News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Create Backup Solution on a 2nd Home

Home Forums Networking – routers, firewalls, network configuration Create Backup Solution on a 2nd Home

• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Author
        joao_h
        AskWoody Plus

Hi everyone,

My 1st post here after years of langalist, windowssecrets and now askwoody, all invaluable resources. Fortunately never needed to ask much since google started to answer almost all the questions imaginable. But I guess now I must be doing the wrong questions to Google, so here they are, to any of you gentleman that can give some help/hint

I need a decentralized backup in a different house & network than mine

The purpose is to have some form of backup in that 2nd house and network, and make backups daily (once)

At home I have a regular desktop & laptop (both windows 10 home & pro)
        At 2nd home I have a laptop (windows xp 4gb 🙁 … I’ll have to buy a storage system

What hardware do you recommend for 2nd home? (raspberry? Nas?)

What software?
        Instructions to connect everything (links, maybe?)

thanks everyone, hope this is the right place to post this, if not just give me an hint and I’ll post it elsewhere

• #2266361 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

The first priority is to find backup software that will still run on XP

There are several good free backup software programs. They have their own scheduler, or you can schedule the backup in Task Scheduler. Macrium Reflect Free, Ease US Todo, and Aomei Backupper are some of our recommended. But they may not run on XP.

You can set up full backups of a combination or full and incremental from within the backup software. You can also designate how many past backups you want to save, so you don’t fill up your destination media.

For destination media I use a NAS drive and an external HDD (spinner). I have no experience with the Raspberry Pi.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2266375 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

The cheapest is a USB hard disk, but you have to connect and disconnect manually.
        The easiest is a home NAS, always ready but may be susceptible to ransomware.

Single drive consumer grade NAS start around $100 compared to about $50 for USB.

cheers, Paul

• #2266410 Reply
        mn–
        AskWoody Lounger

One thing, just to clarify…

The purpose is to have some form of backup in that 2nd house and network, and make backups daily (once)

So, do you mean that you need to make automated offsite backups from house 1, to automatically be stored on a device at house 2?

That network element might be the primary challenge here.

The first priority is to find backup software that will still run on XP

… though older versions of many of these should still be around. A Windows XP system reachable over the network from another house, though… even just for storing backups… if this was what you wanted…?

Running local-only backups at house 2 would be a much simpler case.

Anyway, there are several ways to do this, from full-up sync-enabled NAS products (from several different vendors) to all kinds of DIY projects. I’d think we’d need more specifics before being able to get anywhere on what’d be feasible for your case, or cost-effective…

How much data, what kind of a network setup, budget constraints, etc…?

• #2266558 Reply
        Michael432
        AskWoody_MVP

For copying files from one location to the other, on a schedule, automatically, I would go with a NAS in each location and let software on the NAS handle the job. Synology and QNAP are the big players. A single bay NAS should be fine. Be aware that Synology has many competing backups programs and figuring out the difference could be a hassle. Not sure about QNAP. You can also have the NAS devices powered on/off on a schedule.

For manually copying files, a site to site VPN would securely connect each location, but you need routers at each end that can handle this. The site-to-site connection can be manually made, used for copying files, then dis-connected.

Get up to speed on router security at RouterSecurity.org

• #2267100 Reply
          joao_h
          AskWoody Plus

Thanks All,

I’m beginning to be inclined to the following solution

Regular file storage (ssd, externals, etc) for me within my home system, my network and a 2nd NAS at another house, connected directly to the ISP router provider of that house, without any PC connection. That way nobody in the house needs to do anything.

The trouble is I never used none of this stuff. Always had onsite backups, and I don’t want to use a cloud service, for now at least.

• #2267125 Reply
            PaulK
            AskWoody Lounger

What is the proximity of the two houses – next door, block away, … ?

• #2267130 Reply
            Paul T
            AskWoody MVP

Cloud services are OK for small data backups, assuming you use encrypted backups, but not great for disk images as it takes a looong time to upload all that data.

Some routers have a USB port on them that you can plug a portable hard disk into and then share with users. What router is at the 2nd home?

cheers, Paul

• #2267175 Reply
              mn–
              AskWoody Lounger

Heh, the one thing where cloud should have an advantage over a peer-to-peer copy over public net, is exactly transfer speed…

• #2267256 Reply
            joao_h

@paulK distance is 100 miles

@paulT regular ISP router (dunno the brand)

• #2267471 Reply
        joao_h
        AskWoody Plus

Could some of you guys post your solution to this problem? Thanks.

• #2267573 Reply
          mn–
          AskWoody Lounger

If I was doing this right now?

I’d grab a microserver chassis and a suitable UPS from a local retailer, put some disks in the chassis and set it up as a Linux server with software RAID. Probably ZFS with copy-on-write, compression and snapshots for the volume the backups would be put on… maybe dedup too. Authenticated file share for the backups as primary, Syncthing as secondary transfer method.

Then I’d take those and my current backup broadband router (offline spare) to the secondary location, put the router on dynamic dns (fixed name!) and turn on the OpenVPN server (yes, properly authenticated). It’ll also send me a notification when its public IP changes, even if the dynamic dns fails.

So, set up a narrow-target VPN from site 1, targeting only the site 2 subnet, and I should be able to just copy stuff over, as uncompressed as possible so ZFS can do its compressed dedup thing.

Then order another of the good router model as a fresh offline spare 😉

• #2268231 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

Joao, what exactly do you want?
        An internet connected remote backup solution as proposed by @mn above, or a local, always available disk?

cheers, Paul

• #2268351 Reply
          joao_h
          AskWoody Plus

@paul-t
          @mn

Connected remote backup system. I dont have experience with Linux but have an old xp laptop that could prove useful if there’s a light distro available that could manage the demands.

nevertheless, the backup wouldn’t be on everyday, max once a week the 2nd computer would be turned on (by a family member), and accessed by me in order to do the backups. Of course everything would have to be mounted by me, but at the moment I already have my place, a 2nd place, internet, what I don’t have is the necessary logistics to implement a  solution, thus asking for your help/suggestions.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by joao_h.
          • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PKCano.
      • #2268360 Reply
        joao_h
        AskWoody Plus

@paul-t internet connected backup

@mn i dont have any experience in linux, but have an old xp laptop that might be converted to a light linux distro that supports the demands

I plan to run the backup once a week or so, so no need for an always on machine. My main decision concerns what gear/software combo to install in order to have a decent backup solution with minimal fuss for me or the people that lives in the other house.

• #2268625 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

You want to backup your device to the remote site, or you want to connect to the remote site to run a local backup?

The former would be better served by a regular image backup to a USB HDD and then a selective backup to cloud storage.
        The latter can be done with software running a scheduled backup to a networked HDD. No user intervention required and you can connect via TeamViewer et al to check the backup is still running.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 8 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Create Backup Solution on a 2nd Home

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.