News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Delete hidden Win7 program from Win10 computer.

Posted on duane6565 Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Delete hidden Win7 program from Win10 computer.

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        duane6565
        AskWoody Lounger

Good afternoon,

I am running Win10 on my laptop. I tried to install a Win7 program for a car scanning tool, called Actron. The program didn’t install completely and I hit the cancel button. The program did install a desktop shortcut called “Actron”. When I tried to uninstall the program, I couldn’t find it in the “apps list” or the “program list”. Most of the files seem to be installed in C:\Program Data\Scanning Suite\Acton. The uninstaller that came with the program didn’t work. What is the best way to uninstall this program? Is there a good 3rd party uninstall program I should buy and use?  Thank you for your help.    duane6565

• #2267001 Reply
        Paul T
        AskWoody MVP

I usually install it again and then uninstall. Until the install has worked properly Windows thinks it’s not installed.

cheers, Paul

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #2267002 Reply
        Alex5723
        AskWoody Plus

What is the best way to uninstall this program? Is there a good 3rd party uninstall program I should buy and use?

Try the free portable Geekuninstaller and select ‘Force removal’.
        Have you tried to open the Start Menu looking for Actron and uninstalling ?

• #2269968 Reply
        duane6565
        AskWoody Lounger

I usually install it again and then uninstall. Until the install has worked properly Windows thinks it’s not installed.

cheers, Paul

Hi Alex5723. When I right clicked on the Acton desktop icon & selected “uninstall”, nothing happened. So, I posted my question to Woody’s Windows 10 forum. I continued using my computer for at least another hour, but the Acton program was still there. The next day when I turned my computer on, the “Acton” desktop icon was gone & all its program files were also gone from C:\Program Data. I was so surprised!

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #2269996 Reply
          Paul T
          AskWoody MVP

Probably the program had files that were in use so a reboot was required to complete the uninstall.

cheers, Paul

Viewing 3 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Delete hidden Win7 program from Win10 computer.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.