• Creating System Recovery Disk with a Windows 7 installation disk

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Creating System Recovery Disk with a Windows 7 installation disk

Author
    Topic

Running Windows 10, MS Office 2019. I’m trying to create a systems recovery disk. Windows tells me that the installation information is not found and i should use a Windows 7 installation disk.

A. Windows 10 was installed as a corporate buy. Therefore, i don’t have an installation disk.

B. The Windows 7 installation disk was lost long ago.

Is there a way around this issue?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

The Microsoft Windows 10 (W10, and W8.1 IIRC) installation media .iso files include a “repair this PC” (or words to that effect) in the bottom left corner of the 2nd or 3rd screen from the start of running this installer. (The 1st screen is select language and keyboard type – from memory.) From memory there is a large, prominent “install” button in the middle of the screen and a much smaller, less prominent “repair” link in the lower left corner labelled with darker text.

So you will need to download the W10 installation .iso from the Microsoft site or using the Heidoc tool (which allows you to download older versions as well as the current versions). I don’t know if you need the same version of installer (Home, Pro or whatever) as currently installed on the PC, but it probably makes sense to.

If you download recent versions of W10 these are too large to be burnt to a traditional 4.7GB DVD (similar to the W7 recovery disks of old), so you will need to put this stuff on a (8GB or) larger USB memory stick. (I don’t know if the W10 recovery stuff has changed much with different versions of W10, but you might be able to use the Heidoc tool to download an older W10 installation media which is/was small enough to fit on a DVD and use the “repair” option from it. This could be a bit riskier. but you might get away with it.)

If you put the installation media on a USB stick you may need to change the order of bootable devices in your BIOS (or EUFI or whatever) to be able to boot from the USB stick. If like me you often start your PC with a USB stick not containing installation media, just other data plugged in, then it is better to not change boot order permanently, but to just temporarily change the order at PC start up. Different PC models do this differently in detail. For example the Dell Optiplex 790 where I’m writing this, needs the F12 key to be pressed a few times at startup to bring up a menu to allow me to temporarily select disk drives out of the normal priority order to continue booting from. Your PC make and model might need something different.

The W10 installation media “repair this PC” thing gives options similar to a W7 repair disk e.g. an “automatic repair”, a “command prompt” option etc. In my limited experience the W10 “automatic repair” did not work for my problem, but I have successfully repaired the boot stuff using the “command prompt” on a couple of occasions, so this is better than nothing. I guess it just depends what you possible future problem might be as to whether the “automatic repair” thing will work.

HTH.

Are you using the Windows tool (type recoverydrive into the taskbar search box).. or something you found on the PC which might date from Windows 7?

If that’s the case, that would figure as if you did a Windows 10 digital entitlement upgrade in the early days, Windows 10 setup sliced a bit of the end of drive C away and fashioned the Windows 10 recovery partition there – which means the partition which held the original Windows 7 OEM recovery data is now one partition on from the position it was;  the position the creation program expects to find the data.

It’s probably not worth trying to fix that though I have done so on some to go back to 7 and remove some problematic software before upgrading again where something useful was built into the original installation – the option to create a Windows 10 recovery as above should work, and if not get the Windows 10 download from Microsoft and look to if there is actually anything you use you couldn’t download again – You should have your Microsoft account details for the Office 2019 (even if they are stuck to an invoice or such) or effectively you don’t have the product if the installation fails – you just log in to the office account and download a fresh copy from there having removed the original installation from the list of PCs using the license. Your PC’s Windows licensing should sort itself as soon as it sees the Internet; worst case you might need to find a product key and type it in but that’s unlikely. Given the situation maybe a VBS script could get the key just in case (given AV attitudes to Nirsoft products..)

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-windows-10-product-key-using-vb-script

If you have none of the details then the only remaining option is to do a full disk backup and save anything crucial on another media as well. That way as long as the hardware doesn’t change you should be able to restore the software to a fixed point to try again..

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/forum/askwoody-support/backup/

1 user thanked author for this post.

Thanks for the help. Resolved. Tedious but fixed.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Creating System Recovery Disk with a Windows 7 installation disk

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use all available BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.