. Get a couple months of medicine and at least a month of food. They all seemed to blow it off.

Couple days ago one had his pulmonologist phone him, on a recorded line, to order him to stay home and at least 10′ away from anyone for at least 2-3 weeks. Now he believed her 🙂

He only had enough food to last through the week. He can now only get 10-day supply of his meds due to shortages. I had to go out and purchase some necessities from a nearly empty store and bring it to him. Bright side is they did have 1 roll of toilet paper 🙁

If he would have stated he was short of cash or needed help sooner it would have been much easier.

• #2208371 Reply
              Kathy Stevens
              AskWoody Plus

My issue with geekdom’s post was not to be prepared for the virus. It was how to prepare.

His recommendations were to, “Create a small bag of necessities: several clothes changes, medical supplies you need, soap, towels, water, nonperishable food, important papers.”

Our approach has been a little different. We limit our activities to a daily walk with the dog and visits to the grocery store and pharmacy every other week.

We do not need a small bag for this. We need a large pantry. On the other hand, we are also attempting to be reasonable with respect to what we buy.

There has been a major shift in corporate and individual consumer purchasing practices that are causing problems within the logistics chain.  Consumer shopping once every other week (larger numbers of items at a single visit) vs. stopping by the store on the way home from work. Increased use of toilet paper at home vs. at the office.

The logistics world is upside-down. Not because we, as a society, are using more toilet paper. We are most likely using the same amount only in different locations. Same for paper towels.

We are also purchasing food differently – frozen vegetables vs. fresh, etc. And larger but fewer purchase per transaction.

There is a market dislocation and it will take time for it to come back into balance.

• #2208390 Reply
                jabeattyauditor
                AskWoody Lounger

Our approach has been a little different. We limit our activities to a daily walk with the dog and visits to the grocery store and pharmacy every other week. We do not need a small bag for this. We need a large pantry.

What if the assumption that you’ll be allowed to stay in your home with your large pantry proves inaccurate?

What if you need to leave your home to seek medical care under less-than-ideal conditions?

To be prepared to stay home under these circumstances is to be better prepared than most; to be prepared to *leave* that place of refuge when absolutely necessary isn’t the worst thing to consider.

3 users thanked author for this post.
              • #2208407 Reply
                DriftyDonN
                AskWoody Plus

We cannot foresee let alone prepare for all possible outcomes. Be informed and don’t prepare for an iceberg in Miami. You MUST eat to live. A full pantry w/ non perishables is the best approach, but do not buy so much your neighbors are without. Food stores are NOT stocking fast enough. Food delivery company shows MANY MANY items unavailable-staples-bread, eggs, chicken, beans, beef etc etc. I was able to select 17 items for my wife and I and delivery(was supposed to be within 2 hrs at sign up a couple months ago) is now 5 hrs out- so when the shopper gets to the shelves,I wonder how many items we will actually receive? we’ll see.

The government says we will probably not level out the wave- of course not! Aside from the wealthy and privileged, testing is limited to symptomatic persons who can actually get thru to their Dr(have you tried? even in the best of times it’s difficult at best.) So testing thousands of presumptive positive patients, of course the peak is going go UP. The media and govt task force need to stop telling us we are trying to level out the peak- you are not and you are misleading the public. Also, getting in line and a swab stuck in your nose, that is NOT a test-those are backlogged specimens that are sitting FROZEN while the labs attempt to catch up. Words matter and journalists(?) and Dr’s should choose their words more carefully.

I ordered(or asked our Dr’s to order) early Rx for us LAST WEEK- today, I got heartburn(ulcer med)! no cholesterol control, my wife got nothing- no hypertension med- and no return calls from Dr nor CVS. Phone lines either have a ridiculously long wait time or do not work at all.

So, the news reports we are getting are misleading and some outright lies. technology is great but it will not take the place of Dr/Patient interaction. Can u hear my heart doc? how r my lungs sounding on YOUR end? About my blood tests-o wait, I cant get any cause I might infect the lab-so hunnker down and chat w/ a dr who plays one on your teleVid call. “Dear Abbey” Yea, I’m skeptical- Drs have time to talk on tv phone call should be doing hands on care and let social workers listen to patients and pass info along up the chain as necessary-

Meanwhile spring break continues unabated in places with no end in site and arrogant college student says “nothin going to mess w my spring break!”-actual quote from participant-TODAY!-my solutions would likely be edited out and hurt some feelings so I’ll just not share. I’ll cancel our haircuts and Dental appointments and pray for food delivery.

Ive moved from quarantined to rants-well maybe this will survive the editor’s pen, maybe not. But I feel better!

I hope all stay safe and sound and your food arrives too! 😉

DriftyDonN

• #2208492 Reply
            wavy
            AskWoody Plus

We are dealing with COVID-19 – not an earthquake, not a hurricane, and not a flood.

It is the universal recommendation that we find a safe place (hopefully home) and stay there for the duration – only going out for essentials – food and medicine. And plan to stay there for weeks.

Why will we need to “Create a small bag of necessities”?

Are you recommending that we run to the wilderness to gain total separation?

A better question is ‘why not?’ Because you know shtuff happens, having a go bag is an option for all time not just now.

🍻

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.
      • #2208432 Reply
        OscarCP
        AskWoody Plus

Concerning house delivery of online shopping groceries and other common necessities, to avoid going out to a supermarket or grocery instead, here is an article that I think many will find useful, as it outlines quite well some of the problems and limitations of this kind of shopping one should be aware of (and that is not just about having to pay more):

https://www.checkbook.org/washington-area/supermarkets/articles/Grocery-Delivery-How-Much-Extra-Will-You-Pay-to-Skip-the-Store-7138

• #2208783 Reply
        geekdom
        AskWoody Plus

Things you probably ought to think about:

Do you have durable power of attorney in place for yourself or others should you or they become incapacitated?

Do you have a health care directive?

Do you have a will?

What does your health insurance actually cover?

These are hard questions that you need to address. I posted them for you to think on.  Even in normal times, these would be valid considerations.

G{ot backup} TestBeta
      • #2210646 Reply
        firemind
        AskWoody Lounger

I had a cold so decided to self isolate for 14 days just to be safe. I have a week to go and enough food, and tp to last.

My computer is my lifeline to entertainment and friends and it’s keeping me sane, lol. I just transitioned to Linux Mint from Windows 7 and sometimes I forget because things are virtually the same until you dive into the techie side of things.

I am looking forward to getting out of the house but will have to adapt to changes in my city (businesses closed or reduced hours – more social distancing). I will still have to stay vigilant.

Viewing 14 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: COVID-19 Stuck at Home

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.