News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Delay in signing in to forums

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge Delay in signing in to forums

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  access-mdb 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Zig
      AskWoody Plus

At least a year after the forums have been up and running I am still noticing a significant and reproducible lag when signing on to the forums which I use on a regular basis. This only occurs if I was logged in to my account. If I am not logged in, I am transferred to the forums immediately. I am noticing the current patterns:

Windows 10 Forum: 15 seconds
      Windows Maintenance Forum: 8 seconds
      Code Red Forum: 2 seconds
      Ask Woody: Instantaneous

The delays happen whether or not I have visited any or all of the forums mentioned during the current browsing session. I know that 15 seconds does not seem like a very long time, but when it occurs every browsing session it can certainly be frustrating. I presume that the delay is somewhere in the user recognition process, as it does not occur if I am accidentally kicked out of my login.

Hope you can help with this,
      Zig

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • #2041459 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

I’m seeing the same thing. In fact, I go looking for forums so frequently that I’m using a different browser — which isn’t logged in to AskWoody — to find the forum I want.

I find that having a browser bookmark on my most-frequently-visited forums cuts through the sludge. No idea why.

Lemme check with the devs.

• #2086071 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

The devs found a caching problem that may be more-or-less fixed.

The difference in load times isn’t nearly as bad as it once was for me, anyway.

• #2041529 Reply

anonymous

Browser bookmark (Firefox) makes no difference for me.

Zig

• #2085944 Reply

Northwest Rick
      AskWoody Plus

G’day ~ I would like to register a gripe about WordPress.

I am keenly interested in a topic Woody mentioned specifically in a recent AskWoody alert:

“For those of you still on Windows 7, which gets its last security patch on January 14, there’s also no reason to panic…  (We’ll be covering that topic extensively in Computerworld and AskWoody over the coming weeks.)”

This is the first day since Monday (Jan 13, 2020) that I have not had my access to this site blocked by WordFence, which provokes escalating responses from annoyance to frustration to hitting the ceiling!

I am aware that your service has difficulty dealing with VPN’s, and I have tried to avoid offending it, but it seems to me the security barrier is far too severe.

First, I am using NordVPN, not some fringe network.

Second, I pre-screen the NordVPN servers I use via https://whatismyipaddress.com/.  It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to find one that NO blacklist site objects to.  You can make book that dnsbl.spfbl.net, for one, will find 99.9% of all servers deficient, so I ignore that one.  I do not use any server that has more than two total dings against it (counting dnsbl.spfbl.net, out of what, 70+?), and no other site I visit objects to the ones I use.

Third, I don’t have VPN in the router, I use the network’s PC dashboard instead.  This means I choose from a rotating list of servers as the first item of business for the day, confirm the speed is reasonably close to what my unfiltered native DSL provides, and call it good.  If I later get blocked by AskWoody, I am not going to drop my connection to my online broker and everything else just to go on a hunt for a different server that works on AskWoody.  Instead, I write the day off and hope for better luck tomorrow.  As I said, this week I had to write off three days before I found success on the fourth.

Surely we can do better!  Would it be possible to provide a limited portal in the WordFence block window for those of us who do not have WordFence subscriber access, through which a user like myself can verify site sign-in credentials and bypass the block?

Thanks!

• #2085954 Reply

woody
        Da Boss

I don’t use Wordfence subscriber access. But I do use PIA – Private Internet Access. From time to time, one of the exit nodes gets blocked. When that happens, I just turn off the VPN – or, at worst, connect to a different node.

We get hit with hundreds of malicious IPs every day. I don’t know of any other way to protect the site. Do you?

4 users thanked author for this post.
        • #2085975 Reply

Northwest Rick
          AskWoody Plus

I don’t know of any other way to protect the site. Do you?

LOL  That’s like the cabbie in Munich asking me “I don’t know of any shorter way to this hotel.  Do you?” after I complained about the “scenic route” he just treated me to for a few extra €’s, in a city to which I am a stranger (I just knew from the scale of the city, the location of the train station, the lack of traffic snarls and noticing the same scenery heading in the opposite direction, that it should not have taken half an hour!)

In general, I am not given to complaining, I prefer to solve my own problems and devise my own work-arounds, then move on.  But this is a technical matter in which I have little experience and no expertise.  I have searched for flaws in what I am doing, and tried everything I can think of, but the problem persists.

I was looking for something more than “there is nothing to be done, we just have to live with things as they are”.  That may well be the inescapable conclusion, I don’t know.  If I am hearing you correctly, that seems to be what you are saying.  If so, I will demote this matter out of the category of things I give a spit about, and  learn to live with hit-or-miss access to AskWoody.com.

No worries, I will not drone on about this, in the form of endless nastygrams!

From time to time, one of the exit nodes gets blocked. When that happens, I…  connect to a different node.

I have no idea what that means!

I just turn off the VPN

OK, that sounds like “just drop your shields” with an armada of both cloaked and uncloaked Klingon Birds of Prey ahead and Borg cubes behind!  I am going to decline that option, jump into warp drive, and beat a hasty retreat so I can live to fight another day, when my odds are better!

Thanks for taking time to reply.

2 users thanked author for this post.
          BB, Fred
          • #2085981 Reply

jabeattyauditor
            AskWoody Lounger

What do you believe your VPN is doing for you besides (supposedly) disguising your true point of origin?

