News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • CPU spikes after patching

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 CPU spikes after patching

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Paul T 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello All,

Since installing Windows 7 “August” patches on sept.8th i have noticed CPU spikes when online. The patches i installed are KB4512506 and KB4474419. I am aware of this being an issue for people running windows 10 but do not see anyone like myself who is windows 7.

Thanks

• #1959141 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

what kind of computer are you using? perhaps mention the brand & model and the hardware specs of your computer (aka, cpu, ram & hdd/ssd).

I am not having that cpu spike problem on my family’s Dell Inspiron 620 desktop pc running Win7 Ultimate edition that previously had KB4474419-V2 & KB4512506 updates (but now has KB4474419-V3 & KB4516065 Sept 2019 updates. Hardware config on the Dell is Intel i5-2500 cpu, 8Gb of RAM and a 1Tb Western Digital SATA3 hard drive (I have not upgraded to any SSDs yet).

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  EP.
      • #1959207 Reply

mrj2k
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi EP,
        Am using a HP Pavallion HPE with intel core i7 3770k CPU @ 3.50GHZ & 12 GB ram. Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and 1TB Hard Drive. When i sit at my computer and am online i can hear the system working harder and although i am not very versed on CPU’s when i check my cpu usage in Task Manager it spikes to 22 to 32% and normally (Before patching) cpu ran about 10% give or take.

• #1959587 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

In Task Manager you should be able to see what process is using the CPU. Alternatively, use MS ProcessExplorer.

cheers, Paul

• #1960230 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

the only time I’ve seen a cpu spike (though it was not a big one but enough to get my attention) on my Win7 PC with a recent update with either KB4516065 or KB4512506 is with the “Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser” [Google search on “microsoft compatibility appraiser cpu spike“] – had to monitor this with Task Manager as Paul T was saying; sometimes that also causes the hard drive to show almost 100% activity [aka. 100% disk spike, not just with 100% cpu usage] so I had to figure out a way to disable that thing.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  EP.
    • #1960253 Reply

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks EP and Paul T for suggestions. I googled to read up a bit on cpu spikes and some are saying a spike of 20 to 30% is no big deal. It is if it stays a ‘constant” higher percentage that you should be concerned.They go on to say 0-10% is normal for an idle computer but anything (constantly above 10%) you should check out.Task Manager is showing that when i am online i am staying a pretty constant 10% so ??

• #1960300 Reply

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Sorry guys had to update my post because after doing what Paul T suggested and checking in Task Manager processes under the cpu column i can see everything listed is 00%… BUT internet Explorer is the only thing running at a constant 13%. Not sure if this is normal for ie or if the august patching (done from windows update) not ms catalog as i patch as group A has any impact on this reading?

Thanks everyone

• #1960307 Reply

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Me updating yet again as i fogot to mention the listing in task manager/processes that i am assuming is internet explorer and it reads… iexplore.exe*32 if this helps anyone help me i thank you kindly.
      mrj2k

• #1960518 Reply

EP
      AskWoody_MVP

why are you still using internet explorer, mrj2k? do you need to access certain web sites that require IE?

I almost never use Internet Explorer anymore as I mostly use Mozilla Firefox ESR and Google Chrome (and some alternative browsers like Seamonkey, Opera and Palemoon; might also consider running Waterfox). Sometimes Internet Explorer just hangs and do nothing, especially on javascript heavy sites; had to force close iexplore.exe process from Task Manager just to shut it down.

Even Microsoft themselves advise not to use Internet Explorer anymore as mentioned in this blog several months ago:
      https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/The-perils-of-using-Internet-Explorer-as-your-default-browser/ba-p/331732

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-security-chief-ie-is-not-a-browser-so-stop-using-it-as-your-default/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/8/18216767/microsoft-internet-explorer-warning-compatibility-solution

• #1960913 Reply

mrj2k
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi EP,
        Yes i am very aware that i should have moved on from ie. Truth be told,i live a very stressful life caring for my two elderly parents and well some things just have to be put on the back burner for longer than i would like. So i am just hoping to get by with my present setup for another 6-12 months and than look forward to a new computer system with all new up to date software/hardware and most likely dump microsoft all together for a macbook or chromebook but that is a subject for another thread on another day.

sincerely
        mrj2k

• #1961846 Reply

mrj2k
        AskWoody Lounger

EP,
        Thank you kindly for the Links you posted so i could read up on ie. They are very informative.

mrj2k

• #1960920 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

Installing Chrome / Firefox is a stress free experience, they even import all your favourites.

cheers, Paul

• #1961844 Reply

mrj2k
        AskWoody Lounger

Hi Paul T ,Thanks for the heads up on a new browser install being stress free and importing all my favourites. I am considering the chrome browser when i have time and i do have many favorites saved in ie. I need to research the best way of installing chrome on windows 7 but must say it does seem a bit crazy to get chrome all set up as i like it only to have windows 7 end of support date 4 months away. I will have a nice new browser running on an unsupported OS.

