News, tips, advice, support for Windows, Office, PCs & more
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon

We're community supported and proud of it!

• Dell Inspiron freezes on startup

Home » Forums » AskWoody support » Windows » Windows 10 » Questions: Win10 » Dell Inspiron freezes on startup

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago.
    Author
    Topic

Dell inspiron freezes on the windows screen when turned on. Works fine after powered off and restarted.  Hardware checks out fine and all updates to windows 10 show no problem.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Author
    Replies

What version and Build of WIn10 are you running? Type winver in the search bar and hit Enter.

You might start by turning off Fast Startup.
      Control Panel\Power Options\Choose what the power buttons do – uncheck Fast Startup

There was a BIOS update recently for a CVE.  See if you’re on the latest version by visiting Dell’s support site.  Old BIOS’s can do strange things to Dells.  In the Setup screens (spam F2 during boot) there are settings similar to fast start up mentioned above for booting.  I keep mine at thorough boot.  The setup capabilities on Inspirons are very involved, be careful changing stuff you don’t understand.

BIOS version can be found in the setup utility or Control Panel>Administrative tools>Computer Information, in list on right side.

I have a Dell Inspiron and have experienced similar problems. Their boot process goes through some very strange, non-standard things. That caused me great grief a few months ago, by making Windows Updates not work. (We eventually solved that problem after many hours of work.)

Incidentally, be careful about listening to Dell’s customer service people. Some of them are not very well trained, and some even give extremely bad (destructive) advice, from which you may never recover.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    Reply To: Dell Inspiron freezes on startup

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.