News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• CPU Upgrade – FPA775 socket – Q9650 or XENON

Home Forums AskWoody support PC hardware CPU Upgrade – FPA775 socket – Q9650 or XENON

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        WSrbsteinbach
        AskWoody Plus

Dumb questions:   My HP Elite 8000 is a little long in the tooth, but usually does what I need with its 16GB of RAM, Win10 20H2.  Looking at CPU upgrades – I have a Core2 Duo E8500 CPU now, and looks like I can use a Q9650 Intel CPU (per the tech manual), but I have also seen Xeon chips offered for less money that fit in the FPA 775 socket, too.  Can I do that?  Wil my existing Windows work, or need a re-install? Would it be faster or slower?  My wish list is for a new PC, but I recently retired and would like to make the existing stuff last as long as I can…  Any advice or warnings would be appreciated.

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

At around 10 years old I wouldn’t be swapping CPUs to try to gain a little speed.
        An SSD will make a very noticeable difference for not a lot of money, or start saving for an update next year.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
          WSrbsteinbach
          AskWoody Plus

Thanx, Paul and Microfix.

FYI: I upgraded to SSD for the boot drive over a year ago, and don’t plan on any other drive upgrades, nor do I have the interface for doing so.  Currently, the system has 16 GB RAM, main 1 TB SSD, auxiliary internal/swappable 4 TB spinning HD, USB 2 and USB 3 interfaces, and 1 Gig network interface.  I have two flat screen monitors — one on the HDMI/display port, and one with a KVM on the VGA port for connecting to my other main PC and the occasional laptop.

So far I haven’t gotten any feedback on Xeon vs Q9650 chips — more of a curiosity than a plan.

Thanx.

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

My adviice: if your PC has a rustic spinner (HDD) as a storage device, I’d be looking at upgrading to an SSD, SSHD or (NVMe with an adapter?) as the performance will be noticable immediately. Then you can migrate the 20H2 over to the new storage device. With this upgrade path, you also have the benefit of using of the existing HDD as a backup/external storage device whereas have a spare CPU laying around does nothing..

Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

NVMe (with an adapter?)

Be careful with this as you may not be able to boot from NVMe, depending on the age of the computer.

cheers, Paul

WSrbsteinbach
          AskWoody Plus

Thanx, Paul.  I already have a SATA SSD, and don’t plan to upgrade that part of the system to NVMe.

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

or start saving for an update next year.

surely you mean upgrade, although with WaaS, we never know 🙂

anonymous

LGA 771 to 775 Adapter (MOD) – Run faster Xeon CPUs in a Core 2 Quad motherboard

Looks like your Q45 chipset won’t work with the 5000 series LGA771 Xeons. Microcode updates for LGA771 Xeons could be a problem as well. Recommend you stick with a common Q9550/Q9650 or LGA775 Xeon X3360/X3370.

I run a Q9550 in my daily driver PC and it still works reasonably well with 8GB and a modern video card. I have no intentions of replacing until it dies.

WSrbsteinbach
          AskWoody Plus

Thanx for your reply to my question.  I agree that the less risky approach would be the Q9650, which is in the tech manual.  I was intrigued by the Xeon chips that showed up in my search for FPA775, especially since their prices are half to 2-thirds that of the Q9650 chips.  I think for now, I will look into the Q9650 chip — cheap upgrade which may address my occasional 100% CPU utilization which slows everything down.  Thanx again.

Rob

anonymous

I think you’d be quite happy with a Q9650. What are you doing for a video card if I may ask? If you are using onboard video or something really old, I may offer some suggestions. I have a ridiculous amount of experience keeping old Core 2 based machines viable…….

WSrbsteinbach
        AskWoody Plus

Thanx again.  I don’t do anything requiring more powerful video than what’s on the HP motherboard — mostly word, excel, some database stuff and text files.  No games.  Mostly just moving and manipulating large datafiles.  But if I find I need more video “oomph” I’ll be in touch.  I hadn’t clicked on the image file you provided earlier with the links to the techie website.  Much appreciated.

Moderator edit: Removed email address

anonymous

By switching to a dedicated video card you return memory bandwidth back to the CPU by disabling onboard shared memory video, something the Core 2 series needs all it can get. May I suggest something like a Dell AMD R5 240 (part# F9P1R) can be found on ebay for less then $20. This card takes current Windows drivers, has great Linux support, and will improve your experience cheaply.

WSrbsteinbach
          AskWoody Plus

Thanx again for your suggestions.  I finally got the new Q9650 chip and installed it this afternoon.  The biggest problem I had been having was 100% CPU when running VirtualBox on either a X86 or X64 VM, and now that is not a problem any more.  The most I have experienced, during the latest Windows Update on the VM is under 90% CPU, so I can still do other stuff on the “real” machine.  I wish I’d done this a couple of years ago!

Again, many thanx for your suggestions and observations!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: CPU Upgrade – FPA775 socket – Q9650 or XENON

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.