Thanks
        mrj2k

• #1962254 Reply

Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

seem a bit crazy to get chrome all set up as i like it only to have windows 7 end of support date 4 months away

That is not a problem. You can run W7 after end of support while you decide what you are going to do next.
          Either way, getting the CPU use down and not using IE are your priorities.

cheers, Paul

• #1961877 Reply

OscarCP
      AskWoody Plus

If the spikes are periodic and spaced a few minutes apart, that might have also something to do with the Antivirus. I had that problem when I was using Norton and was one of the reasons I changed to Webroot’s AV, but that was several years ago.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1, x64 Group B & macOS + Linux (Mint) => Win7 Group W(?) + Mac&Lx

• #1962078 Reply

mrj2k
        AskWoody Lounger

OscarCP Thanks for your input,
        The spikes start from the minute i am (online/my Homepage) and just a steady cpu of 13% spiking to around 32% constantly. Started doing this since around sept. 8th after i installed the august patches so a few days after woody gave the all clear word. As far as antivirus software,been using same one for years but what seems more important is in task manager/processes tab i only see one entry matching the cpu spikes and that is iexplore.exe*32 all the others are cpu 00. I have little knowledge in this area but it seems to be from whatever august ie security patches that installed in the rollup kb4512506 although i could be way off base?

• #1962226 Reply

anonymous

? says:

How many iexplore.exe*32’s are running in task manager, and have you checked “Enable Third Party Browser Extensions” in IE>Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab? you could run sysinternals Process Explorer and drill down from there, too…

• #1962607 Reply

anonymous

Sounds like the browser is busying itself being helpful. It may be “pre-fetching” active links from your homepage, in order to open a page faster when you click on a link. It has been a while since I used IE, so I may be using the wrong words for the idea. Look in IE preferences for a setting that would do this function and turn it off. See if that has an effect on spikes or running sustained high.

(reCAPTCH was stuck in a loop for several minutes, please forgive this duplicate comment)

• #1962625 Reply

mrj2k
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello all, Wanted to address some responses…
      1- How many iexplore.exe*32’s are running in task manager = just one
      2 -Have you checked “Enable Third Party Browser Extensions” in IE>Tools> = was enabled already
      3 -You can run W7 after end of support while you decide and getting the CPU use down and not using IE are your priorities = Got it!!

Thanks Paul T & anonymous

• #1962730 Reply

anonymous

Microsoft may have a common update problem on Win7 as well as Win10 ????

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-desktop-search-not-working-microsoft-update-resolved,40459.html

• #1962793 Reply

mrj2k
        AskWoody Lounger

anonymous,
        Funny you should post this issue because i have been reading about it for about 2 weeks now but everything i have seen online has only pointed to the windows 10 august patch as per the site you posted the link to but i am not seeing anything about this same cpu issue with windows 7 august patch so i just didn’t say anything here. With no others windows 7 users here posting about the cpu spikes after aug. patching i feel like i’m alone in the woods? If you find anything pointing to win.7 please do post the link as i will do the same.

Thank you kindly for digging for answers!!

• #1962818 Reply

mrj2k
        AskWoody Lounger

Wanted to add my thoughts after rereading the windows 10 patch/cpu spike Link posted by anonymous #1962730 and that is if microsoft is reacting as such about fixing the cpu issue caused by there aug. patch for windows 10 (the OS they have been forcing down out throats) than windows 7 users are on life support since come post January 14th microsoft gets to send us all down the river without a paddle and wash there hands in the water.

mrj2k

• #1962858 Reply

Paul T
      AskWoody MVP

There is another Internet Explorer bug that needs patching, so I would stop using it immediately and switch to Chrome.

cheers, Paul

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: CPU spikes after patching

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.