News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Delinquent email notifications

Home Forums AskWoody Central Suggestions about improving the Lounge Delinquent email notifications

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Author
        EricB
        AskWoody Plus

Just today, 7/19 I received several email notifications from the site that there were responses from 7/16 to a then active thread.   Email notifications that take several days to be received aren’t very useful.

doriel
        AskWoody Lounger

This is not how its supposed to work. I think the delay is 30 minutes (after post is closed for editing, it depends, how this website is configured). Two days delay is weird. Who is you email provider? Maybe his services were recently unavailable. All works for me last few days as it should, no issue for me so far. Hope it will work for you too.

Dell Latitude E6530, Intel Core i5 @ 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, W10 20H2 Enterprise

HAL3000, AMD Athlon 200GE @ 3,4 GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 29

PRUSA i3 MK3S+

EricB
          AskWoody Plus

Nope.  I’ve been receiving email every day in a timely fashion from other senders for the past several days so I don’t think the problem is on the receiving end.

kstephens43
          AskWoody Plus

With my email provider (Comcast), most responses are very quick.  However, from time to time, I have experienced as much as two- or even three-day delays.  Comcast insists that they are not the problem, but I can’t fathom anywhere else the delay could have occurred.

Linda2019
        AskWoody Plus

I have never received an email notification on my posts – when I have clicked “notify me”

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Can you look at the email headers to track the time stamps on the various node hops?
        In Thunderbird: View > Headers > All
        These headers appear in a scrollable area immediately above the body of the email.

Remember to change back to Headers > Normal when finished.

OscarCP
          AskWoody Plus

PaulK, please correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems to me that Linda2019 is saying that she has never got an email notification when she selects “notify me”, so I would guess that she has no such emails, so she has no relevant email headers to look into, so …

For my part, I only subscribe for emails from a few forums and have never asked for emails with replies to something I have posted somewhere here, because I can find those replies easily enough later that day when checking “New Posts: Last day”, etc. here. Of those forums I subscribe to, only “Red Hot” security seems to be reasonably active. So every day, bright and early, I get to read Alex’s and Nibbled to Death by Ducks’ latest Internet and Cloud dire tales of woe, and then I am off, fully prepared to take on the rest of my day.

Ex Windows user (Win. 98, XP, 7) since mid-2020. Now: running macOS Mojave & sometimes, Linux (Mint)

MacBook Pro circa mid-2015, 15" display, with16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, a Haswell architecture Intel CPU with 4 Cores and 8 Threads model i7-4870HQ @ 2.50GHz.
          Intel Iris Pro GPU with Built-in Bus, VRAM 1.5 GB, Display 2880 x 1800 Retina, 24-Bit color.
          Waterfox "Current" and (now and then) Chrome. Webroot SA AV and Malwarebytes.

PaulK
        AskWoody Lounger

Thank you Oscar, but this was a reply to EricB.

I too sometimes have gotten a ‘delayed email’ (no, not from here), that is, the time stamp was significantly earlier than when it got to me. The ones that I looked at showed that the originating site had held them for hours. PERHAPS the sender had had them stuck in an Outbox, and didn’t actually Send them until much later. I can’t comment on AskWoody.

EricB
          AskWoody Plus

I did look at the headers and they show a 3 day lag between the activity on the askwoody site and the date my ISP received the notification message.

PaulK
            AskWoody Lounger

IF you still have the emails, consider DMing to Susan and ask if she wants to have them (or one) for analysis.

Susan Bradley
            Manager

Please do, as the emails get relayed to sendgrid and I don’t see any issues with them.

Susan Bradley Patch Lady

EricB
              AskWoody Plus

Maybe I’m just stupid but I have no idea what I’m supposed to enter as your user id in a DM & I can’t find any instructions on the site.

Update

I think I figured it out and sent you a DM.  Fingers crossed it actually sent to you. 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, no politics or religion.

Reply To: Delinquent email notifications

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.