Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Defender Auto Updates stopped

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Defender Auto Updates stopped

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  anonymous 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

anonymous

Is Microsoft trying to lure me to update manually on a metered connection to trigger “seeker” status? (Win 10 home.)

Last time I updated definitions manually I got an unwanted OS update soon after.

What do you think – is my tin foil hat on too tightly?

• #224368 Reply

anonymous

Anon*2 inquiring, is this Day 1 of failure?

What is the currently installed definition?

Earlier today, definition 1.277.1037.0 was most current.

• #224375 Reply

BobbyB
      AskWoody Lounger

@anonymous let me guess either Win 10 1803 or 1809? wouldn’t worry to much, if that’s the case, seems to go about 5-6 days without Auto update of the Defender signature updates, if your on Home and Pro from what I can discern. Win7 hasn’t had too many just lately sometimes missing a day or two.
      If you have Win10 Pro and above with it set to 30 and 365 in settings and the Group Policy set to notify before install its about the same.
      With Metered set its ok to check or be a “Seeker” so long as your sure there’s nothing else waiting you can check with wushowide or WUMT (Windows update Mini Tool) before taking a deep breath and hitting the “Seek” Button. There’s no need to take it off Metered unless its a big update and it wont download.

• #225815 Reply

anonymous

Anon*2 again. It is unlikely you are still checking back a week later. But I’ve read where @mcbsys posted an update to another topic earlier today and I recalled your difficulty.
      mcbsys appears to be operating normally now, without actively repairing the failure. Hope you are similarly relieved.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Defender Auto Updates stopped

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.