News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more. Tech help. No bull. We're community supported by donations from our Plus Members, and proud of it
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Delivery Optimization Forced

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 Delivery Optimization Forced

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  b 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

anonymous

In the past I have always disabled Delivery Optimization manually at the start of each session by selecting Disabled and Stop. With the May 21 Update to Win 10 Home 1803 Microsoft has grayed out the selection box and selected “Automatic Start”. Also the Stop box is grayed out. So now I get 2 GB of bandwidth used every time I start up. Just ridiculous. Anyway around this??

• #1760075 Reply

PKCano
      Da Boss

Are you using Metered connections. They should not be able to download large updates over Metered connections.

Otherwise, my recommendation would be to invest $99.99US in a Pro upgrade.

OR

Use third-party software to control Windows Update.

• #1760369 Reply

Rick Corbett
      AskWoody_MVP

Anyway around this??

Yes… you have to remove the security that prevents you from applying any changes to the service state in the ‘Services’ management console GUI.

wudo-protection

The security has been added to the registry.

Also – as you may already be aware – MS have implemented a Windows Remediation Service (sedsvc) and a Windows Update Medic Service (WaaSMedicSvc) – both of which check for fiddling with Windows Update components and processes like WUDO (Windows Update Delivery Optimization)… so you have to deal with these 2 services as well.

Here’s how to do it:

1. Run REGEDIT (using the *right*-click option to Run as Administrator).
      2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\

(Note: Be aware that the forum software keeps deleting the backslashes in the registry path.)

1. For each of the following 3 services – DoSvc, sedsvc, WaaSMedicSVC – expand the registry key and delete any Security sub-key in the *left*-hand pane.wudo-delete-protection(This is the protection that prevents you applying any change to a service in the management console GUI.)Don’t worry – the sub-key won’t be deleted… but the Security entry in the *right*-hand pane should go. Sometimes you’ll get an error, other times it’ll just delete the Security entry in the right-hand pane leaving the Default entry untouched… but pressing F5 to refresh the view should show the Security entry in the right-hand pane has gone.
      2. For the same services (DoSvc, sedsvc, WaaSMedicSVC), change the DWORD value for Start to 4 (which means Disabled).
      3. In the ‘Services’ management console you should now be able to stop the Delivery Optimization service. (or use a BAT file to both stop and disable the services at the same time).

For example:

net stop dosvc
      sc config dosvc start= disabled

wudo-disabled

Hope this helps…

Attachments:
      • #1760378 Reply

b
        AskWoody Plus

What does all that achieve that we can’t achieve with an off switch in Settings?

How to control Windows Update Delivery Optimization

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1760380 Reply

PKCano
          Da Boss

The user said the settings were grayed out/not available after the update. (but the May 21st update was the non-security Preview)

• #1760382 Reply

b
            AskWoody Plus

They were talking about Services. You don’t get “Disabled”, “Stop” or “Automatic start” in Settings.

Knuckle dragger Cannon fodder Chump Daft glutton Idiot Crazy/Ignorant Toxic drinker Blockhead Unwashed mass Seeker/Sucker "Ancient/Obsolete" (Group ASAP) Win10 v.1909

• #1762574 Reply

PKCano
              Da Boss

The “s” was not capitalized. What would you call the placements of the functional options in Services (or anywhere for that matter) but “settings” (with a small “s”). Who said anything about the Settings app?

• #1762629 Reply

b
              AskWoody Plus

The “s” was not capitalized.

Yours wasn’t, but mine was.

What would you call the placements of the functional options in Services (or anywhere for that matter) but “settings” (with a small “s”).

I’d call them settings with a small “s”.

Who said anything about the Settings app?

I did. And then you replied with a comment which is now apparently irrelevant to my question. (I presume you didn’t view the link I included which should have made it obvious what I was asking.)

I don’t understand why disabling DoSvc (30 complex actions) is better than switching off Delivery Optimization in Settings (6 quick clicks). Do you?

• #1761982 Reply

anonymous

Many thanks for all the replies. One mentioned it was not the May 21 update. I just thought maybe it was since I just noticed it. Why is Microsoft making this so hard. Chromebook is looking very tempting now!

• #1762563 Reply

DriftyDonN
      AskWoody Plus

m$ft is certainly making a case for linux….

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Delivery Optimization Forced

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.