News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Deep frozen Win 7

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 7 Questions: Windows 7 Deep frozen Win 7

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Author
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

I haven’t changed my opinion of Win 10, from that you may infer that I’m not enamored. So the HP Spectre is still a paper-weight, and I have decided to stick with 7.1 using 0Patch.

After installing the program I saw that the January 2020 rollup for Windows 7 had to be installed. I checked Windows Update and saw that it had not been installed, why? I have no idea. No big deal, I got a copy from Microsoft and ran it using Windows Update.

It looked like it was going to install, the progress bar appeared, then nothing happened. I waited, and waited, maybe 5 or 6 minutes went by, still nothing. I tried to abort, couldn’t do it. Tried to close Win Update, couldn’t do it. Tried CTRL-ALT-DEL, nothing. The machine was frozen so finally I pressed the power button. Nothing happened. To shut the machine down I had to pull the power and remove the battery too.
        Since then I have only been able to get it to boot into Safe Mode. I still didn’t think this would be too big a problem, I have made regular images of the machine with Easeus Backup. So…in Safe Mode, I tried to run the Restore program. I got a popup “Easeus cannot run in Safe Mode.” For years I’ve been making images religiously, and the very first time I need it, I can’t even start the program. This is something that Easeus might have made clear.
        So how to get out of this hole? I have heard rumours of a ‘Repair Restore’ (I think that’s the name). I have a USB boot disk with a Win 7.1 image. I booted with it. That led me through several arcane steps, the final one being ‘Restore’. No mention of Repair, but this boot disk, and the image, was made in 2016! I have very recent images which are on an external USB drive, but no way to restore using them. (I had assumed that the boot disk would get me to a command prompt and from there I’d  get to restore using the latest image.) Does this mean that each time you make an image you need to make a new boot disk?
        So now it would seem that I have to restore to Win 7.1 circa 2016, and then run the Easeus Restore to bring Windows up to date using the latest image. Is this the best/only way to recover the system? The other question that occurs to me is will the 2016 version of Window boot up now?
        Rhino

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Rhino.
      • #2298708 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

You cannot restore from within the running computer. You have to boot from the EaseUS Rescue disk and access the image to restore it. The EaseUS Rescue disk will run a copy of EaseUS backup software from the disk (not the computer), then you point it at the external backup drive with the images are stored and restore.

• #2298724 Reply
        Rhino
        AskWoody Plus

Thank you for your response Boss. I am booting from the Easeus Rescue disk. and there is an image on that same disk. But that image was made in 2016.

After booting using the Rescue disk, a little DOS-type window. (Input using Tab and arrow keys) 1st screen The only options were: Backup, Restore, Validate. I went with Restore
        2nd screen: File Access. File direct, File OS, File CD/DVD. I chose File direct.
        3rd screen: Select drive interface: Physical, Virtual. I chose Physical
        4th screen: Restore from, MDI, USB. I chose USB
        5th screen: Select File location, IFU, **Active**, (01) 122103 MiB. I chose the last.

The last screen was a full screen, “Restore from…”.

Below that is; ‘Name’ in an input box, so presumably a name is needed.                             Below that is: ‘Files’

2 files are listed:-efi <DIR> 3/07/16 and HP Backup 2016-03-07.TBI (Both options, if they are options, are dated 2016)

Way down near the bottom left of the screen there is: \*.TBI

And below that is OK or Cancel.

So the next step was to start the restore, at which point I thought I’d ask. At no point did I get to choose an image on the external drive which was plugged into another USB port.

Any further suggestions? Can I for instance create a new rescue disk with no images on it, would I then get to choose an image from the external drive?

Rhino

Viewing 2 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Deep frozen Win 7

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.