News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Defender Offline scan doesn’t complete

Posted on Cof1restrwr Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Defender Offline scan doesn’t complete

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
        Cof1restrwr
        AskWoody Plus

I recently purchased a new PC with Windows 10 Home version 1909 installed.

I have tried out the Windows Defender Offline scan several times,  but it never completes. After three minutes of a churning green bar, the scan begins, its progress being displayed in a command-type window. It gets up to 91%, then the increase in the ‘files scanned’ figure falters and stops. After about half a minute, the figure shows a few jerky further increases, then the command window fades away — still on 91% — leaving a blank screen.

When Windows Defender restarts the computer, and I check the scan history, there is no record of the aborted scan, and no indication of why it crashed.

What might the cause be?  Is there a solution I can try?

• #2211381 Reply
        PKCano
        Da Boss

Windows Defender has been experiencing problems lately.
        See this thread and this thread.

And for the latest version, See this one.

You can use the search box in the right hand panel to look for related items.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Viewing 1 reply thread

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Defender Offline scan doesn’t complete

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.