News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Create Local Account with 1809 install

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Windows 10 version 1809 – September 2018 Update Create Local Account with 1809 install

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  doriel 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Tex265
      AskWoody Plus

I have been researching things to be aware of in the event I move from 1803 to 1809.

I install selecting a Local Account vs Microsoft Account.

There are quite a few complaints about 1809 “hiding” the ability to install with a local account vs a Microsoft account.

Seems the answer is allow the Windows Updater download/install, but disconnect from the internet (cable or wi-fi) before rebooting.  No internet connection forces 1809 to produce the Offline Account creation screen.

Is this correct?  Anything else?

Windows 10 Pro x64 v1903 and Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64
    • #1985585 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

If you are upgrading you don’t have to worry about that. Your local account is part of the upgrade. You can do an upgrade from Windows Update. Or you can access the install media from inside the current running Operating System and execute suetp.exe. You will have the choice of keeping your progerms and data. Your account will be the same as before.

If you are doing a clean install, you should boot from the install media. If you do this, you should disconnect from the Internet until the install is complete, you have created a local account, and changed all the settings to your liking. Then connect and update.

• #1986335 Reply

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

In Windows 1809 when installing from scratch, there is option to click “Not now” or “Skip” when setup is asking for network connection (in the bottom left corner). Then you will create local account. And When installing from MediaCreationTool, there you can choose:

You will have the choice of keeping your progerms and data

as PKCano wrote.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
        --- Thomas A. Edison

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Create Local Account with 1809 install

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Cancel