News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Deanna’s Freeware Spotlight: SwiftSearch

Home Forums AskWoody blog Deanna’s Freeware Spotlight: SwiftSearch

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 5 months ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

Tired of trying to get Windows’ slow search routine to cooperate with your hard drive? Take a look at SwiftSearch, the freeware pick of the week from
      [See the full post at: Deanna’s Freeware Spotlight: SwiftSearch]

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #1702218 Reply

JustAsking
      AskWoody Plus

There is a similar excellent free tool which has been around for a long while: “Everything” by voidtools:

https://www.voidtools.com/downloads/

I have used it for years. Very fast. Not very resource consuming  You can search for filenames and part of filenames (but not content of files).

• #1705228 Reply

dwallace115
        AskWoody Plus

You beat me to the punch.  I’ve used Voidtools ‘Everything’ for years and run it as a service.  It’s always there in the tray and helps me locate files and folders I’ve forgotten where I’ve stashed them.

I will however give this suggestion a try and compare both.  Thanks!

d

• #1703419 Reply

garycahn
      AskWoody Plus

Norton Security  has flagged the oldergeeks web site as being dangerous

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #1703654 Reply

Microfix
        Da Boss

I think it pertains to just one file (don’t download it as a precaution) the website is ok otherwise. The website maintainer needs to look into it.
        Probably a false+ (await response from Deanna)
        norton

Update from oldergeeks:

Wow, that’s an old one. Taking care of it. Thanks. -Randy

nortonreply

********** Win7 x64/x86 | Win8.1 x64 | Linux Hybrids x64 **********

Attachments:
        2 users thanked author for this post.
        • #1705447 Reply

OlderGeeks.com
          AskWoody Plus

Sorry about Nirsoft’s Access PassView  tripping Norton’s panic alarm. We removed the file although it is perfectly safe. I hope they don’t do the same to Nirsoft since it is an awesome utility that has been on our site for years. -Deanna OlderGeeks.com

OlderGeeks.com - No ads, no crapware, no b.s.

4 users thanked author for this post.
      • #1705786 Reply

anonymous

You should report obvious FPs to Symantec.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #1719453 Reply

stub1955
      AskWoody Plus

How does one remove this software? There is no control panel entry and the folder placed on the desk top can not be deleted. I don’t find any entry in the program files either. Guess i’ll have to try and find it in the registery.

• #1723985 Reply

anonymous

@ stub1955: “the folder placed on the desk top can not be deleted”

Are you sure you used SwiftSearch ? SwiftSearch itself does NOT create any folders.

SwiftSearch is a “no-install” program. You simply click on the executable file to launch it, w/o having to undergro an installation process. (Note that the developer does not supply any installer version for SwiftSearch.)

And since SwiftSearch doesn’t write any settings (or any other junk) to the filesystem or registry, SwiftSearch also qualifies as “portable” — ie. you can easily move the EXE file & run it from a thumbdrive (or another disk partition).

To remove SwiftSearch, exit the program, navigate to the location where you downloaded the single EXE, & delete the file. Assuming you didn’t change the filename, it should either be SwiftSearch.exe (32-bit version), or SwiftSearch64.exe (64-bit version).

If the EXE file is locked, make sure that you hadn’t accidentally minimized SwiftSearch to the system tray (eg. by pressing ESC), & left it running in the background.

If SwiftSearch is at the system tray, double-click its icon to bring it to the foreground, & click the X on its titlebar to exit the program. You can proceed to delete the EXE file.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Deanna’s Freeware Spotlight: SwiftSearch

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.