News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Defender update download error

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Defender update download error

Topic Resolution: Resolved
    • This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 2 days ago by anonymous.
    Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Author
        Dave
        AskWoody Plus

Just this morning I’ve been getting repeated download errors on a security update:

Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus – KB2267602 (Version 1.337.41.0)

Normally these are pretty trouble free, just wondering if anyone else was seeing this error.

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Same here on Win7 ESU with MSE and Win8.1 with Defender.
        It seems to rectify itself if you try again after 5 mins although instead of a small delta patch, a full update is issued 95mb or greater to overwrite the issue.
        Both are fine here now, with delta patches streaming in as normal.

If you are still having problems, download the respective update from the
        Microsoft Security Update site. Which will rectify the issue.

W10, the itch you simply cannot scratch!
        valleygreen22
        AskWoody Lounger

I’m getting the same error. Tried several times with the same error each time. Waiting awhile before I try again,

PKCano
        Manager

Checked here about 15 minutes ago on 20H2 Pro. Getting an error also. Retry didn’t fix.

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

if at first you don’t succeed…..

Tony H
        AskWoody Plus

I too had this problem this morning. A quick google of the error code (0x80070643) told me that the problem was to do with dot.Net 4 being corrupt or possibly some of the update files were missing. It went through okay on the third attempt. But I have had a couple of updates fail first time since  I updated to 20H2.

Dave
        AskWoody Plus

Thanks all, just retried and seems to have been fixed/bypassed/whatever.

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

I run into this sort of thing (failed definition download, aborted scan) 1 or 2 times a year on W7 and W8.1. As noted above the “fix” is to either wait until the next definition update is issued or – sometimes – to download the definitions manually. I don’t have that link here right now since I’m on my Mint 19.2 daily driver, but google ‘windows defender manual definition update’ and you’ll find it.

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

..as in the link posted above and before your post? 🙂

DrBonzo
            AskWoody Plus

That would be the one. There are other posts before mine and after yours that seemed to me to be indicating that a “retry” wasn’t solving the problem. But it was not clear to me whether the “retry” was clicking the ‘Update’ button again, or going to the manual download site. So my intent was to try to reassure those people that both methods had worked for me in the past, and would likely work for them in the present, but not to upstage anything you had posted. 🙂

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

I just had to confirm with the button “Install now”, it works now.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

1 user thanked author for this post.
        anonymous

I think the problem had to do with these definition updates being cumulative back to the beginning of the series (i.e. definitions with a version 335 vs 337, etc.). Normally, when the version series changes, like from 335 to 337, the first update you receive in the new series will be cumulative back to the beginning of the previous series (335), so that the definition update KB2267602 (Version 1.337.41.0) should have been cumulative back to the beginning of the previous version 1.335.xxxx.0. This lets the platform know that the update is just a continuation of updates from a previous series. Subsequently, future updates in the 337 series will only be cumulative back to the beginning of the 337 series, after that first one is successfully installed. But KB2267602 (Version 1.337.41.0) was not cumulative back to the beginning of the 335 series like it should have been when initially released and downloaded. It therefore could not be installed because the platform regarded it as a new application, rather than a continuation of updates (this was also true for whatever version was your first version in the new 337 series). When it initially failed to install, Windows Update subsequently then pulled and downloaded the larger version that was cumulative back to the previous series, which installed successfully. In analyzing the nature of the error description, I found that the platform was unable to validate the update because it appeared to be a new application, rather than an update to an existing one, and thus prevented it from installing. This only happens when the version series changes to a new series and the first in the new series is not cumulative back to the previous series, thereby letting the system know that it is just a continuation of definition updates.

DrBonzo
          AskWoody Plus

I can corroborate that. Over the last few days on 3 W7 and 2 W8.1 computers the first attempt at updating from 335 to 337 was shown as failed in Windows Update even though it was shown as a successful update in MSE (W7) or Defende (W8.1). Subsequent retries on each computer failed until the next update version in the 337 series became available, at which point the update was successful (also quite large and slow to install)

Microfix
        AskWoody MVP

Happened again earlier today on two separate Win8.1 installations..
        Defender version 1.1.18100.6
        11.9mb defender update failed, then ~94mb update downloaded, all ok now but…

anonymous

Mine failed to update automatically, had to manually download the updates

DrBonzo
        AskWoody Plus

@Microfix Make sure you check for the (other) Defender bug (https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/ghacks-report-defender-bug/). One of my 8.1 computers got hit with it – and I also noticed the bug to which you just referred.

Microfix
          AskWoody MVP

yup read that, and no indications of those issue here.
          Back to BitDefender if this cluster**** continues.

MSE on Win7 is ok here with delta patches.

MSE

Attachments:
    Viewing 10 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Defender update download error

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.