News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Data Recovery Software (suggestions?)

Posted on DaveYVR Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Data Recovery Software (suggestions?)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  DaveYVR 4 weeks ago.

• Author

DaveYVR
      AskWoody Lounger

Hello,

This question is a result of my recent near success at fixing a corrupted drive.

Using chkdsk, some of my files were not recovered and put into a hidden folder called dir0000.chk. EaseUS was able to see this hidden directory/partition/whatever it is, but windows does not see it. I almost purchased EaseUS, but their fee structure is uncertain.  So I’m looking at alternatives.  This site lists several free/try before you buy alternatives, and I was wondering if people here had any thoughts or alternative suggestions on data recovery software. Free or paid, all suggestions are welcome:

https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. (chatter) : Regarding EaseUS, depending whether you purchase from within the program or from their website, you get two different fees. One say $70 to purchase outright, the other says $70 for a monthly subscription.

• #1918405 Reply

geekdom
      AskWoody Plus

This isn’t data recovery software, but it may assist you in looking at file structure and space allocation:
      https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

Group G{ot backup} TestBeta
      Win7Pro · x64 · SP1 · i3-3220 · RAM 8GB · Firefox: uBlock Origin - NoScript · HDD · Canon Printer · Microsoft Security Essentials · Windows: Backup - System Image - Rescue Disk - Firewall
      1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1918406 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Try this to be able to see the recovered file folder in Windows:

Control Panel\Folder Options
      On the View tab
      Check “Show hidden files, folders”
      Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”
      Click “Apply”

When you get through, re-check “Hide protected operating system files.” Otherwise you will see stuff you do not need to see.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1918466 Reply

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

You’ll probably want to Open any file(s) with Notepad or WordPad. If the fragment was originally textual you may be able to identify it, and possibly recover it if still needed. If not, then it’s a guess. Generally these ‘chk’s are discardable.

• #1918504 Reply

DaveYVR
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks for your assist. However, I’m not quite sure I understand what you’re driving at.

If I understand correctly, your stating that the files chkdsk moved into this folder for corrupt files are essentially corrupt and unusable, and that a text editor may be able to help identify files whose filename and properties were not retained?

Thx

• #1918792 Reply

anonymous

Yes, sometimes intact whole files are recovered by check disk.

• #1919082 Reply

anonymous

PaulK is right. The Check Disk (CHKDSK) files that were salvaged had lost their pointers and so CHKDSK put the orphaned clusters in a folder. Try looking at them. If it is “in English” and readable, you may be able to copy/paste to a notepad or Word doc and rebuild some of your data. Otherwise you will see “machine code” which looks like hieroglyphs.

CHKDSK was a good idea, but in 20/20 hindsight, GRC SpinRite would had been a good choice because it will try and recover the actual sector/cluster and REPAIR it. If it can’t it would then copy what it could read to a good sector. It tries MANY times to read the data and does a good job succeeding.

Drive errors are not fun. I hope you have good luck in recovering your data.

• #1918505 Reply

DaveYVR
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks PKCano,

That is actually the first thing I tried, but I went back to make sure I had shown system files. Sometimes I miss that one.

I had enabled it fortunately, and nothing related to these files or directories reported by EaseUS was shown in the windows directory structure. So some how these are hidden from windows and only revealed by a deeper scan.

Oh lord, strike that!  You might have well have asked me if my computer was plugged in.  I got my checkmarks reversed.  I actually had it checked so that it would hide system files. Rookie mistake.

In any case, I can now see the found.000 directory, however it is not accessible. I must need some elevated permissions. Will look into that.

Cheers,

Dave

Edit: looked into it….sigh 🙁

permissions

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  DaveYVR.
        Attachments:
    • #1918533 Reply

MrJimPhelps
      AskWoody_MVP

Did you try booting the computer with Linux Live? Linux sometimes can recover files that Windows can’t.

Go to any of the Linux distro websites, and create an install DVD. Then boot to the DVD. Then try to look at the files using Linux file explorer. Also, you can probably copy them from the current folder to another folder, which may make them accessible when you go back to Windows.

To get back to Windows, reboot the computer without the DVD in the drive.

Group "L" (Linux Mint)
      with Windows 8.1 running in a VM
    • #1919284 Reply

DaveYVR
      AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Jim,

Finally I did not need to go down that Linux disro road. I’m not sure what that windows error was pertaining to, however the restrictions on the directory were fixed when I adjusted the security settings for the folder. I was able to access it afterwards. And now everything is right as rain. I retrieved the files I needed directly through windows without using any data recovery software.  Thanks very much PKCano for pointing out my 22 inch error and ultimately giving me the means to recover all the data I need.

In any case, I think the topic is still relevant. I would like, for the future, to have peoples opinions on Data Recovery software since it appears many people here have experience in dealing with drive errors and corruption.

Have a nice weekend all.

• #1919383 Reply

anonymous

Dave, that is good to hear you had success. Just mentioning you may had missed posts #1918792 & #1919082 sandwiched above.

• #1919613 Reply

DaveYVR
          AskWoody Lounger

Thanks anonymous. Yes indeed I had missed those!

Cheers,

Dave

• #1920162 Reply

Aomei Partition Assistant is decent (not their Backerupper).   [EDITED – REFER LOUNGE RULES] There’s an option to copy a partition sector by sector, or ‘copy’ (fast).   Id think that might be easiest as you can take the data from your failing drive, and copy it to your functional, easy peazy.

https://www.disk-partition.com/download.html

DL v8.0 and PM me for some additional pointers.  The link above is from their OFFICAL website.  VT and Metadefender note clean.

• #1920793 Reply

DaveYVR
        AskWoody Lounger

Thanks Bertram,

I’ve put myself behind on several other tasks so I will need to take my concentration away from the data recovery for a while to get other things back on track.  I will try and remember to get in touch with you next month some time. If you don’t hear from me, please don’t take it personally. Fall gets very busy for me with yard and house maintenance, Halloween, etc.  If we don’t touch base in a reasonable amount of time, feel free to give me a little nudge in pm. It’s likely I just lost sight of one of the 20 balls I’m juggling. 🙂

And again, thanks for all your suggestions and assist. It really was your initial comment on the chkdsk thread that settled my mind and allowed me to be patient through the rest of the process. Without your assurances about privileges, I think I probably would have force stopped the operation and started all over with elevated privileges.

Cheers,

Dave

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Data Recovery Software (suggestions?)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.