• #2086072 Reply

woody
              Da Boss

That’s an excellent question.

Many of the people who access AskWoody are doing so from countries that have a nasty habit of snooping. I understand why they use a VPN. (I did, too, when I lived in Thailand.) But for day-to-day stuff, I don’t see much benefit to it. Particularly with SSL so ubiquitous.

2 users thanked author for this post.
            • #2086648 Reply

Northwest Rick
              AskWoody Plus

What do you believe your VPN is doing for you besides (supposedly) disguising your true point of origin?

I believe it renders me impossible to track (or at least very difficult).  I prefer to put up with the inconvenience of hit-or-miss access to AskWoody than risk my anonymity for mere convenience.  Convenience is not a primary value for me.  You will never see me in a 7-Eleven paying twice as much for a six-pack, just because it happens to be on my way home.

As for the obvious dissent embedded in “supposedly” (or is it sarcasm?) I don’t have sufficient expertise to argue the point.  Or the interest.

• #2086073 Reply

woody
            Da Boss

Naw, just turn off the VPN when you want to get onto AskWoody, and turn it back on again when you leave. Much easier that way…

• #2086672 Reply

Northwest Rick
              AskWoody Plus

Naw, just turn off the VPN when you want to get onto AskWoody, and turn it back on again when you leave. Much easier that way…

First, let me say I neither question nor dispute your expertise, but this is where we run into something I wrote earlier:

I prefer to solve my own problems and devise my own work-arounds

I am fully aware of my own limitations.  But relying on my innate capacity for objective analysis and judgment have served me well for seven decades and counting.  I consult here on AskWoody as a source of information, which becomes part of the data trove I must sort out.  The action plans I deploy may not be the best, or even strictly logical to those who have more expertise than I do, but they are MINE.

You will never find me in the self-help section of the bookstore, or in a therapist’s office, because I put the responsibility of figuring things out on myself, not on some stranger (especially if it requires me to reach for my wallet).  Again, this is not a prescription for everyone, but it has worked very well for ME.

So, when I disagree with your “Much easier that way” I am not saying you are wrong, I’m just saying it does not compute for ME.  In this case, it’s actually NOT simple:  if I turn off VPN for however long to thrust and parry on AskWoody, I am turning it off for my online connection to everything else as well, some of which are high-value, such as TD Ameritrade, or even Amazon.

I recently had to close an email account I had used for years because I suddenly started getting 30 junk emails OR MORE every day, which I could not stop, because the unsubscribe links they provided glitched out for one reason or another, leaving just physical addresses in Vancouver BC to make the request in writing.  Of course, these addresses were all different, requiring separate INTERNATIONAL mailings!  I suspect my email account was compromised by some hack somewhere, probably Amazon.  VPN would not have protected me from that, I suppose, but I consider evasiveness to be a good habit nevertheless.

So turning off VPN safely actually requires a shutdown, a dedicated session just on AskWoody without VPN, then a re-initiation of a VPN-protected session.  I would not characterize that as “simple”.  But hey, that’s just me!  I admit it, I am an odd duck!

I appreciate the service you provide here, and I will continue to use it.  I also think it’s worth the price of admission (a membership).  But neither you nor your sycophants should be surprised if I travel my own path!  I do have a sharp tongue which I deploy when appropriate, but it is never personal nor malicious!

Cheers!

• #2086078 Reply

Fred
            AskWoody Plus

Google Gravatar gstatic will know more to know about you visiting. Might be askwoody and/or wordfence cs and/or general_tracking orientated. All part of mass_data_collecting, I think 7-Eyes orientated (?).    TOR & VPN can do a job to disorientate these traffic flows…

After all.. Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us.
    • #2086753 Reply

Fred
      AskWoody Plus

I appreciate the service you provide here, and I will continue to use it. I also think it’s worth the price of admission (a membership). But neither you nor your sycophants should be surprised if I travel my own path! I do have a sharp tongue which I deploy when appropriate, but it is never personal nor malicious!

Good to see your reaction. My latest reaction was moderated into the blackhole. I too believe in using VPN for the very obvious reasons. The privacy rules used here in the usa have some broad space for interpretation. Let’s all try together to persuade microsoft and other to think more of the common user. Forced leaving Windows7 results in the need to buy new hardware.Question is how long this will be good anough to use a pc comfortly; or are will we all be forced into the clouds with meaningly subscriptions , virtually nothing?

greetings, Fred

After all.. Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get us.
    • #2087253 Reply

Zig
      AskWoody Plus

Woody,

My thread seems to have been hijacked by a discussion of VPNs. ??Any progress on the signin delay?

Zig

• #2087517 Reply

access-mdb
        AskWoody MVP

I was under the impression that this had been fixed, and a quick experiment to see how quick getting forums is has shown it to be the case for me. Are you still getting delays?

• #2087714 Reply

Zig
          AskWoody Plus

Somewhat:

Windows 10 Forum: still 14-15 seconds
          Windows Maintenance Forum: now very quick
          Code Red Forum: now very quick

Zig

• #2087779 Reply

access-mdb
      AskWoody MVP

Yes the Win 10 forum is slow compared to the rest (about 9 or 10 seconds for me).

The subforums are all pretty much instant.

Woody?

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Delay in signing in to forums

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.